• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why I Have Decided To Change My Music Standards.

• Members

JimsHelpmeet and Joseph Redgate's examples show how far the priority can go for music. Disgraceful in my view...but that's me. 

It truly is disgraceful, and I think it reflects poorly on the preacher's ability to minister to the congregation through the reading, and teaching, of the Word. When you have to use music either as a "filler" or, as in cases of contemporary non-denominational churches and charismatic ones, a means to whip the audience into an emotional frenzy to create a false spirit of being under conviction you have a serious prOBlem. And, in many churches, it's a pride thing. When you have a church that can boast the "choir of 150" or "we have a professional singer at our church" or "everyone who comes here just goes on and on about the music" it does give the church leaders' egos a boost.

Congregational hymns should be a way for the body of believers to lift their voices, in one accord, and make a joyful noise unto the Lord. When you're using a good hymn book, the lyrics are usually either straight from the King James Version Scriptures, or at least doctrinally sound. Our church uses the hymnals sold through Sword of the Lord. If you have special music, it should set the tone for the message. It should get people's hearts and minds prepared to receive the sermon. 

You can always tell the churches who put more emphasis on musical performance and stage smoke than preaching the Word. All one has to do is read the reviews on their Facebook page. If more than half are in praise of "the awesome music!", be wary.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JHM...is the hymnal you are using from Sword of the Lord called Soul-Stirring Songs & Hymns?  I have a copy of the 1972 (burgundy) edition before Curtis Hutson had the words of "The Old Account Was Settled" changed in order to remove "repentence" from that hymn.  Here's a little "clip" from a Friday Church News Notes (December 17, 2010):

From Friday Church News Notes: December 17, 2010 (SWORD OF THE LORD OMITS REPENTANCE FROM SPURGEON SERMON)

Under Hutson’s watch, the Sword also removed repentance from some of the hymns in the 1989 edition of the Soul Stirring Hymns. For example, the lyrics of “The Old Account Was Settled” were changed from “O sinner, seek the Lord, repent of your sin” to “O sinner, trust the Lord, be cleansed of all your sin.”

• Members

JHM...is the hymnal you are using from Sword of the Lord called Soul-Stirring Songs & Hymns?  I have a copy of the 1972 (burgundy) edition before Curtis Hutson had the words of "The Old Account Was Settled" changed in order to remove "repentence" from that hymn.  Here's a little "clip" from a Friday Church News Notes (December 17, 2010):

That is the one, but ours are older. What an odd thing for them to do. I wonder why such an otherwise sound organization remove the word "repentance". Puzzling. 

• Members

That is the one, but ours are older. What an odd thing for them to do. I wonder why such an otherwise sound organization remove the word "repentance". Puzzling. 

Read that entire portion of the Friday Church News Notes from the link I posted.  It pretty much explains why there was a "switch".  The Old Account Was Settled was just one of the hymns where they changed the lyrics to remove repentance. 

I'm looking for the original article about Curtis Hutson, but so far, I have not been able to find it.  An IFB pastor had written Sword about that change in lyrics and they said it would be corrected....I don't believe it has....yet.

• Members

In the newer additions of their hymnals they have said the restored the wording. I've not seen one of their newer versions, but they said they made the correction because of so much fallout from repentance and such being removed by Hutson. Of course they claim Hutson only did so to make the songs flow better (or something to that effect), not in trying to downplay repentance.

I've had a difficult time trying to understand some of Hutsons thoughts in this area. I've heard and read some of his stuff which seemed to acknowledge the need for repentance, but then in others he seems to say differently. This is why many have put him in the category of "easy believism" or "1, 2, 3, pray after me".

Has anyone seen or used the newer version of the Soul Stirring Songs and Hymns?

Unfortunately, the only copy I still have is one of those corrupted by Hutson.

• Moderators

In the newer additions of their hymnals they have said the restored the wording. I've not seen one of their newer versions, but they said they made the correction because of so much fallout from repentance and such being removed by Hutson. Of course they claim Hutson only did so to make the songs flow better (or something to that effect), not in trying to downplay repentance.

I've had a difficult time trying to understand some of Hutsons thoughts in this area. I've heard and read some of his stuff which seemed to acknowledge the need for repentance, but then in others he seems to say differently. This is why many have put him in the category of "easy believism" or "1, 2, 3, pray after me".

Has anyone seen or used the newer version of the Soul Stirring Songs and Hymns?

Unfortunately, the only copy I still have is one of those corrupted by Hutson.

I have the ones that have been changed also. I just wrte in the correct words-lol

Archived