Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

Paradise And Abraham's Bosom

Rate this topic

swathdiver

That was not my intent. 

and don't take the following wrong.

Where in scripture does it say go to the pastor and see what he says?

But it does say to study.

The current western Christianity runs its fellowships in opposition as to how the NT ones did.   And this has caused Christians to be weak in knowledge, wisdom and spirituality.

the Muslim world is afraid of one thing that could destroy their religion.  It is western culture.  this western culture rooted is rooted in the Old Roman Empire and it has ruined Christianity and they fear it will do the same to Islam.

There is more but I'll leave this..."Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established. " Pro. 15:22

And when was this written? 

More importantly, what was it in reference to? It was in reference to Jesus Christ "the fulness of the Godhead bodily" while he walked the earth before men's eyes. We can't divide God the Son up into parts, we have to receive him as whole and very God.

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

There is more but I'll leave this..."Without counsel purposes are disappointed: but in the multitude of counsellors they are established. " Pro. 15:22

Pr 19:21 ¶ [There are] many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.
Getting your counsel from God's word is first priority because men have many devices in their hearts.

Isa 28:29 This also cometh forth from the LORD of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working God's counsel is more wonderful than that of men.

Isa 30:1a ¶ Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me;

God wants us to take counsel from Him and in doing so we are not rebellious

So it is ok to encourage someone to study first and not to rely on men in matters of God's word.  I am not against counsel of men but many times were are to quick to trust men over God's word.

Edited by AVBibleBeliever

More importantly, what was it in reference to? It was in reference to Jesus Christ "the fulness of the Godhead bodily" while he walked the earth before men's eyes. We can't divide God the Son up into parts, we have to receive him as whole and very God.

But there is a difference between Jesus when he walked on the earth, and after he was crucified and rose again. He died on the cross, but he can never die again. 

Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.

Jesus came in "the flesh". He was exactly like us in every way, he got hungry, tired, he was tempted in all points as we are, he could be touched with the feeling of our infirmities (weaknesses), he could physically die. He is not like that anymore, now he has a gloried body and cannot die. 

Jesus "emptied himself" (Phi 2:7) when he came in the flesh. I believe he had to fight sin the same way as the OT saints did, by trusting and OBeying the word of God. The scriptures do say the Spirit was "upon him", not "in him", just as was spoken in the OT

Num 11:24 And Moses went out, and told the people the words of the LORD, and gathered the seventy men of the elders of the people, and set them round about the tabernacle.
25 And the LORD came down in a cloud, and spake unto him, and took of the spirit that was upon him, and gave it unto the seventy elders: and it came to pass, that, when the spirit rested upon them, they prophesied, and did not cease.
26 But there remained two of the men in the camp, the name of the one was Eldad, and the name of the other Medad: and the spirit rested upon them; and they were of them that were written, but went not out unto the tabernacle: and they prophesied in the camp.
27 And there ran a young man, and told Moses, and said, Eldad and Medad do prophesy in the camp.
28 And Joshua the son of Nun, the servant of Moses, one of his young men, answered and said, My lord Moses, forbid them.
29 And Moses said unto him, Enviest thou for my sake? would God that all the LORD'S people were prophets, and that the LORD would put his spirit upon them!

In the OT the Holy Spirit only rested "upon" men, not "in" men, and I believe it was exactly the same for Jesus, the Spirit was only upon him. 

Else, if Jesus had the indwelling Holy Spirit, how could he cry out, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? We have the promise in scripture that the Holy Spirit will NEVER leave us nor forsake us. 

Even in the NT the scriptures say the Spirit was "upon" Jesus. 

Luk 4:17 And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Esaias. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written,
18 The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised,
19 To preach the acceptable year of the Lord.
20 And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him.
21 And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.

I think that if the Spirit was "in" Jesus, he would have said so. He did not, he said the Spirit was "upon me" just like the OT prophets. 

I might be wrong, but I do not know of scripture that shows differently . 
Edited by Winman

Pr 19:21 ¶ [There are] many devices in a man's heart; nevertheless the counsel of the LORD, that shall stand.
Getting your counsel from God's word is first priority because men have many devices in their hearts.

Isa 28:29 This also cometh forth from the LORD of hosts, which is wonderful in counsel, and excellent in working God's counsel is more wonderful than that of men.

Isa 30:1a ¶ Woe to the rebellious children, saith the LORD, that take counsel, but not of me;

God wants us to take counsel from Him and in doing so we are not rebellious

So it is ok to encourage someone to study first and not to rely on men in matters of God's word.  I am not against counsel of men but many times were are to quick to trust men over God's word.

I'm not going to hijack this thread any further with this question but, take a look at Acts 15. "Acts 15:2   When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question." I think there are two matters which need to get out of this thread and I will stop participating in them here. I apologize swathdiver.

I think there are two matters which need to get out of this thread and I will stop participating in them here. I apologize swathdiver.

Actually, the topic of the Holy Spirit is completely relevant, why did OT saints have to wait in Abraham's Bosom? And why did the Holy Spirit not indwell OT saints?

I think the answer is the same, because Jesus had not ascended to heaven and sprinkled his blood on the mercy seat. Men's sins were not atoned for until Jesus offered his blood in heaven, and the Holy Spirit can only dwell in a clean vessel. I believe after Jesus offered his blood in heaven and men's sins were atoned for, THEN he was able to give the Holy Spirit to men, and the Spirit was able to dwell "in" men, not "upon" them as the OT usually shows.