• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why I Have Decided To Change My Music Standards.

• Members

I'd like to ask some of you to join me over on the Baptist Board in the discussion taking place, it's a mirror thread to this one, and I have to say I am having a hard time dealing with the bombardment of these people, I am prOBably the only one arguing for a more conservative view of music.

http://www.baptistboard.com/showthread.php?t=93567

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd like to ask some of you to join me over on the Baptist Board in the discussion taking place, it's a mirror thread to this one, and I have to say I am having a hard time dealing with the bombardment of these people, I am prOBably the only one arguing for a more conservative view of music.

Sorry Jordan, but I was banned from the BaptistBoard in 2008.  The truth offends.

• Members

Yea I left BB, too many calvinists, got tiring.

http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/pharmacy_music.html

Some may wonder why I focus so heavily upon this subject.  It is because of my first hand experience of the OBsessive power that music can have on us, regardless of our intent.  Satan is a master at taking things that are of God and twisting them to serve his own OBjectives.  Especially in these modern times, music can be incredibly dangerous and can consume one completely.  It is not just an issue of lyrics, as there are countless examples of instrumental music that can produce very powerful emotions that are not necessarily of God.  

Just because we experience strong emotions when listening to certain types of music and believe that we are having godly experiences, it doesn't mean that it is true.  It is very easy to whip an audience into an emotional frenzy to the extent that everyone there believes that they are being filled with the spirit.  I used to have very emotional experiences from listening to very ungodly music that I believed were godly, but I was wrong.  God is not the author of confusion and He does not promote the indulgence in evil things to bring about godly experiences.

I believe that the potential dangers of music is something that is minimized and marginalized to the detriment of the church.

The article you linked really gave me nothing to sway my position. While im glad you personally have a conviction, that doesnt mean that your conviction is accurate. coming back to Calvinism for a second, Calvinists have a conviction to preach the "doctrines of grace", but many people disagree with those "doctrines". All arguments thus far have been conjecture, not scripture. Now im not arguing for all CCM music. I think if music isn't for God or honors God. than its really useless, however this isnt to say someone cant write a song about how they love their wife... loving your wife is scriptural. regardless, all these "studies" on mice, or plants or whatever else are interesting, some even humorous, but lacking.

• Members

:puzzled3:studies on mice and plants?? what? I missed something...

I think he was prOBably referring to studies done of how music affects mice and plants.

yup, there's been a few

• Members

Yea I left BB, too many calvinists, got tiring.

The article you linked really gave me nothing to sway my position. While im glad you personally have a conviction, that doesnt mean that your conviction is accurate. coming back to Calvinism for a second, Calvinists have a conviction to preach the "doctrines of grace", but many people disagree with those "doctrines". All arguments thus far have been conjecture, not scripture. Now im not arguing for all CCM music. I think if music isn't for God or honors God. than its really useless, however this isnt to say someone cant write a song about how they love their wife... loving your wife is scriptural. regardless, all these "studies" on mice, or plants or whatever else are interesting, some even humorous, but lacking.

I think the difference lies in using genres that are OBviously very closely linked to immorality, for example Rock music has always been about sin and rebellion, yet people try to take that sound and use it to honor God?

I think there is a huge difference between singing Happy birthday to you with a harmless melody, and singing PRAISE JESUS to behind banging overpowering drum beats with screeching guitars. 

Get what I am saying?

• Members

I think the difference lies in using genres that are OBviously very closely linked to immorality, for example Rock music has always been about sin and rebellion, yet people try to take that sound and use it to honor God?

I think there is a huge difference between singing Happy birthday to you with a harmless melody, and singing PRAISE JESUS to behind banging overpowering drum beats with screeching guitars. 

Get what I am saying?

Yes I get it however I disagree though OBviously as I have made that clear... Also your happy birthday/praise Jesus comparison doesn't even make sense, but I get your 'point'

• Members

I have watched quite a few of them.  He does a fine jOB with them.  Thank you for linking to them.

The Secret Life of Plants was a popular book about how different things (including music) were shown to have effects on plants.  Stevie Wonder based one of his albums on that book.

I have watched quite a few of them.  He does a fine jOB with them.  Thank you for linking to them.

The Secret Life of Plants was a popular book about how different things (including music) were shown to have effects on plants.  Stevie Wonder based one of his albums on that book.

Have you read this book?

is it worth picking up?

• Moderators

So I supose there's no place for common sense and OBservational evidences in Christianity?

Bible doesn't condemn smoking, so its alright.

Bible doesn't condemn LSD, so it must be alright.

We can SEE the effects certain kinds of music have-there are both visual and measurable effects of certain types of music. I can tell how, in playing music in nursing homes, that many kinds of music produce no effect in some patientsa, while old hymns will bring recognition to some of their eyes and minds. There have been studies, as has been mentioned before.

We can also see how listening to, and adhereing to, certain types of music, whether 'Christian" or secular, can have a rebellious effect of people. 

Dan Luicarini tells of how his church moved into CCM, and as the older members, people who had built that church, who had worked through the heat of the day for the Lord, disliked it, and their attitude was that the old people were welcome to leave if they didn't like their music. That's rebellion.

I had a man in one of my services who was visiting for his granddaughter's baptism-he is, ostensibly a Christian, older than myself, (I'm 50). he liked CCM. In my sermon, I made a side comment about CCM, but it wasn't the subject of my lesson, nor did I spend more than perhaps 10 words on it, yet he stewed the rest of the sermon, and afterward, came directly to the pulpit, poked his finger in my chest, (literally), and said, "Listen, dude! you can't show me anywhere in the Bible where it says CCM is bad!" and he turned around and stalked out and sat in his car until his family was ready to leave. Not coloring outside the lines here.  All I have ever seen in the result is rebellion, adults acting like kids when someone dares to say there might be something wrong with it.

The clear issue is one of sanctification and holiness. The Lord told Moses and Aaron, after the deaths of Nadab and Abihu, "I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified." (Lev 10:3) Nadab and Abihu attempted to serve the Lord in the manner of the Egyptian priests, by waving their censers of incense before God-but they weren't commemded to do so, nor were they supposed to offer incense in censers at all-that was the pagan method of worship. They wanted to serve God in a pagan, secular manner. This is exactly what people do when they use the wicked music styles of the world, those associated with rebellion and sex, (the very term rock and roll means sex), is an unsanctified manner of worship. We are to be seaprated and sanctified and holy before the Lord, not sounding and acting like the world.

The Bible doesn't need to be specific-it says enough about sanctification and holiness that it shouldn't take a genius to see that rebellious, violent, sexual, sensual music styles, that have enough of a history to see that clearly, if one chooses to open their eyes, does not glorify God-it glorifies man, and attratcs our flesh.

Archived