• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Looking For A College

• Administrators

Unfortunately their price isn't conservative. $128K for a 4 year degree is well beyond the scope of this one income family.

That's why I included the financial aid information.  There is a needs-based scholarship, and there are on-and-off campus jOBs.

• Members

That's why I included the financial aid information.  There is a needs-based scholarship, and there are on-and-off campus jOBs.

Understood. I reviewed and best case the tuition could be cut in 1/2, but my daughter wouldn't qualify for it all. Seems like all roads are leading to PCC at this point. My daughter is not happy. College of the Ozarks looks good, but they are very selective and lean towards local enrollment candidates.

• Administrators

Understood. I reviewed and best case the tuition could be cut in 1/2, but my daughter wouldn't qualify for it all. Seems like all roads are leading to PCC at this point. My daughter is not happy. College of the Ozarks looks good, but they are very selective and lean towards local enrollment candidates.

Even with a jOB it would be out there?

• Members

Even with a jOB it would be out there?

Well we have to assess all factors.

1. Our goal is to do this debt free.

2. It would be preferable if she only had to work minimally, and preferably in a position related to her degree. If she then has to spend a good amount of time in study for a particular subject or two at any time, she does not have to be to concerned about meeting other OBligations.

3. She is missions minded and would like to take part in what is available at the school or local church. That is one perk about PCC as there is a girls home nearby that several of her friends already work at.

4. We are still considering all options, Hillsdale isn't out, but it is one of the most expensive schools on the list and the English degrees available from less expensive schools are just as good.

• Administrators

Well we have to assess all factors.

1. Our goal is to do this debt free.

2. It would be preferable if she only had to work minimally, and preferably in a position related to her degree. If she then has to spend a good amount of time in study for a particular subject or two at any time, she does not have to be to concerned about meeting other OBligations.

3. She is missions minded and would like to take part in what is available at the school or local church. That is one perk about PCC as there is a girls home nearby that several of her friends already work at.

4. We are still considering all options, Hillsdale isn't out, but it is one of the most expensive schools on the list and the English degrees available from less expensive schools are just as good.

Gotcha!  :D

• Members

Grove City is Catholic, I used to know a professor their until I told him that I was Catholic until I read the bible.  Hillsdale is seemingly more into politics and conservatism than the things of God.  In all my dealings with them over the years, I never once heard that they were a baptist school until recently from a friend who is also more interested in politics than the things of God.

Living in the south is nice, just like you're used to the winter, we're used to the heat.  My yankee wife is used to the heat and not the winter anymore.  PCC is near the Gulf of Mexico with its offshore breezes and the buildings are all climate controlled.  Where you guys are bundled up and hunkered down in the winter, we're outdoors and when you're outdoors we're hunkered down unless we're at the beach, boating, flying, fishing, camping, rafting, hiking, etc.  

Their gym has a monstrous rock climbing wall and an indoor water park with waves big enough to surf on and lots of slides and such.  It is of course NOT co-ed, the boys have their times, the girls theirs.

At the chow hall there are EIGHT serving lines all with their own menu.

You just missed the open house; I would suggest if the drive isn't too far (9 hours for me) that you go take a look yourself.

• Administrators

Well, I've never heard Hillsdale called any kind of religion, to be honest. They are a private, not Christian, liberal arts schoool. Not involved in politics, per se, so much as educating people about the Constitution and the proper role of government and citizen alike. They do offer courses on the history of religion, etc, but I have no knowledge of the teachers of those courses so could not recommend them.

I second swath on the weather. I spent two of my college years in Milton, just by Pensacola. Winters were nice...no snow except one night about 4am there were a few flakes. Jacket weather most of the time for folks used to colder temps. Spring and fall could get a wee bit warm, but nothing unbearable.

• Members

This guy told me they were a baptist college.  I think he's mistaken but now someone else has pointed to them being religious as well.  Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.  Yeah, I forgot to add that it snows once or twice every decade up that way.

• Members

Well, I've never heard Hillsdale called any kind of religion, to be honest. They are a private, not Christian, liberal arts schoool. Not involved in politics, per se, so much as educating people about the Constitution and the proper role of government and citizen alike. They do offer courses on the history of religion, etc, but I have no knowledge of the teachers of those courses so could not recommend them.

I second swath on the weather. I spent two of my college years in Milton, just by Pensacola. Winters were nice...no snow except one night about 4am there were a few flakes. Jacket weather most of the time for folks used to colder temps. Spring and fall could get a wee bit warm, but nothing unbearable.

Very true, HC.  Many students from my high school went to and graduated from Hillsdale.  Students from my son's graduating class, the same school system I grew up in, also graduated from Hillsdale.  It has always been known as a liberal arts school with a conservative view on politics.  

The only thing, as I mentioned before is the price.  Even with financial aid, $100 K a year is astronomical!  I know it was nowhere even near that figure when I was in high school.

• Members

Living in the south is nice, just like you're used to the winter, we're used to the heat.  My yankee wife is used to the heat and not the winter anymore.  PCC is near the Gulf of Mexico with its offshore breezes and the buildings are all climate controlled.  Where you guys are bundled up and hunkered down in the winter, we're outdoors and when you're outdoors we're hunkered down unless we're at the beach, boating, flying, fishing, camping, rafting, hiking, etc.  

:ot:

We could argue about the weather ad nauseum and get nowhere. I lived in Corpus Christi for three years, Memphis for two and Virginia Beach for seven. The Navy and my current jOB have had me all over the south for extended periods including Pensacola, Miami, Jacksonville, Pascagoula, all over Georgia and Texas, and I've discovered three things:

I like the snow. Yeah we hunker down in the winter unless of course we're hunting, ice fishing, sledding, skiing, skating, snowmOBiling, playing hockey, etc. We can do all the things you listed right here in our back yard during the spring and summer. You have to travel a good deal and spend some cash to do most of those I listed. We even have those that like to brave the elements and go hiking and camping in the winter up in the Adirondacks. 

I like the four seasons; and the tornado and hurricane seasons don't count. The last time we saw a tornado in these parts was over ten years ago and it was a small one with minimal damage. We never get anything but rain from your hurricanes, and unless you live very close to a river or creek we never experience flooding.

I do not like temperatures and humidity that induce sweating when all I am doing is sitting back and relaxing with a cold iced-tea.

:11backtotopic:

Having said all that, PCC has become the front runner. My daughter talked to the mom of the two young adults attending there yesterday, and while she is disappointed in the slide in standards, she has not seen too much negative impact on her children. Her son seems a bit more liberal, but it has actually strengthened her daughter. They do allow co-ed swimming now. They mandate that you go to the school plays and the annual ball that they have, but you can go with friends of the same sex,you don't have to go with a date. These are things my daughter (who is very conservative) is not quite comfortable with; especially the ball! Also, it's an 18 hour drive from here (19 if I stop in TN to see my son). there will be no long weekend visits during school.

Again, if someone knows of a good alternative please keeping them coming. 

• Members

My oldest son is in Pensacola and his biggest complaint is they tend to get a lot of rain.

It's a real chore trying to find an actual good college, an affordable college, and one close to home. Trying to find all three in one is extremely difficult.

With our children the standing rule has been if we (Mom and Dad) agree on a particular school we will help them attend but if they choose a school we can't give support to then they can either choose an acceptable school or if they are determined to attend a school Mom and Dad don't approve of they are on their own.

• Members

:ot: They do allow co-ed swimming now. 

Gee, I was just there and seen it myself.  The male "guard" manned the entrance where there was a sign saying it was the boys time.  Then later, a lady manned the entrance and only the girls were allowed in.  

There' great fishing there too.  A friend has had two graduate and one still there, and the young man is quite the fisherman; he knew just where to find the snook, tarpon, reds and trout.

• Members

Gee, I was just there and seen it myself.  The male "guard" manned the entrance where there was a sign saying it was the boys time.  Then later, a lady manned the entrance and only the girls were allowed in.  

There' great fishing there too.  A friend has had two graduate and one still there, and the young man is quite the fisherman; he knew just where to find the snook, tarpon, reds and trout.

The school has it's own beach as well. From what I understand, the separation is not as strict there.

I did some good fishing in Corpus Christi. Alot of reds. Good eatin'.

• Administrators

Very true, HC. Many students from my high school went to and graduated from Hillsdale. Students from my son's graduating class, the same school system I grew up in, also graduated from Hillsdale. It has always been known as a liberal arts school with a conservative view on politics.
The only thing, as I mentioned before is the price. Even with financial aid, $100 K a year is astronomical! I know it was nowhere even near that figure when I was in high school.

Just a clarification...the $128 thou is for 4years, not just one. Bad enough, but if it were just one year - whoa!!! :-)

• Members

Just a clarification...the $128 thou is for 4years, not just one. Bad enough, but if it were just one year - whoa!!! :-)

That makes more sense to me.  I just can't imagine anyone paying $100 K for a year.   :wow:   I have never heard of a college costing that much per year.  Many people get grants to go through college, as well.  That helps out a lot.

Archived