• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question: Drunkeness And Medication

Arbo

• Members

Had a thought regarding people prescribed a pain medication that makes them "Loopy" (cannot think of a better word in English): Is such a person violating the principle against drunkenness/intoxication? I am speaking of post-operative or palliative medication, not someone who is addicted but does not need it.

Opinions?

• Moderators

Sometimes I've wondered whether the reason that God so strongly discouraged strong drink but never quite forbade it was to leave it as an option for medical uses like painkillers. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it seems related to me.

• Members

Sometimes I've wondered whether the reason that God so strongly discouraged strong drink but never quite forbade it was to leave it as an option for medical uses like painkillers. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it seems related to me.

Actually it reinforces what I have been thinking.

• Members

About 30 years ago, I suffered second degree burns over most of my forearm. I was in excruciating pain but, at the ER, they gave me this stuff called Demerol and in just a few minutes the pain was all gone but I was throwing kisses at the world for a good while....really happy :) That's the first and only time I ever had it and, no, it's not wrong to take medicine and "get high" from it...so long as you don't take it up as a habit. 

• Members

If you have an ongoing medical issue requiring medication, you need to find the medication that is both effective and has the fewest side effects.

Personally, I don't even take headache medication unless I am in a real state.
I think people in general are over medicated.
But I also realise that some definitely do need medication.

• Members

The Bible does say to give strong drink to those who are ready to perish, or to a heavy heart. I feel that equates to modern day medical treatment.

• Members

I agree, if it's needed there's nothing wrong with using it.

Like DaveW, I don't take pain medicines, even for headaches, unless I'm in serious pain. I get a 30 day supply of muscle relaxers for a back prOBlem I have but I don't even take those unless the pain gets really intense. My 30 day supply typically lasts until it expires. I like to have it around for when those intense back spasms kick in.

My wife has chronic neck pain, and she's had all the surgery they can do for it, so she takes pain pills and muscle relaxers daily.

• Members

Arbo, how do you know they don't need it? Don't just assume...A lot of people are too quick to judge who's in pain and who isn't and who needs meds and who doesn't.

"Don't need it" = not in pain or not medically necessary.

• Members

When it comes to pain that's a very variable matter. My pain tolerance is great compared to some, but compared to my Dad, my pain tolerance is much less since he has a very high tolerance for pain.

How much and what kind of pain medication is or isn't needed varies greatly between individuals.

• Members

I have a bottle of Lortab that was prescribed to me about two years ago when my gall bladder was taken out. I never had any pain afterwards so never took it. A few months ago, I had a dangerous Staph infection on my arm which was causing fever, chills and rapid pulse.. I had to be treated by a wound dOBtor, was prescribed two different antibiotics, and again was prescribed Lortab for pain, I never filled the Lortab prescription because I already had that at home from last time. I think I may have taken one of them so I still have a bottle full. I don't take any kind of pill unless I just have to.

I do take Benadryl as needed because I have severe allergy episodes, even to the point of asthma attacks. They're usually triggered by airborne allergens and certain foods. But even cold air will trigger an asthma attack especially during exertion, and my hands will break out into itching whelps if I hold something like a cold drink for very long. I can't take the best antibiotic choices for the staph infections because I'm allergic to Sulfa drugs too.

Archived