• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Titus 1:6 - Pastoral Qualifications

Pastorj

• Members

Titus 1:6 If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

The pastor of the church we are attending preached out of Titus 1 yesterday and I got stuck on this verse. I have preached on the qualifications of a pastor many times, but really never caught the latter half of this verse. "having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly."

How do you interpret this qualification?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The pastor must be one who has children.  Key word "having".  And yes, the children must be faithful.  The word "faithful" is from the Greek word "pistos'.  It has many definitions:

1. trusty, faithful

1. of persons who show themselves faithful in the transaction of business, the execution of commands, or the discharge of official duties

2. one who kept his plighted faith, worthy of trust

3. that can be relied on

2. easily persuaded

1. believing, confiding, trusting

2. in the NT one who trusts in God's promises

1. one who is convinced that Jesus has been raised from the dead

2. one who has become convinced that Jesus is the Messiah and author of salvation

• Members

All children disOBey at times. At what point are they "Riot" and "Unruly"?

It says "Not Accused"

Who is doing the accusing? Church members? How many accusers? Does it have to be proven?

At what point is a pastor disqualified

• Members

All children disOBey at times. At what point are they "Riot" and "Unruly"?

It says "Not Accused"

Who is doing the accusing? Church members? How many accusers? Does it have to be proven?

At what point is a pastor disqualified

My response the last time this question was asked was this:  when the members of that local church decide so.  Could be months, years or not at all.

• Members

The reality is that most churches will split or die before they get rid of a pastor. Should the pastor be self reflective? If yes, at what point does he step down because his kid/kids are Unruly?

What if all his children are faithful and OBedient, but 1. Is he still disqualified?

• Members

It all comes down to the ability to effectively lead the church, if you can't lead or rule your own family well...  How important is it to God that you rule your family well in order to receive His blessings?  Genesis 18:18-19 (KJV18  Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?

19  For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.  

This goes issue hand in hand with the first part as well. I see no where in the scripture that allows man to add "one at a time" to the husband of one wife.  How can you possibly fulfill the pastor counselor role effectively in your church on marriage and child rearing issues, if your own household is a wreck?  I always shake my head at the secular marriage counselors who are in their 5th marriage and their kids are in prison.

If you need an example of whether God holds the household leader responsible for the actions of his children, then just do a bible study on the prophet Eli  1 Samuel 3:13-14 (KJV

13  For I have told him that I will judge his house for ever for the iniquity which he knoweth; because his sons made themselves vile, and he restrained them not.
14  And therefore I have sworn unto the house of Eli, that the iniquity of Eli's house shall not be purged with sacrifice nor offering for ever. 

Elias sons of course were Hophni and Phinehas.

Bro. Garry 

• Members

It all comes down to the ability to effectively lead the church, if you can't lead or rule your own family well...  How important is it to God that you rule your family well in order to receive His blessings?  Genesis 18:18-19 (KJV18  Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him?

19  For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.  

This goes issue hand in hand with the first part as well. I see no where in the scripture that allows man to add "one at a time" to the husband of one wife.  How can you possibly fulfill the pastor counselor role effectively in your church on marriage and child rearing issues, if your own household is a wreck?  I always shake my head at the secular marriage counselors who are in their 5th marriage and their kids are in prison.

Bro. Garry 

People sometimes question why God chose Abram (instead of someone else) to be the one whom God would use...there's the answer right there.

• Members

What about when they get out of his home and on their own?

A tough one.  Hophni and Phinehas were definitely full grown adults and presumably no longer under the house of Eli, but God judged Eli for their transgressions all the same.  HOWEVER, God judged Eli because he knew "and he restrained them not."  I believe had Elias refrained and fought hard against the sins of his son's, he would not have come under condemnation.

If a Pastor "loses his kids to the world" after they are grown and out of the house, but he does not condone, excuse, or look the other way at their sin, then he has not disqualified himself. 

• Members

What about when they get out of his home and on their own?

They are on their own when they are married.  The son then becomes the head of his household, a daughter's subjection transfers from her father to her husband when she becomes his wife.  I believe this is pictured by the father giving away the bride (walking her down the isle) at marriage ceremonies.

Are you thinking as I what if the son doesn't get married and leaves the home?  Me too; what do the scriptures say about him?

Archived