• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Glenn Beck Invokes Joseph Smith, Mormon Beliefs During Liberty University Speech

RSS Robot

• Members

By Heather Clark Christian News Network LYNCHBURG, Va. – Liberty University and its president, Jerry Falwell Jr., recently invited Glenn Beck to take center stage to address thousands of students during its annual convocation ceremony, whose speech included references to Joseph Smith and Mormon theology. The outspoken conservative talk show host, and founder of the news outlet […]

View the full article

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Beck was introduced by President Jerry Falwell, who noted that the university presented the political commentator with an honorary doctorate in 2010 as he likewise addressed the students during that time.

How nice. Just another example of how sheeple are going to be so easily herded into a one world religion.

This is just another item to add to the long list of why I will not send any of my children to Liberty.

• Members

When Beck was at a peak with his Fox News show and holding rallies, millions of Christians knowing full well he's 100% Mormon nevertheless accepted him as a Christian because he says Jesus. Several Christian "leaders" came forth proclaiming Beck to be a real Christian even though he's a Mormon.

This has been one of the biggest tragedies to come forth from the yoking of so many Christians to the Republican Party and their so-called conservative politics. Just as many yoked with the RCC in political opposition to abortion, which has led to the opening of many doors to "cooperation" with the RCC on many levels, the door was also opened to acceptance of Mormons as Christians.

Beck and Christian "leaders" used this open door to mainstream Mormonism, gain standing for Mormonism to be viewed as "just another Christian denomination", and made it so much easier for Christians to vote for a left leaning Mormon as their Republican candidate for president.

Beck plays the game well, putting forth well spoken conservative sounding ideas, some sayings of Jesus, using the name of Jesus here and there, all while mixing his Mormon beliefs in.

When we yoke with false gods and their worshippers, we open the door to the Enemy, even if we say we have good intentions.

• Members

Glenn Beck needs to get out of the cult hes in and trust Jesus as his savior. 

Many Christians are trying to win him to Christ, EK.  Countless believers are praying for his salvation, as well.

• Members

Unfortunately, Beck has the assurance of several Christian "leaders" and preachers that he's already saved, he can be a good Christian and Mormon at the same time, and he's heaven bound. With that much backing of his perceived good standing with Jesus and his abundant faith in Mormonism, he's not open to thinking he needs to hear salvation messages.

Hopefully through all those prayers and the moving of the Holy Ghost he may eventually soften his heart enough to hear the truth. Until then he'll continue on with a hardened heart he may not even realize is hardened.

Given the willingness of those Christian "leaders" and preachers to declare Beck a saved Christian, one might have to wonder about the condition of their hearts. They may be in as much need of prayer and submitting to the Gospel as is Beck.

• Members

Unfortunately, Beck has the assurance of several Christian "leaders" and preachers that he's already saved, he can be a good Christian and Mormon at the same time, and he's heaven bound. With that much backing of his perceived good standing with Jesus and his abundant faith in Mormonism, he's not open to thinking he needs to hear salvation messages.

Hopefully through all those prayers and the moving of the Holy Ghost he may eventually soften his heart enough to hear the truth. Until then he'll continue on with a hardened heart he may not even realize is hardened.

Given the willingness of those Christian "leaders" and preachers to declare Beck a saved Christian, one might have to wonder about the condition of their hearts. They may be in as much need of prayer and submitting to the Gospel as is Beck.

Good points, John.   It IS those "leaders" and preachers that are influencing Beck the most.  

I have always wondered about the condition of their hearts, as well.  Although, I am not really sure as God is the only one that knows that.  Sadly, these PTB - Powers That Be - may also need to submit to the Gospel, just like Beck, as you stated.   

• Administrators

Maybe I'm just not hearing from them, but who are the Christian "leaders" who have proclaimed that Beck is a real Christian?  

As far as Liberty University, it has not been what I would call a truly biblical place of learning for a number of years, so it's honestly no surprise that Beck was a speaker there (and I don't consider Falwell Jr. a Christian leader, let alone "leader").

• Members

I know David Barton has, he told me himself.  BUT!  Is Barton a Christian leader?  Maybe, he's a Baptist and I'd guess you'd call him an American historian who has a great following among conservatives and conservative Christians.

My Christian leader is my pastor and Jesus Christ.

• Administrators

I know David Barton has, he told me himself.  BUT!  Is Barton a Christian leader?  Maybe, he's a Baptist and I'd guess you'd call him an American historian who has a great following among conservatives and conservative Christians.

My Christian leader is my pastor and Jesus Christ.

Thanks for the info, swath. I did a little checking and found this:

On the September 13th program, Barton played audio of Glenn Beck saying that “the Lord Jesus Christ is my Savior and my Redeemer.” Then Barton said he believed that Beck was a Christian based on his statement of belief and “his fruits,” meaning his good deeds. Based on Beck’s statements, Barton then asked co-host Rick Green, “Glenn says he’s Mormon. Ok, that’s fine. Based on what you heard, if you heard a Baptist say that or if you heard a Methodist say that…what would you say?” After Green answered that Beck’s testimony indicated a real conversion, Barton responded, “Why is it not a real conversion because of the label he wears?”

http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/dr-warren-throckmorton/moody-network-station-drops-david-bartons-wallbuiders-live-over-defense-of-glenn-beck.html

Why isn't it a real conversion because of the label?  Simply put: the Jesus of the Mormon is not the Jesus of the Bible. Yes, they do use the Bible at times (and it's always KJV...at least it was when I was growing up), but it is and always has been below the Book of Mormon.  Saviour and Redeemer mean different things to Mormons, too.

Just a clarification, though. Barton is not Baptist. He is Evangelical, with a charismatic background (he graduated from Oral ROBerts University).

Honestly, I have never thought of Barton as a Christian leader...but rather as an historian of sorts (although some of his stuff has been iffy) whose works need to be vetted just as any other historian.  Would there be actual Christian leaders who have accepted Beck as a Christian?

(don't get me wrong - I believe Barton has influence...)

• Members

When Beck hit his peak and was seen as an influence in the election several Christian pastors made it a point to say they had spoken with Beck and Beck had said all the right things so he's "one of us" (Christian).

I should remember at least one or two of the bigger names but I'm drawing a blank at the moment.

• Members

Just a clarification, though. Barton is not Baptist. He is Evangelical, with a charismatic background (he graduated from Oral ROBerts University).

Barton was pastor of a Baptist church and a baptist church is what funded his collection of antiquities.  That being said, there are evangelical baptists like Todd Friel who do not believe that baptists were never part of Rome and that the baptist denomination was started in America.  Barton certainly does not have the traits of an Independent, Fundamental, Soul-Winning, Baptist.  He is more focused on getting out his history through any (ecumenical) means possible.

Barton told my friend and I he was a Baptist.

As for his saying Beck is a Christian, he did say it, but he (Barton) is wrong.  Glenn Beck is as lost as President OBama and in need of the Savior, Jesus Christ.

As John said, foolish "christian leaders" affirming that Beck is a born-again Christian only makes it harder for Beck to hear and believe the Gospel.

I remember that too John, was it Hagee and Franklin Graham?  There's also some pastor down here in West Palm Beach who used to be on his show a lot; I think he too affirmed Beck's christian credentials.

• Administrators

Well, Barton is the first I've actually seen proof of...and if he said he was a Baptist, I'm thinking he lied to you (something he has done before)...he was a youth pastor at his parents' charismatic church...

Um, I think I did say that Beck wasn't a Christian...if you read my post carefully...

Just out of curiosity and interest, could you find and cite who claimed he was a Christian? Thanks. (it's not that I'm doubting...it's just that all too often we tend to claim that nebulous groups of people say this or that without having sources...)

Archived