• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repentance And How To Properly Share The Gospel

• Members

In every instance of using the 10 commandments to lead someone to Christ you will create a legalist because the natural progression is if I didn't keep them and am guilty of that then I must keep them after I get saved.

This is why Ray Comfort and his Lordship Salvation movement came about from his "Way of the Master Series"

Many of the new Yeshua and YAH cults were invented because of the Way to the Master Series.  I know many men who have fallen from grace in this manner.  Beware of using the 10 comandement to convict Gentiles they are not right with God.

Paul's word makes it clear that we were without God or the covenants because we were Gentiles (not the people of God).  We come to God through Christ who died for our sins period not that we broke the Law that was given for all Israel on Mr Horeb.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members

I agree with AVBB (to a point, and perhaps AVBB agrees with me, perhaps not) The 10 commandments and using the law as a schoolmaster is good, and a solid way to help some recognize where they stand without Christ. However In my opinion after you have brought them there dictates if your preaching works or not. Ray and the new evangelical movement (paul washer comes to mind) is all about getting clean before you come to Jesus. "you have to repent and turn completely away from your sins, then come to God" is the exact order it always comes out. Repentance and Faith they call it and claim it but it really is preached as Repentance and THEN faith. When in reality, A Repentant heart, is a heart that isn't fully cleansed, but one that has decided to change from what it was, and faith comes alongside, not after or before, but along with, to guide into the arms of the only one who can Cleanse and bring down a path of sanctification (a repentant heart and belief are part of the same "coin" so to speak).

in short -> Sanctification at salvation is no marker of justification. If my level of sanctification proves weather or not I am justified then I am hopeless as the smallest Sin is as filthy as the greatest.

Im sure this is elementary to a lot of older folk around here, but my goodness if Paul washers 'gospel' isn't wildfire amongst those my age in surrounding areas.

• Members

I agree with AVBB (to a point, and perhaps AVBB agrees with me, perhaps not) The 10 commandments and using the law as a schoolmaster is good, and a solid way to help some recognize where they stand without Christ. However In my opinion after you have brought them there dictates if your preaching works or not. Ray and the new evangelical movement (paul washer comes to mind) is all about getting clean before you come to Jesus. "you have to repent and turn completely away from your sins, then come to God" is the exact order it always comes out. Repentance and Faith they call it and claim it but it really is preached as Repentance and THEN faith. When in reality, A Repentant heart, is a heart that isn't fully cleansed, but one that has decided to change from what it was, and faith comes alongside, not after or before, but along with, to guide into the arms of the only one who can Cleanse and bring down a path of sanctification (a repentant heart and belief are part of the same "coin" so to speak).

in short -> Sanctification at salvation is no marker of justification. If my level of sanctification proves weather or not I am justified then I am hopeless as the smallest Sin is as filthy as the greatest.

Im sure this is elementary to a lot of older folk around here, but my goodness if Paul washers 'gospel' isn't wildfire amongst those my age in surrounding areas.

Self sanctification will not make anyone clean.  At Salvation it is imputed to you through Faith on Jesus Christ, Sanctification, Justification, Righteousness, Holiness and Godliness.  You need only walk in His Spirit or the Holy Ghost to live accordingly.  Gentiles walking in the Spirit will by the Imputed divine nature stay pure, clean and in service to Christ and produce fruit that is not theirs by any amount of works.

• Members

Self sanctification will not make anyone clean.  At Salvation it is imputed to you through Faith on Jesus Christ, Sanctification, Justification, Righteousness, Holiness and Godliness.  You need only walk in His Spirit or the Holy Ghost to live accordingly.  Gentiles walking in the Spirit will by the Imputed divine nature stay pure, clean and in service to Christ and produce fruit that is not theirs by any amount of works.

sounds like we're in agreement :godisgood:

• Members

Did you all even listen to my sermon?

I dealt with some of your concerns, I made sure to explain that repentance is not a work that someone must do to be saved and i made it very clear that you do not clean up to get saved.

In reponse to AVBB:

I have personally used the 10 commandments approach and seen handfuls of people pray to receive Christ: It's biblical and it works, For you to tell us to stop using the Law I consider to be heretical.

• Members

Galatians 3:24-25 (KJV)
24  Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
25  But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster. 

Keep preaching the law brother!  Just make sure they read the next verse as well releasing them from it after they have come to Christ by faith.

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power.  For His glory.

• Members

I dealt with some of your concerns, I made sure to explain that repentance is not a work that someone must do to be saved and i made it very clear that you do not clean up to get saved.

In reponse to AVBB:

I have personally used the 10 commandments approach and seen handfuls of people pray to receive Christ: It's biblical and it works, For you to tell us to stop using the Law I consider to be heretical.

when did I say dont use the law? did you even read my post? dont be so sensitive

• Moderators

In reponse to AVBB:

when did I say dont use the law? did you even read my post? dont be so sensitive

You must have missed where he went from responding to you and was responding to AVBB 

• Members

In reponse to AVBB:

its Biblical!  Ha!  I never read anywhere where Peter or the Eleven or others as well as Paul use the 10 commandments to lead people to Christ.

Scripture chapter and verse is needed for it to be Biblical.  Just saying it is Biblical proves nothing. 

Show me where in the Bible they used the 10 and so will I.  Until then I preach Christ crucified and his resurrection.  We Gentiles are lost in sin no need for Jewish laws to prove that.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

• Members
Romans 3:19-20
19   Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20   Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Written to Gentiles...

• Members

No one in the history of mankind has ever been saved without realizing they are lost first. Using the 10 commandments to convince a person they're lost is no different than asking them where will they go when they die, or preaching hell fire and eternity. By the way, if you use Romans road at all when you're witnessing then you are using the 10 commandments you're just not being specific (All have sinned...how do you know that? There's a standard that all have missed. ie. 10 commandments)

I have found that the "pray this prayer" method creates shallow christians at times that after the newness wears off they disappear from the church and never show any fruit of being saved. Were they actually saved....only they know.

We as fundamental baptist christians need to get away from the mindset that we just lead them to Christ and that's it. Knock on doors, get them saved, and leave them to not be seen or heard from again. With salvation comes a great responsibility to teach them as well.

Matthew 28:20, Acts 1:1, Acts 15:35, Acts 18:11, Acts 28:30-31, Colossians 1:28, Colossians 3:16

PLEASE understand that I am not suggesting any kind of works salvation, I would just like to see saved individuals become firm in their faith, being well learned in correct doctrine so that body of Christ will grow and be strong.

• Members

Since John dealt with leading Gentiles to Christ while imprisoned on Patmos,

I would look at the qualifications for salvation laid out in John's Gospel

(which was written in 90 A.D. - 20 years following the destruction of the Temple).

John 1:12

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become
the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

• Members

Since John dealt with leading Gentiles to Christ while imprisoned on Patmos,

I would look at the qualifications for salvation laid out in John's Gospel

(which was written in 90 A.D. - 20 years following the destruction of the Temple).

John 1:12

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become
the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:

Keep in the mind that John's Gospel is a supplement to the other 3 Gospels, Repentance is dealt with heavily in the Synoptic Gospels, therefore there is no need for John to stress it as much, John's purpose for writing his Gospel was to show the Deity of Christ and to cause people to turn to him by faith.