• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Civil Rights Act Tore Down Walls, Expanded Reconciliation Efforts

RSS Robot

• Members

When the Civil Rights Act became law in 1964, there were pockets of Southern Baptists working for racial justice and equality. On the legislation's 50th anniversary, Baptist leaders are celebrating the fact that those pockets of activism have blossomed into a convention-wide emphasis on multiethnic cooperation to fulfill the Great Commission.

View the full article

• Members

If there was more racial peace today than there was in 1963 I would believe the Civil Rights Act was a good law, however I don't really see any improvement between the races in America or anywhere else for that matter.  The situation is still the same.  Those who want to get along, get along while those who don't wish to get along don't.  There are no signs that keep the races separated, it just happens all by itself.  No one has to tell a person to stay out of a certain area of town or don't walk down such and such a street . . . . common sense tells a person.  Common sense and a sense of self preservation.  Violence of all kinds happens more in some areas than others.  Just reading the paper or watching the news tells you what route to take.

You know, one of the favorite sayings of the liberals is, "you can't legislate morality" and they are right.  You can spread the gospel and hope the Holy Spirit will change some . . . . and He will.  Lawyers and bureaucrats have never changed anybody down deep inside.  Man in his born state cannot follow God's law or man's law.  That is why he must be born again . . . . born from above.

As I say to my wife when I go off on a rant . . . . that's my sermon for the day.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

I believe you can legislate morality.  During Prohibition, drinking and the violence associated with it plummeted.  When sodomy was illegal, you had less of it.  When abortion was illegal, you had less of that too.

The OP is dreaming in la la land.  The Civil Rights Movement was a political agenda incited by American Communists to provide more power to the Federal government and buy the allegiance of black folks.  How's it working out for them?  2/3 of their unborn children are murdered each day.  Nearly 3/4 of their homes are headed by a single parent or grand-parent.  How many of their men turned to drugs and wound up dead or in jail?  It's a travesty.  As a whole, these folks traded God for Government and look at what they've reaped.

America is less free today.  While it is immoral to refuse service to someone because one doesn't like them because of their color, the people in that locale can approve or disapprove of that businesses actions.  They'll either support them or put them out of business.  Likewise, the slighted people can move or patronize another business that accepts them.

How did that forced integration of schools work out?  Terribly.  My school in the 1980s was a war zone, not unlike the movie, "Lean on Me".  We had kids bused in from across town who brought their drugs, foul mouths and violence into our classrooms and neighborhood.  We spent more time watching our backs and fighting then the 3Rs.

• Moderators

Now see, my school was in an area that was already well-integrated, and, with the normal exception of small gangs and the like, as well as normal separation by choice, there were few prOBlems, and I had friends across the spectrum: black, white, hispanic, asian, nerds, surfers, and dopers alike. Somehow, like in society, those who wanted to integrate, did so, and those who didn't, didn't, and somehow we all managed to get along.

• Members

I believe you can legislate morality.  During Prohibition, drinking and the violence associated with it plummeted.  When sodomy was illegal, you had less of it.  When abortion was illegal, you had less of that too.

Prohibition was not a time of less drinking and certainly a time of less violence.  Instead of the corner store selling the booze the mOB went into the business of importation and sales.  The Federal Government gave us the FBI to combat it.  We still have the mOBs and the FBI.  The Federal Government declared a war on drugs.  We now have more and different kinds and varieties of drugs, a bigger FBI, more addicts, and more corrupted government officials.  We now have the largest per capita prison population in the world.  The only people who profit from legislating morals is government bureaucrats who who wish to grow their particular department.

Then their is the issue of church and state.  The worlds states are ungodly and to expect them to keep and promotes God's law is a hopeless hope.  The churches have failed in their responsibility to teach God's word.  I am not saying your church has failed it's responsibility, that is between you and God.  The church in general has failed.  Look at the churches around you. Are they having a big effect on the morals of your area?  They aren't in mine.  If you want to spread morality amongst a population you don't use a legislator you use God's word backed up by the Holy Spirit.

I'm through.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

I agree with your last Larry but disagree about Prohibition.  There was mOB violence but that's a pittance compared to the havoc heaped upon our society today.  I was taught that the FBI's primary role in those early days was to root out subversives like Communists and spies.

The war on drugs today is a travesty.  It should have been treated as a threat to National Security and the drug runners and dealers punished with death.  Hangings used to be a great deterrent to crime.  Now, there's little deterrent to crime, save for the Gospel.

• Members

I agree with your last Larry but disagree about Prohibition.  There was mOB violence but that's a pittance compared to the havoc heaped upon our society today.  I was taught that the FBI's primary role in those early days was to root out subversives like Communists and spies.

The war on drugs today is a travesty.  It should have been treated as a threat to National Security and the drug runners and dealers punished with death.  Hangings used to be a great deterrent to crime.  Now, there's little deterrent to crime, save for the Gospel.

Well Swath it appears neither one of us is correct about the history of the FBI: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/history/brief-history

I don't know about you but that was my first mistake.   :icon_redface:

God bless,

Larry

Archived