• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mark And Avoid Or Spit Out The Bones?

swathdiver

• Members

Tis true, that Jesus gave us no new commandment, neither did He seek to undo the Law.
This would happen at His Death, God would rend the Veil.

Paul was given instructions for the Church that were different. Why?
Because they were people who werent raised under The National Jewish Law. This is of utmost importance, as some of the Epistles of the Apostles were written to Christians converted from Judaism, who still lived in an area that enforced Mosaic/ pharisaic law, until 70 A.D.

The Gentiles, having not known the Law, were instructed not to hold their spouses who would not be converted, if they wanted to leave.

Any Gentile , no matter what their Marital status before their new birth,
was only held to what they did afterwards.
So, yeah, there is a whole lot of divorce, when married people get saved, and it is to be expected, it is dealt with.
Let them go, or let them stay, it's the choice of there Free Will, and is a picture, once again, of our Free Will choice to choose our brideGroom, Christ.

Anishinaabe

Well, well, looky here. I we got us a closet dispensationalist.

Bible becomes oh so much clearer when the Spirit shows you where God changes His dealings with us or the Jews, don't it?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Easy, Paul because I'm in the church age.

Jesus gave us no new doctrine, he just reiterated the original plan and what God permitted through Moses because of man's hardened heart.

So you rightly divide between church age and Moses.

What about between Jesus and Paul?

Do you believe the church age started before Christ went to the cross?

• Members

Then what does Paul mean when he says,15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases:"?

Under bondage to what? It means we are not under bondage to that unbelieving spouse that has left-its abandonment. If my unbelieving wife left me, walked out, wanted a divorce, Paul is saying that I am not under bondage to that person-thus, if we dvorce and I remarry, I am free to do so. Not under bondage means not bound to them.

Jesus' comment on fornication has nothing to do with the hardness of heart issue, and He makes it clear in the context. The hardness of heart issue had to do with divorce for any reason. Then He says that the way it was meant to be was one man, one woman, and there should be no divorce, save for the cause of fornication.  So here He gives one good cause for divorce. And of course, the believer/unbeliever issue isn't brought yet into play because as yet there are no believers/unbelievers, per se, or no saved/unsaved-He is dealing with the people of Israel, God's people still at the time.  Paul deals with the church, regenerate married to unregenerate, which the Bible makes clear is not God's will in the first place, unless two are married as both unsaved, then one is saved.

To try and explain away the clear words of Jesus and Paul is why so many divorced people are thrown away by churches. It has been my experience in some IFB churches who see it that way, that a divorced person is good for two things only: to fill a seat and to pay a tithe. Otherwise sit down and shut up.

I see UKU, you rightly divide between Israel and the church.  I am glad to see you had a understanding of pre cross and post cross.  Many don't see it that is why they blend the gospel of the Kingdom and the gospel of Grace into one gospel.

• Members

Well, well, looky here. I we got us a closet dispensationalist.

Bible becomes oh so much clearer when the Spirit shows you where God changes His dealings with us or the Jews, don't it?

Well, Jesus kinda gave us the Intro...

Mat 5:17-20
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets:I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven:but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Gal 3:24-25
24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Jesus, until His death, was the fulfillment of the Schoolmaster, always showing us that we can't possibly work our way in.

Jn 5:39
39 Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life:and they are they which testify of me.

Where we disagree, is in division of Matthew.
Where Jesus said this :

Mat 16:18
18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

And this:

Mat 18:17
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church:but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.

Before this:

Mat 24:4
4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, Take heed that no man deceive you.

To these, who he had begun to call the church:

Mat 24:3
3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

After saying, to Israel, this:

Mat 23:37-39
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
38 Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.
39 For I say unto you, Ye shall not see me henceforth, till ye shall say, Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.

Signifying that their restoration would not begin until His second Coming, which happens ...

Mat 24:29-31
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven:and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

"After the Tribulation".

Anishinaabe

• Members

Then what does Paul mean when he says,15 But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases:"?

Under bondage to what? It means we are not under bondage to that unbelieving spouse that has left-its abandonment. If my unbelieving wife left me, walked out, wanted a divorce, Paul is saying that I am not under bondage to that person-thus, if we dvorce and I remarry, I am free to do so. Not under bondage means not bound to them.

No, such a meaning makes Paul look silly, for just seconds ago he said remain unmarried or be reconciled.  He says the same thing in verse 28.

Verse 15 means that the unbeliever is not entitled to come back and spend the night, expect to be cared for, etc.  Unless of course, they reconcile.  

That's the only way that whole passage makes sense.

Same with Christ, again he was talking about what God permitted under Moses which was still in effect.  They were only allowed to divorce for the cause of fornication and that was because their hearts were hardened.  See?  They didn't have enough grace in them to be like Hosea with Gomer.  

• Members

The Gentiles, having not known the Law, were instructed not to hold their spouses who would not be converted, if they wanted to leave.

If what you say about verse 15 is true, how do you reconcile verse 11 and 27?  What do they then mean?  Reconcile or remain unmarried cannot mean get back together or stay single anymore.  It must mean something else.  What?

What about between Jesus and Paul?

Do you believe the church age started before Christ went to the cross?

If there is an apparent conflict between Paul and Christ we must look to who their messages were meant for.  Right?  That doesn't mean we ignore the 4 gospels and follow Paul or visa versa, every word in the scriptures benefits us. 

The bible says the law and the prophets were until John.  So yes, the church age started before Calvary, before Pentecost. 

• Members

The first, reconciliation, refers to believers, both spouses, while the other refers to a believer and an unbeliever.

Mike, I have considered your position and again have to reject it on biblical grounds.  Verses 12 and 13 clearly admonish the believer not to leave his or her unbelieving spouse.  The Lord then gives the reason for such in verses 14 and 16, because they and the children are sanctified and that they may get saved.  

God's plan for the church age is no divorce for any reason.  If it does occur, one is to remain unmarried or be reconciled.

• Members

Sadly, those who are unwilling to make their marriage work and choose to file for divorce are not going to accept resolving to either remain unmarried or reconcile with their spouse.

Even among Christian women one of the first things I hear when a woman divorces her husband is her "friends" telling her to start dating, that God will send the right man to her, that she'll be married and happy in short order.

Biblical teaching on marriage, divorce and remarriage is greatly lacking. Add to this the willingness of most Christians to ignore, skip or re-interpret Bible verses on these matters and it's no wonder this prOBlem plagues Christians in like manner as the lost.

• Members

If what you say about verse 15 is true, how do you reconcile verse 11 and 27?  What do they then mean?  Reconcile or remain unmarried cannot mean get back together or stay single anymore.  It must mean something else.  What?

If there is an apparent conflict between Paul and Christ we must look to who their messages were meant for.  Right?  That doesn't mean we ignore the 4 gospels and follow Paul or visa versa, every word in the scriptures benefits us. 

The bible says the law and the prophets were until John.  So yes, the church age started before Calvary, before Pentecost. 

NoOne I included ever said to ignore any books of the Bible.  We just don't apply everything to us that's all.

The church of the first born is the church that the gates of hell will not prevail against and that is Israel, also known as the church in the wilderness.

• Members

The church of the first born is the church that the gates of hell will not prevail against and that is Israel, also known as the church in the wilderness.

Well...  Christ said he would build his church and the gates of hell would not prevail against it.  That's the local New Testament Church, not Israel.  Which do you mean?

• Members

Mike, I have considered your position and again have to reject it on biblical grounds. Verses 12 and 13 clearly admonish the believer not to leave his or her unbelieving spouse. The Lord then gives the reason for such in verses 14 and 16, because they and the children are sanctified and that they may get saved.

God's plan for the church age is no divorce for any reason. If it does occur, one is to remain unmarried or be reconciled.

The context is OBvious, if the unbeliever wants to leave, let them go.
It is talking about a marriage where one of the partners gets saved, but not the other.
You now have light in union with darkness.
The husband is the head of the home, thus, if he is a believer, sanctified everyone under his authority.
The wife has instructions for her, if she believes first.
God allows that the Gospel carries an offense.

Anishinaabe

• Members

The context is OBvious, if the unbeliever wants to leave, let them go.
It is talking about a marriage where one of the partners gets saved, but not the other.
You now have light in union with darkness.
The husband is the head of the home, thus, if he is a believer, sanctified everyone under his authority.
The wife has instructions for her, if she believes first.
God allows that the Gospel carries an offense.

Anishinaabe

I'm not sure we're in disagreement here.  Whether a believer or not, God's plan for marriage today does not include divorce.

I might add that any believer in a home of unbelievers sanctifies that home according to the scriptures (verse 14 for example).

• Moderators

I'm not sure we're in disagreement here.  Whether a believer or not, God's plan for marriage today does not include divorce.

I might add that any believer in a home of unbelievers sanctifies that home according to the scriptures (verse 14 for example).

I agree-but God's plan also didn't include sin, death, murder, or a plethora of things that have occurred. So, for the remedy of those things, Christ died on the cross so that such things can be placed under the blood. And, in the case of marriage, while it is not God's plan, clearly, yet knowing it would happen, He gave certain allowances for those who are the 'left', if you will. If one's spouse leaves them, commits adultery and departs, particularly being an unbeliever, does the 'innocent' party then have to be found a guilty sinner when it wasn't their sin that caused it?

And if so, even at the worst, is it a sin that cannot be forgiven, placed under the blood of Christ, and forgotten, as with all sins? Is this the one we don't let go of? Or do we forgive men their trespasses, as we are told to do? Or is it a forgiveness with strings attached?

Now, certainly, there are some things that may have strings attached, so to speak-you aren't going to assign a converted child molester to a Sunday School teacher. But that's less about strings as it is protection of that person, so they are not brought into temptation, as well as the children.

Archived