• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"'handicapped' Is Outdated And Offensive"

282Mikado

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I usually don't use any descriptive unless it is necessary for clarity.

I wouldn't have said "aboriginal" in the previous post except that it would have made no sense without the information.

I usually refer to "my friend", or "Joe", not my (insert descriptive) friend.

We are all the same - people.
But in certain circumstances the visually descriptive terms are useful.
If the police are warning about a dangerous criminal, "Caucasian male, brown hair, blue eyes, 6'2", heavy build" is important.

But derogatory use is never acceptable.

By the way, "Nigger" has nothing to do with Nigeria. It comes from the word "Negro", which is a generic term referring to any dark skinned person of African background.

In fact the name "Nigeria" was first used in the late 19th century, well after the term we are talking about.

• Members

Speaking of PC madness . . . . be glad you don't live in Sweden.

http://gatesofvienna.net/2014/05/the-insane-asylum-called-sweden/

God bless,

Larry

Oh, it's crazy in Sweden. You can have your IP traced and can be prosecuted for hate speech if you say negative things about sodomites or Muslims on the internet. 

• Members

This thread has been an eye-opener, and not in a positive sense.

Arbo, I think most of us are discussing how there were words we used growing up that are now considered "offensive". Words like "handicapped" and "lame". Do you believe it's wrong to call gays and lesbians sodomites? Perhaps you could share with us what about this thread is bothering you?  :blink:

• Members

Do white people get to use the lingo of blacks? PC aside, I think I'd avoid that, just to avoid causing offense. Anyone using the term *N...* up here (at least among white people) would be seriously socially stigmatized - as in, it's not okay.

On the other hand, using 'Indian' for Native Canadians is perfectly acceptable - mostly because we're not terrible PC in Alberta. The older generations don't find anything wrong with it, and I have to confess to inheriting that attitude - but it does change, slowly. I get a bit of a twitch when people refer to towns on the reserve as 'Indian villages' (it is a little rude to refer to a good-sized town as a village). My dad's generation, on the other hand, uses that term all the time.

Maybe the difference is that there are no real white/black issues up here; we get our information on that from history books and the media, and thus we accept the media's PC line as to what is and is not correct terminology in that area. Indian/white racism or other issues is what we deal with directly, so we have our own view and do not care for the eastern media's bias. If that makes any sense? Of course, things are getting really confused lately with the sheer number of East Indian immigrants.  Now we have to clarify what kind of Indians one is referring to. (Indians are natives, East Indians are from India - ha!) I have a feeling that will do more to change the Indian/native Canadian terminology than anything else. (I have issues with 'native Canadian', anyways. I'm a native Canadian. :frog:) And now there's a whole new area of issues! Not so much with racism - but cultural differences. Let me tell you, after growing up in rural (white) AB, with an Indian reserve next door, it feels really weird to go to the grocery store and find that, being white, you are in the minority! PrOBlem is that issues caused by cultural differences are very easily translated to being 'those people' and becoming racism. 

I'm curious - in areas of the country where y'all're used to referring to native Americans as Indians, what is the popular lingo for referring to people from India?

Having worked with black people for 18 years, I use the lingo with blacks Salyan.  My black friends and other black people don't have a prOBlem with it.  If they did, I wouldn't do it.  :)

BTW, can someone show me how to post a section of a post?  

• Members

I usually don't use any descriptive unless it is necessary for clarity.

I wouldn't have said "aboriginal" in the previous post except that it would have made no sense without the information.

I usually refer to "my friend", or "Joe", not my (insert descriptive) friend.

We are all the same - people.
But in certain circumstances the visually descriptive terms are useful.
If the police are warning about a dangerous criminal, "Caucasian male, brown hair, blue eyes, 6'2", heavy build" is important.

But derogatory use is never acceptable.

By the way, "Nigger" has nothing to do with Nigeria. It comes from the word "Negro", which is a generic term referring to any dark skinned person of African background.

In fact the name "Nigeria" was first used in the late 19th century, well after the term we are talking about.

Ooops.  I just saw this.  Thanks for clarifying, Dave.  The black people that I know and used to work with were wrong, then.  My grandmother (dad's side) was correct.  She was always praying for the Negros in the 1960's and 70's with segregation and such.  Since, my family is "Black Irish" my grandma always thought we were of African descent.  

What a relief. Let's hope they get all the details right and don't come after this Caucasion male, partially bald, gray-haired, blue-eyed, 5'9", medium build man. LOL

That is how a witness has to explain things to the police for the sketch artist, SFIC.  

Archived