• Welcome to Online Baptist

Free to join.

RSS Robot

Glenn Beck Invokes Joseph Smith, Mormon Beliefs During Liberty University Speech

By Heather Clark Christian News Network LYNCHBURG, Va. – Liberty University and its president, Jerry Falwell Jr., recently invited Glenn Beck to take center stage to address thousands of students during its annual convocation ceremony, whose speech included references to Joseph Smith and Mormon theology. The outspoken conservative talk show host, and founder of the news outlet […]

View the full article

Beck was introduced by President Jerry Falwell, who noted that the university presented the political commentator with an honorary doctorate in 2010 as he likewise addressed the students during that time.

How nice. Just another example of how sheeple are going to be so easily herded into a one world religion.

This is just another item to add to the long list of why I will not send any of my children to Liberty.

Unfortunately, Beck has the assurance of several Christian "leaders" and preachers that he's already saved, he can be a good Christian and Mormon at the same time, and he's heaven bound. With that much backing of his perceived good standing with Jesus and his abundant faith in Mormonism, he's not open to thinking he needs to hear salvation messages.

Hopefully through all those prayers and the moving of the Holy Ghost he may eventually soften his heart enough to hear the truth. Until then he'll continue on with a hardened heart he may not even realize is hardened.

Given the willingness of those Christian "leaders" and preachers to declare Beck a saved Christian, one might have to wonder about the condition of their hearts. They may be in as much need of prayer and submitting to the Gospel as is Beck.

Unfortunately, Beck has the assurance of several Christian "leaders" and preachers that he's already saved, he can be a good Christian and Mormon at the same time, and he's heaven bound. With that much backing of his perceived good standing with Jesus and his abundant faith in Mormonism, he's not open to thinking he needs to hear salvation messages.

Hopefully through all those prayers and the moving of the Holy Ghost he may eventually soften his heart enough to hear the truth. Until then he'll continue on with a hardened heart he may not even realize is hardened.

Given the willingness of those Christian "leaders" and preachers to declare Beck a saved Christian, one might have to wonder about the condition of their hearts. They may be in as much need of prayer and submitting to the Gospel as is Beck.

Good points, John.   It IS those "leaders" and preachers that are influencing Beck the most.  

I have always wondered about the condition of their hearts, as well.  Although, I am not really sure as God is the only one that knows that.  Sadly, these PTB - Powers That Be - may also need to submit to the Gospel, just like Beck, as you stated.   

Maybe I'm just not hearing from them, but who are the Christian "leaders" who have proclaimed that Beck is a real Christian?  

As far as Liberty University, it has not been what I would call a truly biblical place of learning for a number of years, so it's honestly no surprise that Beck was a speaker there (and I don't consider Falwell Jr. a Christian leader, let alone "leader").

I know David Barton has, he told me himself.  BUT!  Is Barton a Christian leader?  Maybe, he's a Baptist and I'd guess you'd call him an American historian who has a great following among conservatives and conservative Christians.

My Christian leader is my pastor and Jesus Christ.

I know David Barton has, he told me himself.  BUT!  Is Barton a Christian leader?  Maybe, he's a Baptist and I'd guess you'd call him an American historian who has a great following among conservatives and conservative Christians.

My Christian leader is my pastor and Jesus Christ.

Thanks for the info, swath. I did a little checking and found this:

On the September 13th program, Barton played audio of Glenn Beck saying that “the Lord Jesus Christ is my Savior and my Redeemer.” Then Barton said he believed that Beck was a Christian based on his statement of belief and “his fruits,” meaning his good deeds. Based on Beck’s statements, Barton then asked co-host Rick Green, “Glenn says he’s Mormon. Ok, that’s fine. Based on what you heard, if you heard a Baptist say that or if you heard a Methodist say that…what would you say?” After Green answered that Beck’s testimony indicated a real conversion, Barton responded, “Why is it not a real conversion because of the label he wears?”

http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/dr-warren-throckmorton/moody-network-station-drops-david-bartons-wallbuiders-live-over-defense-of-glenn-beck.html

Why isn't it a real conversion because of the label?  Simply put: the Jesus of the Mormon is not the Jesus of the Bible. Yes, they do use the Bible at times (and it's always KJV...at least it was when I was growing up), but it is and always has been below the Book of Mormon.  Saviour and Redeemer mean different things to Mormons, too.

Just a clarification, though. Barton is not Baptist. He is Evangelical, with a charismatic background (he graduated from Oral ROBerts University).

Honestly, I have never thought of Barton as a Christian leader...but rather as an historian of sorts (although some of his stuff has been iffy) whose works need to be vetted just as any other historian.  Would there be actual Christian leaders who have accepted Beck as a Christian?

(don't get me wrong - I believe Barton has influence...)

When Beck hit his peak and was seen as an influence in the election several Christian pastors made it a point to say they had spoken with Beck and Beck had said all the right things so he's "one of us" (Christian).

I should remember at least one or two of the bigger names but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

Just a clarification, though. Barton is not Baptist. He is Evangelical, with a charismatic background (he graduated from Oral ROBerts University).

Barton was pastor of a Baptist church and a baptist church is what funded his collection of antiquities.  That being said, there are evangelical baptists like Todd Friel who do not believe that baptists were never part of Rome and that the baptist denomination was started in America.  Barton certainly does not have the traits of an Independent, Fundamental, Soul-Winning, Baptist.  He is more focused on getting out his history through any (ecumenical) means possible.

Barton told my friend and I he was a Baptist.

As for his saying Beck is a Christian, he did say it, but he (Barton) is wrong.  Glenn Beck is as lost as President OBama and in need of the Savior, Jesus Christ.

As John said, foolish "christian leaders" affirming that Beck is a born-again Christian only makes it harder for Beck to hear and believe the Gospel.

I remember that too John, was it Hagee and Franklin Graham?  There's also some pastor down here in West Palm Beach who used to be on his show a lot; I think he too affirmed Beck's christian credentials.

Edited by swathdiver

Well, Barton is the first I've actually seen proof of...and if he said he was a Baptist, I'm thinking he lied to you (something he has done before)...he was a youth pastor at his parents' charismatic church...

Um, I think I did say that Beck wasn't a Christian...if you read my post carefully...

Just out of curiosity and interest, could you find and cite who claimed he was a Christian? Thanks. (it's not that I'm doubting...it's just that all too often we tend to claim that nebulous groups of people say this or that without having sources...)

Well, Barton is the first I've actually seen proof of...and if he said he was a Baptist, I'm thinking he lied to you (something he has done before)...he was a youth pastor at his parents' charismatic church...

Um, I think I did say that Beck wasn't a Christian...if you read my post carefully...

Just out of curiosity and interest, could you find and cite who claimed he was a Christian? Thanks. (it's not that I'm doubting...it's just that all too often we tend to claim that nebulous groups of people say this or that without having sources...)

Point 2:  Not about you or your post at all.  I was just adding to my earlier to add clarity.  Sorry for any confusion.

Point 3:  Here's 3 links from a quick search:

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/mwest/110906

http://apprising.org/2012/11/23/word-faith-pastor-rOBert-morris-calls-mormon-glenn-beck-a-believer/

http://www.thepropheticyears.com/wordpress/i-am-beckoning-by-glenn-beck.html

Point 1:  Well, his bio page has changed and the internet is fraught with attacks against him making it hard to do research.  I have seen such in print either on a book on my shelf or his website and from the memory of our personal conversation.

I am thankful for the work he's done with regards to telling America's real history and not that rewritten by the victors, the Godless Statists who rule today.    

Point 2:  Not about you or your post at all.  I was just adding to my earlier to add clarity.  Sorry for any confusion.  Ok - thanks for clarifying.  I wondered because I thought we were on the same page.  LOL

Point 3:  Here's 3 links from a quick search:  Thanks for the links - will look them over.

http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/mwest/110906

http://apprising.org/2012/11/23/word-faith-pastor-rOBert-morris-calls-mormon-glenn-beck-a-believer/

http://www.thepropheticyears.com/wordpress/i-am-beckoning-by-glenn-beck.html

Point 1:  Well, his bio page has changed and the internet is fraught with attacks against him making it hard to do research.  I have seen such in print either on a book on my shelf or his website and from the memory of our personal conversation. Yeah, that's what I found (that it was hard to find anything).  The info that I did find points to the fact that he's evangelical (I know anyone can be), with a charismatic background. Nothing about Baptists, so I have to wonder, especially in light of his Beck comments, if he's not just being all things to all people....

I am thankful for the work he's done with regards to telling America's real history and not that rewritten by the victors, the Godless Statists who rule today.    I do appreciate the work he's done, but, sadly, he's been called out for falsifying some stuff, too.  More than once, so where there's smoke...KWIM?  I have bought some of his books, but with him, as with most, it's "trust, but verify".  :biggrin: 

What about Frank and Billy Graham? Didn't they go Mormon for Romney?

They didn't go Mormon, but did remove reference to it as a cult from the website (billy's).  Basically embracing it as mainstream and acceptable - thus blurring the lines on what Christianity is yet again...

If Beck was a true born-again believer, in time the Spirit of God should cause him to be very discontent and uncomfortable listening to the teachings of the Mormons, and its doubtful he would have said that following any 'god' as long as they don't teach violence is an okay 'god'.

Beck. I suspect, is whatever he believes its necessary to be, to gain followers. At one time mormons were at least honest enough to declare themselves to be very different than other Christians-now like the new evangelicals, they want to hide and pretend to be mainstream Christians.

Another issue of course, that must be considered when talking about the Mormons, is their close connection to the Freemasons. Joseph Smith was a mason, for a short time, and the mormon temple worship was designed very closely to it. In fact, until fairly recently when a lot of information came out about that connection and it was changed, the initiation into the LDS temple was virtually identical to the initiation into the Masons, complete with aprons, handshakes and blood oaths surrounding exposing the rites. The Mormon temples are replete with Masonic symbology.

09f.jpg  tnauvoo3.jpgHow about those "Eastern Star" pentagrams?

In 1990 they changed a lot of things when they got into the public forum, though the temple imagery is a bit difficult to change.

MissDaisy, he became Mormon because his daughters went to a Mormon stake and felt comfortable there.  The family visited and he felt comfortable and so the rest is history.

He didn't talk religion then. He began a bit before he left Fox (more on the radio), and then really began to focus on it after he left tv.

Mike, Mormons also wear the underwear that is patterned after Masonic underwear (for protection). A good Mormon never took it completely off. Don't know about now, but when I was growing up it was that way.