• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

It Shall Be An Everlasting Covenant With Them

• Members

Ainsley goes into the subject more carefully.  He says there is a complete bible chronology from Adam to Christ.  That chronology goes unbroken from Adam to Cyrus, then from Cyrus to Christ using the decree of Cyrus, but that chronology breaks down if we  take the decree of Artaxerxes as the starting point.  I disagree with Mr Ainsley's conclusions at times, one of which is that he takes the 69 weeks to end at Palm Sunday. Scripture chronology is based on scripture, secular chronology is based on the teachings of astronomer/astrologer Ptolemy who also gave the teaching that the sun circled the earth.  

Fair enough - just asking because often times people say something is better simply because they agree with it, or it agrees with them.

;)

I personally have never had the time to trace things like this back.

As a result, I do not teach much on such things and when I do, I stick with what is clear, and explain that I do not have a full understanding of, for instance in this case the exact timing of events involved.

That is one reason why I asked if any knew of why the 7-62-1 division previously in this thread (or maybe the other one......??? )

I have found people appreciate it when I tell them I don't understand a passage rather than trying to push something into it.

If people approach me afterwards and ask, then I put it onto my study list.

Of late I have more time to study, and am reveling in that extra time.

I have done some in depth study on several issues that previously I would not have had time for.

This kind of thing will get to the front of the list in time, and then I will put you all on the right track. :lol: (Please note everyone - this is a joke! )

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Fair enough - just asking because often times people say something is better simply because they agree with it, or it agrees with them.

;)

I personally have never had the time to trace things like this back.

As a result, I do not teach much on such things and when I do, I stick with what is clear, and explain that I do not have a full understanding of, for instance in this case the exact timing of events involved.

That is one reason why I asked if any knew of why the 7-62-1 division previously in this thread (or maybe the other one......??? )

I have found people appreciate it when I tell them I don't understand a passage rather than trying to push something into it.

If people approach me afterwards and ask, then I put it onto my study list.

Of late I have more time to study, and am reveling in that extra time.

I have done some in depth study on several issues that previously I would not have had time for.

This kind of thing will get to the front of the list in time, and then I will put you all on the right track. :lol: (Please note everyone - this is a joke! )

The other thing I disgree with him (tentatively) is the length of the period of the Judges which Ainsley takes as 450 years based on Paul's statement Acts 13:20  And after that he gave unto them judges about the space of four hundred and fifty years, until Samuel the prophet.

Which disagrees with the statement in 1 Kings 6:1Ki 6:1  And it came to pass in the four hundred and eightieth year after the children of Israel were come out of the land of Egypt, in the fourth year of Solomon’s reign over Israel, in the month Zif, which is the second month, that he began to build the house of the LORD.

In that he agrees with Anderson. Also he says from the entry into Canaan till the end of the elders who outlived Joshua was 20 years.  I can see his reasoning, but when I did a bit of Maths, I tend to disagree.  My reasoning is as follows.

We don't know how old Joshua was at the exodus, but Joshua was in the census two years after, so was at least 18 at the exodus.  Moses took the 'young man'  Hosea and renamed him Joshua.  Joshua died aged 110. 
Take 110, less the supposed 20 years, less 40 years for the sejour in the wilderness and we have 50 for his age at the exodus.  Now could he be called a 'young man' if he was 50?

• Members

Numbers 14 says everyone 20 years and older would die in the wilderness, and in vs 30 (I think) Joshua and Caleb are particularly exempted from that, which indicates that they both were over 20 at the beginning of the 40 years in the wilderness.

Josh 14:10,11 tell us that at the entering in of the land Caleb was 85 - that means at the start of the 40 wilderness years Caleb was around 45.

Not sure if we are told specifically if Joshua or Caleb was older, but we have a wide range to fit Joshua in.....

• Members

So lets effectively get rid of the antichrist and say it already took place so only the kingdom is left.  Now only the return of Christ but no armies surround Jerusalem until the end of the Millennial Kingdom and the only resurrection is the GWT.

You guys are all picking and choosing which Scriptures fit your theological view and not literal representation of any truth.

Roman destruction of Jerusalem is not the final destruction of Jerusalem.  Nor would it have been rebuilt again after it was "without form and void" in 70ad. 

To follow the thinking in the above posts, the next step is for Christ to come with the New Jerusalem no Millennium.  He will come destroy the old earth and heaven and then make a new one and the new Jerusalem will descend upon the earth evermore to be here forever.  NOT!

Archived