• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Unsaved Son's Upcoming Wedding

• Members

Do not gaze approvingly upon...

In other words, don't approve of it.s use.

Abstain from every appearance of evil.

Does that glass of water have the same color as the wine that is being consumed? will drinking it or lifting it in a toast cause others to think you are also enjoying and approving of their wine?

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ

• Members

Do not gaze approvingly upon...

In other words, don't approve of it.s use.

Abstain from every appearance of evil.

Does that glass of water have the same color as the wine that is being consumed? will drinking it or lifting it in a toast cause others to think you are also enjoying and approving of their wine?

When you go to a restaurant:

"Does that glass of water have the same color as the wine that is being consumed? will drinking it or lifting it in a toast cause others to think you are also enjoying and approving of their wine?"

Time to stop going to any restaurant that serves alcohol.

• Administrators

Jesus did not go to a wedding where booze was served.  He would not violate the Scriptures, we're not even to look at it.  Jesus cannot sin, did not sin.  The Scriptures don't say anything about bounce houses being there either for the children.  Let the Lord convince you, look up the 200+ verses dealing with booze again.

Jesus went to a wedding where there was a many day feast, where the guests were drinking.  What He made was so good, it was surprising to the governor.  There is no indication that what the guests were drinking before that was not alcoholic. In fact, it likely was because of lack of refrigeration in those days.  That doesn't mean Jesus partook nor that He sinned - and it's dumb to even suggest that I or anyone would think that He did.  Nowhere did I say Jesus "looked" on it - if there was alcohol there, He most certainly did not partake.  That is possible, you know.

I don't need the Lord to convince me, thank you. And I've studied every single verse on alcohol that is in scripture, thank you again.  Nowhere does it say there wasn't alcohol at that wedding.  You add to scripture by assumption when you try to say there wasn't.

• Administrators

When you go to a restaurant:

"Does that glass of water have the same color as the wine that is being consumed? will drinking it or lifting it in a toast cause others to think you are also enjoying and approving of their wine?"

Time to stop going to any restaurant that serves alcohol.

And grocery stores...

• Members

As for stores, Linda and I avoid the alcohol aisle.

And the assumption that wine at the wedding feast was alcoholic is just that... Assumption.

The Fact that the taste buds of the governor were not dulled (which alcohol does to the drinker) is proof enough for me that alcohol was not present.

• Members

Of course Jesus went to places where sinners were, that's the whole point. Some people would no doubt have been drinking at Levi's house too, as well as doing whatever else. If we say 'there's no way Jesus would have come within a mile of where people were sinning' then we negate why He came and dwelt among us. 

Wrong context.

There is no indication that what the guests were drinking before that was not alcoholic.

Nowhere does it say there wasn't alcohol at that wedding.  You add to scripture by assumption when you try to say there wasn't.

And nowhere does it say that there was booze at the wedding.  You add to scripture by adding YOUR assumptions.  Why does their have to be booze at every wedding, especially 2000 years ago?  Why do folks assume when drinking is mentioned that it was booze?

Saying that our Lord and Savior was at a party where booze was being served seems little different than...  well, it's really disappointment to read your comments on this.  

If someone wrote that they were with me yesterday and I was drinking all day long, many would automatically assume it was booze.  No, it was water and diet mountain dew.  

Yes, Christ was around sinners but he did not partake in nor associate with their sins; he rebuked sin. 

• Members

Wrong context.

And nowhere does it say that there was booze at the wedding.  You add to scripture by adding YOUR assumptions.  Why does their have to be booze at every wedding, especially 2000 years ago?  Why do folks assume when drinking is mentioned that it was booze?

Saying that our Lord and Savior was at a party where booze was being served seems little different than...  well, it's really disappointment to read your comments on this.  

If someone wrote that they were with me yesterday and I was drinking all day long, many would automatically assume it was booze.  No, it was water and diet mountain dew.  

Yes, Christ was around sinners but he did not partake in nor associate with their sins; he rebuked sin.

Exactly! And there is no indication that Christ rebuked anyone for the use of alcohol at the Feast.

No mention by Him that some needed to go home and sleep off the effects of the wine.

I believe the text leans more to the fact that alcohol was not present at the Feast in Cana.

• Administrators

Wrong context.

Actually, no I don't add to scripture, because I'm not assuming. Read carefully what I wrote.  There is the possibility of fermented grape juice having been at the wedding.  No assumption, just truth.  None of us can know for sure either way.  Why does 2000 years ago matter? You think there wasn't drunkenness then?  Go back even further in time to Noah's day, Lot, etc...there was drunkenness then, so alcoholic beverage existed way before Jesus' day.

You are purposely mis-reading and mis-stating what I said. I never said He WAS around any of it - I said there is no scripture to say He wasn't.  I'm disappointed in people who don't read things properly.... And no-one said He partook in anything sinful - so stop assuming that anyone did.

SFIC - you believe that, and that's great.  I actually believe that myself.  But guess what?  There's no scripture to definitively say there was absolutely no alcohol there.  And no-one can say there is...

• Members

Well

I tried to drink the toast, one time, but it was a little too brown and crunchy because it scratched my throat something awful on the way down. If it hadn't been for that little bit of butter and grape jelly, I would have choked for sure.  :biggrin:  :hide:

Congrats on the wedding. My Wife and I weren't saved when we got married either. I hope and pray that your kids get saved too. I would not feel comfortable at such a reception, would tell my son so, and leave it at that. I might show up for a minute or two, greet everyone and wish them well, then leave. I would not participate in the "toast" thing.

• Members

Thanks again all for the discussion. All make excellent points and agree that I want to abstain from the appearance of all evil as testimony of my faith in Jesus Christ.  I personally stay out of the alcohol aisles at grocery stores, but have in the past went to sporting events where it is all around. My saved son once innocently took pictures of the "Clydesdales" at the state fair and posted in on Instagram.  I had to point out to him that in the background one could see "Budweiser" signs and that others could perceive this as him condoning it. He understood and immediately removed the post.

Funny Heartstrings about the dry toast! My wife would love if we could use toasted PBJ's to salute their marriage :clapping:

I have never had a prOBlem longing for alcohol but I still try to stay away from it as best I can.  Unfortunately like lustful ads and dress it is everywhere in society. Who can even watch the Super Bowl anymore?

Does anyone know the meaning behind the toasting?  I mean if we use different glasses with green mountain dew, would that show people that we are not partaking in alcohol or is the very act itself celebrating and advocating alcohol?  I really have no prOBlem sitting there with a smile on my face if that is the case.  I hear these toasts can be brought up at anytime by someone so I do not know if excusing myself and leaving every time is possible but could be good for my exercise :coffee: By the way, are these coffee guys toasting?

• Members

It has been a really long time since I attended a wedding reception where alcohol was served, so perhaps my etiquette is a bit rusty, but is it common now for the groom's family to make a toast? I thought it was typically the best man who toasted, not the parents of the bride and/or groom. I thought if any parents did the toasting, it was the father of the bride who would toast the couple. 

• Members

HI,

Our first son is going to marry his fiance this OctOBer.  Unfortunately they are both unsaved and while being a "good boy" he lives a pretty secular lifestyle. My wife and I are not even sure if they are going to allow our pastor to marry them yet as the wedding is at a hotel along with the reception and rehearsal dinner. Our beliefs are known by them and we are paying for the rehearsal dinner with NO money towards alcohol.  I have read that it is customary to "toast" at these rehearsals and of course the wedding reception too.  Is this acceptable in God's eyes if we are drinking water? 

At previous weddings we have just skipped this.  But would that be considered rude and cause hurt feelings? also they are having alcohol and a DJ at the reception.  We want no part of either but feel confused about things like the Mother/Son dance and the like. I feel like I know what I should do but am unsure how to preserve hurt feelings or appearing rude?

Thanks- Jebarr

Jebarr, My daughter (I expressed joy when she said she was saved...another thread...not so evident today based on scripture) will be married to her lost fiance next year in May.  I payed for the wedding venue already, a chapel where she attends school, I have no idea the name of the preacher or anything about them. The wedding is 1000 miles away where my daughter is completing her education. I know there will be a reception, no details about it yet but, it is over a year away. I most likely will be faced with many of the things you have concern about.