• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

baby dresses

• Members

Ooooooh! An IFB clothing question.......I put this here just in case the thread took a modesty turn, which it well could, and because I'd like a legitimate answer, not a firestorm. As you know, we have a new baby girl--she is 4mo. now. (We had not had a girl in 15yrs, and when our other girls were born, we were not IFB, so this was not an issue then) Well, anyway, cold weather is nearly upon us and I am finding it more difficult to keep Liddy warm because most of the infant dresses are too short and are also short sleeved.. (I'm already resorting to putting on a size bigger just so they're a little longer) I'm planning on making her some heavy skirts and jumpers to go over long sleeve tops, but because she is going to be crawling soon, I'm not sure just how long to make them. Have any of the ladies (or the men's wives) on here made their infants/crawlers dresses, and if so, what is the best length to have at this age? I would appreciate any input anyone has, because once I start making them, I'm kinda gonna be stuck with what I've got....can't return it to the store like a regular outfit.

• Members

We are pretty strict in modest apparel but for a baby in cold weather, I'd honestly let her sleep in a warm sleeper at night...and then keep her in nice thick tights or long underwear under her dresses during the day. (Personally, at home I'd probably let her crawl or toddle around in the sleepers unless someone was coming over or we were going out. But then I don't have any girls!!!!) If you put something under the skirts, I wouldn't worry about having the play dresses be super long because its hard to learn to crawl in them. My friend's little girl learned to crawl in dresses, which of course is absolutely fine!!!!...but she crawled REALLY funny as she had to learn not to let her knees get caught up in the dress. LOL.

If I had a baby girl I probably wouldn't worry so much about "modesty" until the baby was walking reliably, because anyway, there is nothing modest about crawling! haha. And then the one way we are different I guess is that I do sleep in pajama pants (do not lounge around the house in them except before my morning shower) and would probably let a daughter do the same. Which means we'd buy her sleepers and pajama pants but no regular pants outfits.

Anyway...this was no help was it?! Especially with me having four BOYS...ahh it is nice and easy to dress them I will admit...except belts...why do boys always have to wear and keep track of belts?! haha.

• Members

Well, mine is only a month old and out other one is 3 1/2. At home so far I've either had her in sleepers or those sleeper sacks continually. I do have dresses for her, but they're not very practical! But if it were cold out, and I wanted her in a dress, then I'd be looking for either thick tights or leggings to put under the dress. Our 3 year old lives in leggings or thick tights under her dresses during the cold months. (during the daytime)

• Members

We always allowed our girls to wear the sleeper type outfits as babies.(We do wear pj's though) Many times, like for church, I had a jumper that I could put over the other outfit , kinda like a long leged onesie for the shirt. We used leggings and tights once they outgrew those. I know a women in our church that never put anything but dresses on her girls, and they just used the heavy tights and yes, they crawled funny at first. They always wore knee length or longer and bigger sizes were necessary to accomplish this. Try Burlinton Coat factories Baby depot for jumper outfits. I have found jumper,onesie,knit tights,hair acc. outfits for under $10. I Think I still have them and I could send them for next year(they are size 18mo and 2T) if your interested.

• Members

If I have a girl one of these days I think we'd totally let her go in sleepers and pants-sets (as long as they're feminine) while she's crawling around. When she gets old enough to be walking all the time, I think that's when to introduce skirts and dresses. When I was little I wore pants until I was the last part of first grade. I remember one morning before getting on the bus mom came in and said "Dad wants you to change into a skirt or cullottes." Apparently the Lord had been dealing with my dad about modesty and he felt he needed to do something about it right away. I began to wear dresses or cullottes from that day on. At first it was hard and I didn't understand why it had to be. I still did it out of obedience, but as time has gone by I'm really thankfully that my parents stressed modesty. I love wearing dresses and skirts now. I do wear PJ pants and when we go hiking sometimes I'll wear a pair of loose pants, but it's just me and my hubby basically. I wore leggings a lot on school (I went to public school through 7th grade before i was homeschooled). It worked out just fine. I had so many people as me (almost every day in school) "WHy do you wear skirts?" I used to answer "Because I like them." Then, I started answering "Why do you wear pants?" LOL...I had gotten so sick of hearing that question.

What you wear does say a lot about who you are though. People can say it doesn't, but try telling that to kids at school. What you wear says a lot! I think wearing skirts and dresses as a young person helped me face a lot of the peer pressue and moral issues during school. I had to be strong when all my friends would tease me about wearing skirts all the time. Later it became kind of trendy and a little bohemian to wear long skirts to school especially since I had long hair and was into drama and poetry.

We plan to homeschool our daughters, and now I realize the great importance of instilling modesty into them at a young age. It's super important to God and should be to us as well!

• Members

Thank you all for your encouragement and ideas. I am hoping that the tights they are putting out in the stores are thicker now than the ones I bought when Liddy was born. They are way too thin. I put baby gowns on her when she was first born, but have been putting footed sleepers on her since because the others are too small. The only option other than that was to make my own pajama gowns, which I've not seen a pattern that small (I have one that starts at 2T). It's so nice to know that I could come on here and ask about this and not worry about being slammed for putting pajamas with legs on my baby on one hand or being called names on the flip-side of the issue because I am concerned about the modesty issue for my little baby--as if I were some fruitcake or something. Thank you, BroMatt for the IFB forum--it is great!!

• Members

if you have trouble, find a place where they make costumes, marching bands, dancers, etc.
entertainers who have to be outdoors for a long period of time...but I am not sure if they will have it in her size since she is just a baby.

oh and you can always knit your own socking for her.

• Members

I have made those baby gowns I actually have a pattern. My girls now use them on their dolls. I'll get the pattern # for you. If its discontinued, you might find it on line some how. I'd send you mine, but I'm not sure I have all the pieces anymore, I'll have to check. Mine was multi-sized till like 18mo I think. Again, I have also found them very reasonably a BCF's baby depot.

• Members

Hey thanks Matie-K! I looked at amazon earlier, but I didn't see any cable knit ones in infant sizes at the time--doesn't surprise me though....if you don't word it just right, it won't pull up. These are MUCH cheaper than the ones I found on some other web-sites today. You guys have been a real big help!! :clap: (I wanted to come on earlier today, but for some reason I just kept getting these "error" messages and I could not get onto OB......it made me quite upset.... :verymad: don't know what was up with that? :puzzled: )