• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Titus 1:6 - Pastoral Qualifications

Pastorj

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So I go back to the question that I raised earlier: Who is the accuser in this passage and how does one know if their child has been accused of riot or unruly. If the child repents later in life, is he qualified to pastor again?

• Members

I would think the accuser could be anyone. Riot and unruly is a public display. If he's accused of the brethern then it's for edification, if it's the unsaved accusing then let it be for the reproach of Christ (get your child under control for witnessing sake).

A child acting out at a very early age does not constitute resignation by the pastor. However the pastor must show he's tried to correct the child....prefferably immediately.

If the child is older and saved then the rules of admonishing a brother found in the bible are at play. The accuser, whoever it should be, should go to the pastor FIRST because this is a prOBlem with him and not his child.

If it persists, go with another brother in Christ and so on and so on.

These verses can be found in Matthew 18:15-22,  1 Corinthians 5:4-5, 2 Thess 3:13-16, Titus 3:9-11, Galatians 6:1-2, James 5:19-20, Ephesians 4:31-32, 2 Corinthians 2:1-8

The last few verses are more on how you should go about admonishing a brother rather than the why but they all go together well.

The main thing is to get this done ASAP. Don't let it linger or ignore it. This kind of thing is like a cancer it only grows until killed off.

Most importantly PRAY!!!

• Members

So I go back to the question that I raised earlier: Who is the accuser in this passage and how does one know if their child has been accused of riot or unruly. If the child repents later in life, is he qualified to pastor again?

See post #6.

• Members

All children disOBey at times. At what point are they "Riot" and "Unruly"?

It says "Not Accused"

Who is doing the accusing? Church members? How many accusers? Does it have to be proven?

At what point is a pastor disqualified

Being disOBedient and disrespectful to parents and others, fighting, stealing, partying, doing drugs,...things like that.

• Members

If its the police the man needs to be removed. If its a church member maybe the Preacher can correct his child before it gets bad and remain at his post. I would hate to be the man talking to the pastor about raising his kids. 

If this was lived today, there would be openings all over the place for church pastors. 

• Members

May I ask a sort of spin-off question? What if a pastor has been married a long time and they are infertile and cannot have children? Would he be required to step down from his position in church leadership?

If they are infertile, he was never qualified to pastor a church in the first place.  

• Members

If its the police the man needs to be removed. If its a church member maybe the Preacher can correct his child before it gets bad and remain at his post. I would hate to be the man talking to the pastor about raising his kids. 

If this was lived today, there would be openings all over the place for church pastors. 

OR maybe there would be less churches. Less denominations. More true Bible believing, teaching, and preaching churches.

That would be awesome. One church, right in it's doctrine, either come or don't, but you wouldn't have the option to shop till you find somewhere you "like".

• Members

Titus 1:

1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;

In hope of eternal life, which God, that cannot lie, promised before the world began;

But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;

To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: 

Wasn't the one giving all this doctrine and advice unmarried with no children? Could he mean that if you are a married pastor with children, then your kids should be well behaved? OBviously Paul knew how to be a good leader.

• Members

If they are infertile, he was never qualified to pastor a church in the first place.  

I guess I don't understand that, and I cannot find that the Scriptures support this. Basically a married man in his thirties, who has been married since he was in his twenties, and he and his wife have actively opened their hearts to whatever blessings, in terms of children, God wants to bless them with, yet they have not conceived children, does that mean he cannot be ordained as a pastor or deacon? What if they are foster parents? Would that count? Adoption? 

• Members

I guess I don't understand that, and I cannot find that the Scriptures support this. Basically a married man in his thirties, who has been married since he was in his twenties, and he and his wife have actively opened their hearts to whatever blessings, in terms of children, God wants to bless them with, yet they have not conceived children, does that mean he cannot be ordained as a pastor or deacon? What if they are foster parents? Would that count? Adoption? 

God's Word says children in the plural.  A man must have at least two kids before he is qualified to pastor.  

You raise an interesting point though about adoption.  Foster kids are temporary and belong to the state.  

I'm confused, what can you not find to support what?

Archived