• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Christians That Are Paid Serve Christ Better....

• Members

You can try avoiding me, like I avoid you.

Really TGL?   :icon_rolleyes: 

Yes, TGL likes to yank everyone's chain Joseph.  Usually he uses this  :popcorn: but might have thought that it isn't working anymore.  I dunno.

Anyway, back to the OP.  My church started in 1982 in a house.  It relocated to a church in the city I grew up in.  Christians have never been paid for working.  It is the Lord's work not ours.  We relocated to another city when church numbers were growing, although many people left b/c we decided to build a church on property in that city.  It is paid for but will not be finished until we are able to pay off the mortgage on the newly constructed church.  On Sunday mornings, we meet at the civic center in that town.  At the end of each month, we have a missionary preach, and then church fellowship. We 1/2 day church on those Sundays b/c we want to save on the cost of renting the building.  It isn't cheap.  Many Christians go to another IFB church, in the evenings, for service on those Sundays.  On Wednesday night, during the cold months, we meet in a Lutheran Church for prayer and Bible study.  There is a big children's room and nursery.  Many members work in Master's Club (in the basement of the church).  We are also able to draw in children from the community.  MC is only during the school year, though.  On Wednesday night's, during the Fall and Summer months, we meet on our property.  When it rains, we meet in my in-laws home.  They have a big home and it is able to hold the members and children along with a nursery for the toddlers and children.  Oh, and on Christmas day and Resurrection Sunday we meet in the civic center in my hometown, as the civic center in the other town is closed on those days.  This sounds confusing, but when one gets used to moving around it isn't.  We are vagabonds and joke about how we will be wandering around like the ancient Israelites for 40 years in the desert.  Each IFB church is different.  That is the beauty of being independent.

I am so sorry to hear that you have Lupus, MC.  Also, most of my post was for Joseph.  We are so blessed to have you as a member of OB, brother. 

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Our church went from renting church space in 2000 to our new church building almost entirely built by the men and children of the church. It was mostly the boys who dug the footer. This was done debt free. Last year we added an expansion that now serves as our main sanctuary with original building now being used as a fellowship hall, classrooms, recreation area, etc. Again, this addition was done almost entirely by volunteer help within the church and completely debt free.

We do our own cleaning and yard work, not to mention all the venues we volunteer for out in the community.

Based on your typical posts TGL I would suggest you definitely find a new church (if you even go to a church), and perhaps take a good hard look at your current walk with the Lord. I suspect some thing(s) is/are not lined up scripturally. 

• Members

Our church went from renting church space in 2000 to our new church building almost entirely built by the men and children of the church. It was mostly the boys who dug the footer. This was done debt free. Last year we added an expansion that now serves as our main sanctuary with original building now being used as a fellowship hall, classrooms, recreation area, etc. Again, this addition was done almost entirely by volunteer help within the church and completely debt free.

We do our own cleaning and yard work, not to mention all the venues we volunteer for out in the community.

Based on your typical posts TGL I would suggest you definitely find a new church (if you even go to a church), and perhaps take a good hard look at your current walk with the Lord. I suspect some thing(s) is/are not lined up scripturally.

I love to see how the brothers and sisters, pull out the sword at the end of their post, the wrong sword.

• Members

If you find a church that is maintained very well, you will find that the workers are getting paid to do it. Christians don't volunteer any more like they use too. Many say they will come and never show up. If you're having this prOBlem, just take or use the tithing money. It OK, God know how busy the modern Christians are.

What is your purpose for starting this thread?  Is it to encourage the brethren... or to complain about them?

I am guessing your hiatus wasn't long enough.

• Members

As to the volunteer/hired help thing- In my mind, part of good stewardship is recognizing the best course of action to get the task done correctly.  Sometimes unskilled volunteers are perfectly acceptable, and other times specialized help is preferable.

• Members

I love to see how the brothers and sisters, pull out the sword at the end of their post, the wrong sword.

It does not take a long search of your posts to find that most are either sarcastic, negatively leading and or critical. It seems as though your principle goal here is to bait "the brothers and sisters". If these are the types of posts you wish to make (and I have noticed that I am not the only one to discern this) then don't be surprised if you receive criticism in return. 

• Members

I knew as soon as I saw the title who started it!

If your church has a large paid staff then it's prOBably a fun, jumpy-house, rocking kind of church!

My church the only person paid is the pastor, even in a small church it's a full time jOB!

Our church starting meeting in a public building for about a year I think. My church / Pastor was supported by another church for first few years. But now I think the support has ended.

Unless I was Amish I wouldn't want to meet in a barn! I like a furnace in winter and AC in summer! If no other choice to hear the word is a different story though.

• Members

Malachi 1:10-13 (KJV)
10  Who is there even among you that would shut the doors for nought? neither do ye kindle fire on mine altar for nought. I have no pleasure in you, saith the LORD of hosts, neither will I accept an offering at your hand.
11  For from the rising of the sun even unto the going down of the same my name shall be great among the Gentiles; and in every place incense shall be offered unto my name, and a pure offering: for my name shall be great among the heathen, saith the LORD of hosts.
12  But ye have profaned it, in that ye say, The table of the LORD is polluted; and the fruit thereof, even his meat, is contemptible.
13  Ye said also, Behold, what a weariness is it! and ye have snuffed at it, saith the LORD of hosts; and ye brought that which was torn, and the lame, and the sick; thus ye brought an offering: should I accept this of your hand? saith the LORD

This of course was God's chastisement of Israel and the Levits' who would not even be doormen or kindle a fire in the temple without being paid to do it.  They thought the service of God was a weariness and snuffed at it.  God goes on to say (highlighted in red) that it will be much different with the Gentiles who will love Him freely.  

The heathen gentile church I attend is very well maintained and 100% through volunteer work (me being one of the volunteers).  I have been attending this church for over 12 years now, and the same pastor has been there now over 20 years.  It hasn't changed yet. 

P.S.  To Joseph Redgate, take TGL with a HUGE grain of salt.  He just likes to stir the pot with silly statements

Bro. Garry

In His Will.  By His Power.  For His Glory.

• Members

heathen, gentile church where you go? what is meant by that?

Malachi 1:11 up above, the part highlighted in red when God says, "My name shall be great among the Gentiles" and "my name shall be great among the heathen".  Since, to the best of my knowledge we do not have a single Jewish race member in our church, that would be us...a heathen gentile church that loves God openly and freely. 

• Moderators

As to the volunteer/hired help thing- In my mind, part of good stewardship is recognizing the best course of action to get the task done correctly.  Sometimes unskilled volunteers are perfectly acceptable, and other times specialized help is preferable.

You forget that the volunteers are not always unskilled, sometimes they are workers in those very trades needed.

• Members

I used to belong to a church; in which, every year they would put certain jOBs up for bid among the church members...such as church cleaning, grass cutting, etc...

Whoever gave the lowest bid, got the jOB for the year.

When they finally stopped doing that, no one volunteered to do the jOBs...so they had to start paying church members to do it again, but the jOBs weren't put up for bid any more...

Then...after a while...people started griping because no one else ever got the chance to get paid...I mean...help.

• Members

You forget that the volunteers are not always unskilled, sometimes they are workers in those very trades needed.

I can see how someone could read my comment that way, but I didn't forget. Of course there are skilled people who are willing to volunteer, but not always. My point was that when a church is unable to find specialized volunteer help, sometimes it is better to hire it. Some jOBs require more that a DIY skillset.

• Members

Roger that. We have people from all trades, general contractors, electricians, HVAC, roofers, flooring installer, landscapers, etc. It's awesome to see them all come together and help out.

I used to belong to a church; in which, every year they would put certain jOBs up for bid among the church members...such as church cleaning, grass cutting, etc...

Whoever gave the lowest bid, got the jOB for the year.

When they finally stopped doing that, no one volunteered to do the jOBs...so they had to start paying church members to do it again, but the jOBs weren't put up for bid any more...

Then...after a while...people started griping because no one else ever got the chance to get paid...I mean...help.

I assume that is why you "used to belong" there.

• Members

I can see how someone could read my comment that way, but I didn't forget. Of course there are skilled people who are willing to volunteer, but not always. My point was that when a church is unable to find specialized volunteer help, sometimes it is better to hire it. Some jOBs require more that a DIY skillset.

We did this too. We hired the Amish to do the cement for our floor. The entire time they were fed by our ladies and they got a solid gospel message every day. The price was reasonable, and their work was great.

Archived