• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance And How To Properly Share The Gospel

• Members

Keep in the mind that John's Gospel is a supplement to the other 3 Gospels, Repentance is dealt with heavily in the Synoptic Gospels, therefore there is no need for John to stress it as much, John's purpose for writing his Gospel was to show the Deity of Christ and to cause people to turn to him by faith. 

Repentence is "stressed" in the other Gospels since they are aimed at Israel.

The Gospel of the Circumcision involves not only the individual, but the Nation as well.

No National Repentence = No Kingdom on Earth

Being written at a much later date, and after all hope was gone for Israel with the destruction of the Temple,

John's Gospel reflects the Gospel to the Uncircumcision (ie: Gentiles).

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me [Paul],
as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;  Galatians 2:7

If I were discipling someone after salvation, I would stress how to learn to "walk in the Spirit"
rather than reverting back to the Self/Ego (as was the case before salvation), as otherwise, the Devil
can keep you on a continuous never-ending treadmill of repentance.  See Romans 8

Edited by beameup

• Members

Repentence is "stressed" in the other Gospels since they are aimed at Israel.

The Gospel of the Circumcision involves not only the individual, but the Nation as well.

No National Repentence = No Kingdom on Earth

Being written at a much later date, and after all hope was gone for Israel with the destruction of the Temple,

John's Gospel reflects the Gospel to the Uncircumcision (ie: Gentiles).

But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me [Paul],
as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;  Galatians 2:7

If I were discipling someone after salvation, I would stress how to learn to "walk in the Spirit"
rather than reverting back to the Self/Ego (as was the case before salvation), as otherwise, the Devil
can keep you on a continuous never-ending treadmill of repentance.  See Romans 8

in Acts it says that God commands all men everywhere to repent. 

• Members

in Acts it says that God commands all men everywhere to repent. 

Yes, quite right, a verse from Paul's quite lenghty sermon on Mars Hill (Acts 17).

I think that perhaps some misinterpret the meaning to be "penance", which is what the Catholic Church teaches.

In regards to Israel (genetic Hebrews):

For the gifts and calling of God are without repentanceRomans 11:29 - same Greek word in a different context.

Edited by beameup

• Members

No one in the history of mankind has ever been saved without realizing they are lost first. Using the 10 commandments to convince a person they're lost is no different than asking them where will they go when they die, or preaching hell fire and eternity. By the way, if you use Romans road at all when you're witnessing then you are using the 10 commandments you're just not being specific (All have sinned...how do you know that? There's a standard that all have missed. ie. 10 commandments)

I have found that the "pray this prayer" method creates shallow christians at times that after the newness wears off they disappear from the church and never show any fruit of being saved. Were they actually saved....only they know.

We as fundamental baptist christians need to get away from the mindset that we just lead them to Christ and that's it. Knock on doors, get them saved, and leave them to not be seen or heard from again. With salvation comes a great responsibility to teach them as well.

Matthew 28:20, Acts 1:1, Acts 15:35, Acts 18:11, Acts 28:30-31, Colossians 1:28, Colossians 3:16

PLEASE understand that I am not suggesting any kind of works salvation, I would just like to see saved individuals become firm in their faith, being well learned in correct doctrine so that body of Christ will grow and be strong.

the prOBlem in using the law is this.  You show them the law to worship God and him alone or any of the other laws and convince them they have not Kept them.  they agree get saved and then believe they must keep those laws there after and that is not the truth.

Get them Saved, teach them and be an example of how to live by faith in Christ for the word says, Col 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:  Ye were saved by grace through Faith alone and you must learn to live by grace through faith alone.  You must teach through example how to stand strong in the Grace of God and how to produce fruit of that in their lives and teach them how to commit that standing strong in the Grace to others as well. 2Tim 2:1&2 ¶ Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.   And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

We must learn and teach how to walk as an anointed one i.e. a Christian, When you walk in the spirit you are walking in the anointing 2Cor 1:21&22 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;  Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.  when you do you will produce the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:16-25 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.  For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.   But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.   Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,  Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,  Envyings, murders, dunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.   But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.   And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.   If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

If we learn this then we will have the mind of Christ that unites us in a way that is powerful Col 3:12-17 ¶ Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;  Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.   And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.   And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.   Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.   And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

2Co 13:11 ¶ Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you. 

Php 2:1-9 ¶ If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,  Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.   Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.   Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.   Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not rOBbery to be equal with God:  But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became OBedient unto death, even the death of the cross.   Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

The prOBlem is many teachers/preachers are not teaching the Word as much as they are teaching their interpretation of it and all the worldliness that goes with it.  Prosperity theology, Replacement theology, Preterest theology even Pre-trib/pre-mellennial theology can usurp Gods word which is to edify the Body of Christ and glorify God.

Theology and those major doctrines are good but far better is teaching them how to live a new life in Christ Jesus as an anointed Son of God called to be adopted, forgiven, sanctified, holy and righteous in this world.  the Law does none of that but the Spirit filled life does.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

don't whittle your sword down to the size of needle 

2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

• Members

the prOBlem in using the law is this.  You show them the law to worship God and him alone or any of the other laws and convince them they have not Kept them.  they agree get saved and then believe they must keep those laws there after and that is not the truth.

Get them Saved, teach them and be an example of how to live by faith in Christ for the word says, Col 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:  Ye were saved by grace through Faith alone and you must learn to live by grace through faith alone.  You must teach through example how to stand strong in the Grace of God and how to produce fruit of that in their lives and teach them how to commit that standing strong in the Grace to others as well. 2Tim 2:1&2 ¶ Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.   And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also.

We must learn and teach how to walk as an anointed one i.e. a Christian, When you walk in the spirit you are walking in the anointing 2Cor 1:21&22 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God;  Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.  when you do you will produce the fruit of the Spirit Gal 5:16-25 This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.  For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.   But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.   Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,  Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,  Envyings, murders, dunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.   But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,  Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.   And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.   If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

If we learn this then we will have the mind of Christ that unites us in a way that is powerful Col 3:12-17 ¶ Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering;  Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.   And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness.   And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.   Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.   And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

2Co 13:11 ¶ Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you. 

Php 2:1-9 ¶ If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,  Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.   Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.   Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.   Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  Who, being in the form of God, thought it not rOBbery to be equal with God:  But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:  And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became OBedient unto death, even the death of the cross.   Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

The prOBlem is many teachers/preachers are not teaching the Word as much as they are teaching their interpretation of it and all the worldliness that goes with it.  Prosperity theology, Replacement theology, Preterest theology even Pre-trib/pre-mellennial theology can usurp Gods word which is to edify the Body of Christ and glorify God.

Theology and those major doctrines are good but far better is teaching them how to live a new life in Christ Jesus as an anointed Son of God called to be adopted, forgiven, sanctified, holy and righteous in this world.  the Law does none of that but the Spirit filled life does.

When a person properly understands the Law and their guilt before God, then it becomes OBvious that their keeping of the Law will not save them, 

This is why you must explain that Jesus is the payment for penalty of sin and that only by trusting in him alone can a person have salvation.

Your logic is nonsense, they won't think they have to keep the Law to be saved if you explain to them that they are guilty no matter if they keep the law for the rest of their lives.

this is why you take time to explain things.

• Members

I agree. I deleted some of your quote just for sake of length . I don't agree with how Ray Comfort does his. It's like he leaves off the main part....faith. No one will ever truly repent without Jesus Christ FIRST. You cannot do it without him. I do believe you have to repent but my definition of repent is simply "a change of mind" or "to turn from one way of thinking to another". God repented although He never sinned. Jonah 3:10

I am curious as to what you use as an ice breaker or even the prelude to your witnessing methods. I guess what I'm asking is how do you personally get someone to understand that they are in need of a Savior?

No arguements, just really open to a new approach of presenting the gospel if it's effective.

• Members

When a person properly understands the Law and their guilt before God, then it becomes OBvious that their keeping of the Law will not save them, 

This is why you must explain that Jesus is the payment for penalty of sin and that only by trusting in him alone can a person have salvation.

Your logic is nonsense, they won't think they have to keep the Law to be saved if you explain to them that they are guilty no matter if they keep the law for the rest of their lives.

this is why you take time to explain things.

Yeah, explain that to the millions now falling from grace in trying to fulfill the Law under Lordship Salvation, and the new Yahweh cults that also want to follow the OT laws today. 

I have a friend was a solid baptist until he got involved with the "Way of the Master " from Ray comfort.  Got it brought to his local Baptist Church and they all went through it.  later the church was split and he and others started another group called Hebraic Fellowship of Lynchburg of which he is the leader.

I have watched this "Way of the Master Series "for years ruin men and women and all they use is the 10 commandments to lead them to Christ.

You'll never convince me that that is the way. 

So did you find any scriptures where Paul used the law to lead Gentiles to Salvation?  Or Jesus? Or Peter and the other disciples?

And please don't use Galatians because that is not about Paul using law to lead people to Christ.  That is explaining the uselessness of keeping the law.

• Members

No they're not. If that were true all the churches would be packed with people wanting to know the Gospel. Now you have to beg for one minute of someone's time so they will at least HEAR the Gospel or read it.

Missy,  People are convicted but they don't necessarily want to give up their old life for a new one in Christ Jesus.  I have seen people and you can see it in their eyes the conviction but they were so hard of heart they would not take a step of Faith.  If pastors do as I do they mix the gospel message in with their teaching so that it is presented at least twice during the message and then a clear presentation at the end of it.

• Members

Yeah, explain that to the millions now falling from grace in trying to fulfill the Law under Lordship Salvation, and the new Yahweh cults that also want to follow the OT laws today. 

I have a friend was a solid baptist until he got involved with the "Way of the Master " from Ray comfort.  Got it brought to his local Baptist Church and they all went through it.  later the church was split and he and others started another group called Hebraic Fellowship of Lynchburg of which he is the leader.

I have watched this "Way of the Master Series "for years ruin men and women and all they use is the 10 commandments to lead them to Christ.

You'll never convince me that that is the way. 

So did you find any scriptures where Paul used the law to lead Gentiles to Salvation?  Or Jesus? Or Peter and the other disciples?

And please don't use Galatians because that is not about Paul using law to lead people to Christ.  That is explaining the uselessness of keeping the law.

This pretty much tells me you did not listen to my message.

Mar 10:17  And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? 
Mar 10:18  And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. 
Mar 10:19  Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. 
Mar 10:20  And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I OBserved from my youth. 
Mar 10:21  Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. 
Mar 10:22  And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions. 

Jesus was using the Law on this man, he nailed him with idolatry.

• Members

2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

don't whittle your sword down to the size of needle 

It is easy to quote such a verse as this but then fail to show whether using the Ten is a Doctrine? a correction? an instruction? 

Paul used the law term in Galatians to show an instruction that the law was useless except to lead them to Christ. And that does mean they found no other way.  It means that Jesus saves by his work and not by the law. The law will not work for anything except outward righteousness.  He fulfilled the law not by OBedience to the Law, but by fulfilling it in the sacrificial act of shedding his righteous blood as the sinless pure lamb of God.

• Members

This pretty much tells me you did not listen to my message.

Mar 10:17  And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life? 
Mar 10:18  And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God. 
Mar 10:19  Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother. 
Mar 10:20  And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I OBserved from my youth. 
Mar 10:21  Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me. 
Mar 10:22  And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions. 

Jesus was using the Law on this man, he nailed him with idolatry.

you're quoting a message to a JEW under LAW, PRE CROSS and this has nothing to do with Salvation for the CROSS has not taken place yet.  This is all OBeying law if you want to live in the Kingdom and then take it to the next step Sell everything and follow Christ, and if he did it and lived it then he could enter the Kingdom (either by resurrection of the martyred saints or enduring to the end of the tribulation) where he would get eternal life by eating of the fruit of the Tree of Life or if he died before the kingdom came then at the judgement he would be given the right to enter in the New Jerusalem and eat of it.