• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Titus 1:6 - Pastoral Qualifications

Pastorj

• Members

Sister LuAnne raises an interesting question. What of a pastor who has raised two children and one passes away? I'm really not trying to twist Scripture out of context to suit any sort of agenda, as I have no horse in this race. My husband has never been called to the ministry and he isn't qualified anyway, being a divorced and remarried man. We are both at peace being used for God's purposes in whatever capacity is scripturally available to us. But I'm concerned about those who have already endured the pain of childlessness, and not by their choosing, being excluded from church leadership roles. I can understand if there is an unwillingness to procreate, but I'm speaking of cases where the couple is physically incapable.  I am curious about adoption, as I was under a pastor once who had one biological child, and one adopted. 

Also, would this be something the church could put to a vote? If a pastor was unable to procreate, or he had one child who had left the faith as an adult, should he be allowed to pastor the church if the board of elders, and congregation, saw he was otherwise fit to lead and voted to keep him on as pastor?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wasn't the one giving all this doctrine and advice unmarried with no children? Could he mean that if you are a married pastor with children, then your kids should be well behaved? OBviously Paul knew how to be a good leader.

I was wondering about this myself.  Paul was unmarried with no children, but had a leadership role.  Was there an exception because of his Apostleship? or could there be a misunderstanding of requirements?

• Administrators

I was wondering about this myself.  Paul was unmarried with no children, but had a leadership role.  Was there an exception because of his Apostleship? Actually, I believe things would be more strict because of Apostleship. We see in scripture that more is required of leaders due to the fact they are leading. If God intended that anyone who pastors absolutely must have children (again, in order to have plural, for sure, they would have to have a minimum of 3 in case of death of 1), then the apostles would be required no less.  or could there be a misunderstanding of requirements? Yes, a misunderstanding.  And a placing of a burden that God never intended.  Man applies things that aren't always God's intentions....

• Members

To me, unruly means an ongoing prOBlem of being uncontrollable. We have various and assorted prOBlems with our boys, but at this point nOBody can really look at us and say "you have a child in your home that is out of control". It is evident that despite their faults, they are all under the authority of Dad.

Now if any of the kids develop a habit of just being openly defiant with no improvement, then that is prOBably grounds for dismissal.

I say so humbly as I fully realize it could technically happen to any pastor.

• Members
I was wondering about this myself. Paul was unmarried with no children, but had a leadership role. Was there an exception because of his Apostleship? or could there be a misunderstanding of requirements?
Different office. Paul was an apostle, chosen by God, a witness of the Resurrected Christ. The office of Bishop, is the office addressed in Titus and Timothy. Bishops are chosen by the churches, hence the list of quals. Rom 11:13 13 For I speak to you Gentiles, inasmuch as I am the apostle of the Gentiles, I magnify mine office: 1Ti 3:1 1 This is a true saying, If a man desire the office of a bishop, he desireth a good work. Anishinaabe

Archived