• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Need Advice-Sunday School Lesson

JimsHelpmeet

• Members

Hello, all! My dad teaches the youth Sunday school class and I sit in and assist when needed. Lately I've had a burden on my heart to pull the girls aside and do a unit study on modesty. Not just clothing-wise, but behavior as well. Not that our girls are bad, but they are a little rough around the edges. They all come from rough homes, though. These are our bus ministry girls. One has a mother who gave birth to her at 14 or 15, so Mom has been more like a "buddy" than a parent. Three of our kids have dads who are tattoo artists. One has a dad in prison. One has a dad who is a drug dealer. Most of our girls have experienced abuse in the home, in one form or another. Three of our youth are siblings, and they and their parents share a room at an efficiency motel. Needless to say, they aren't seeing good role models in the home.

Here is my concern. I don't want it to come across as sitting them down and shaming them. Most of these girls come to church in hand me down blue jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops, because their families just can't afford to buy them clothes. Our kids are in such a fragile state of mind just dealing with what they deal with at home, that I'm concerned that if I don't approach this subject with the utmost care, they will leave. These young ladies need to be in church. It may be their only hope of making it into adulthood with faith in God, because they are not being discipled in their home. 

I'm just wondering if this is something I should wait and let the subject come up on its own, or what I should do. As I said, it's kind of a delicate situation with these girls and while I don't ever want to water down the Scriptures for the sake of attendance numbers, we can't afford to lose these kids, because when we lose these kids, we lose them to the world entirely.

• Members

I would wait until the subject comes up on its own.  Keep them all together in the Sunday School class, and give them as much Bible doctrine as possible.  The time to teach these things is at other events.  If they are able to come by your house during the week for some kind of informal get-together, then they can see the "real" you at home, and that Christianity is not churchianity - it is something so very real that it drives everything you do.  They won't believe that until they see it demonstrated in real life.  At first, they will prOBably think you are putting on a show, but if they keep coming by your house regularly, they will begin to see that it is real, and that is when the real transformation begins.  Yes, it can be inconvenient at times, but the fruit is very rewarding when the "get it."  Hopefully, this helps.

• Members

I never believed in dividing the sexes for teaching bible doctrine. However there may be times when a "special" class may be needed for teaching each sex about certain things. As for the young girls; I would look for a knowledgeable, Godly woman as the teacher.

• Members

All girls love presents. Buy them the clothes you think they should be wearing to church. Maybe use their birthday individually or come up with a special occasion and use it as a reward. Try to do the something special for the boys as well. Not clothing necessarily but something you perceive they need and don't get at home. If you use the passage of scripture to preach on modesty do it in front of the whole class....boys need to know what kind of woman to look for too.

• Members

I think you can incorporate it in a series of lessons for girls....you can teach modesty without actually saying "pants" ( many skirts are immodest too). You can also teach on dating, being ladylike, etc. I think you can teach the concept and the Holy Spirit may just start teaching the specifics Himself!

• Members

Needless to say, they aren't seeing good role models in the home.

"Girl!  The only people that should see that much of you is your Husband and your Momma.  An' since you aren't married, only you're mother should see that much of you and it should be in private too!"

• Members

No doubt such lessons are needful, and needed throughout the church. Maybe I shouldn't be by now but I'm still shocked by the wedding dresses worn by so many Christian women. The vast majority I see are the strapless dresses that are very form fitting. If one simply went by the pictures of Christian brides over the past several years (or longer) they would get the idea strapless, form fitting wedding dresses is the Christian standard.

Myself, I would have been totally embarrassed to see my daughter wearing one of those and would have felt totally uncomfortable being around her dressed like that.

I still don't get why Christian dads and grooms allow their daughters or brides to reveal so much of their bodies on their wedding day.

• Members

If you have the time, maybe you could start a bible study for the girls, possibly on Saturdays,  or an hour before the evening Sunday service.

Whatever the time and settings may be; there should be a lady present for "girls only" meetings.

• Members

Hello, all! My dad teaches the youth Sunday school class and I sit in and assist when needed. Lately I've had a burden on my heart to pull the girls aside and do a unit study on modesty. Not just clothing-wise, but behavior as well. Not that our girls are bad, but they are a little rough around the edges. They all come from rough homes, though. These are our bus ministry girls. One has a mother who gave birth to her at 14 or 15, so Mom has been more like a "buddy" than a parent. Three of our kids have dads who are tattoo artists. One has a dad in prison. One has a dad who is a drug dealer. Most of our girls have experienced abuse in the home, in one form or another. Three of our youth are siblings, and they and their parents share a room at an efficiency motel. Needless to say, they aren't seeing good role models in the home.

Here is my concern. I don't want it to come across as sitting them down and shaming them. Most of these girls come to church in hand me down blue jeans, t-shirts, and flip flops, because their families just can't afford to buy them clothes. Our kids are in such a fragile state of mind just dealing with what they deal with at home, that I'm concerned that if I don't approach this subject with the utmost care, they will leave. These young ladies need to be in church. It may be their only hope of making it into adulthood with faith in God, because they are not being discipled in their home. 

I'm just wondering if this is something I should wait and let the subject come up on its own, or what I should do. As I said, it's kind of a delicate situation with these girls and while I don't ever want to water down the Scriptures for the sake of attendance numbers, we can't afford to lose these kids, because when we lose these kids, we lose them to the world entirely.

I was a youth pastor for 15 years and had many of my youth that came from broken families, low income families and abused physical and mentally through the bus ministry. I've worked with a lot of very difficult teens some causing troubles with other teens at church and some calling me at two in the morning crying because of a parent abusing them or the loss of a boyfriend, each one is dealing with something different in their life and the approach you take with them concerning the subject has to be done carefully and with Godly love, I never thought much about the way one dressed unless it was indecent, what I was concerned with the most was them trusting in Jesus as their savior and then training them to be disciples. I agree with pastor Steve ,my wife was a great help with the teenage girls coming to the church by the bus ministry, none of them live near us so on Tuesday evenings she would pick them up and bring them to our home and have some girl talk time, during this time our two teenage daughters became their friends setting a good example for them to follow, it wasn't long before they looked forward to coming to our home and having bible study and prayer with my wife and our daughters, today many of these teens have grown into Godly mothers ''all the glory to God'' and are a big part our my family.  I encourage you to pray for the lords guidance and He will help to lead you to do His will concerning them. 

( if you have a daughter or one or two christian girls from your church it would be good to invite them to help out)

please remember these young teens are not saved and most have never been to church and may not look or dress proper,  and we should focus on them trusting in Jesus as their savior because hes the only one that can make the changes.  

I'll be praying for you and these teens

God bless

• Members

Whatever the time and settings may be; there should be a lady present for "girls only" meetings.

I thought that was a given.... I suggested JHP start a bible study, not a no teacher allowed gossip session.... :bleh:  :coverlaugh:

Archived