• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Do Good People Go To Hell?

paid4

• Members

God has recently laid something on my heart. I've heard a lot of IFB preachers tell how hell would be full of "good" people. After much study in God's word it hurts my heart to hear this. There will be no good people in hell. I would also like to say there will be no good people in heaven either. Also, God does not send anyone to hell. It is a choice.

Here is a few references I was studying.

Matthew 19:17, Mark 10:18, Luke 18:19

Psalm 14:1-3, Ps 53:1-3

Isaiah 64:6

What's your thoughts on this?

• Members

Rom 10:3-4
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.
4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Maybe they meant this?

Anishinaabe

• Moderators

Yes, I suspect it refers to the world's idea of 'good'; folks like "mother" Theresa, or various popes, people who have done 'good' works, by worldly standards.

"Lord, Lord, didn't we do such and such in YOUR name?" BY the world's standards, OBama is "good" because he's got, in their view, good motives. Some are 'good' because they want to save the planet, save the whales, save the aardvarks, whatever.  Dalai Lama is 'good' in many people's minds.

Of course, Jesus makes it clear there is only ONE good, and that's God. And He's in heaven, so he's already there.

• Members

By the way. I love the little app. you have on here that let's you see the verse just by putting your mouse over it. That's awesome.

I think Ukulelemike is right. I think sometimes preachers say stuff like that to relate to the lost to make their point. Of course everyone will declare their own goodness and the goodness of the deceased. If a lost person can figure someone went to heaven by being a good person then they would be ok too.

It's prOBably the hardest thing in living the life of a Christian....comparing yourself to God instead of others. I've learned a lot from this study and these verses help when I start to have a pitty party because I'm comparing myself to others. Jesus said you will be my friends if you do what I say. Sounds unfair but when you consider that He is the standard it's fully understandable.

Just unloading and hoping to edify a little. Thanks for the response.

• Members

Thanks for the info! I never knew the trick with the mouse for reading the whole verse!

My pastor also preaches the gospel message at funerals which is the perfect place when people are thinking about death and eternity! I can't imagine a funeral where the gospel message isn't included in the service.

• Members

Praise God for every pastor who shares the Gospel at funerals!

The pastor who conducted one of my uncle's funeral spent most of his time trying to convince us that my uncle had "a hidden religion of the heart" while trying to preach him into heaven. Sad, so wrong and misleading, and most of those in attendance were unsaved.

• Members

I know an unsaved lady who I have prayed for and witnessed too for many years. See is kind and helpful to others. She goes to church. She has worked with several Christians who live right. She thinks she is going to heaven and has told me so.

• Members

Thanks for the info! I never knew the trick with the mouse for reading the whole verse!

My pastor also preaches the gospel message at funerals which is the perfect place when people are thinking about death and eternity! I can't imagine a funeral where the gospel message isn't included in the service.

I've been to some of them. It's really sad. There is absolutely no hope of heaven in those sermons. I think everyone in the room can tell that the speaker is just trying to tell them what they want to hear.

Now on the flip side I have set through a funeral recently that felt like a Pentecostal Church Service. Lots of yelling and shouting even from the pews. Lots of Jesus name thrown around but never the actual gospel message.  That felt really overdone and tasteless for a funeral but all the lost people felt "good" afterwards.

• Moderators

I will never say someone is in heaven if I'm not pretty certain of it. What I DO say, is that if we could speak with the decesaed one final time, if they could step back through the veil once, they would assuredly tell us to follow Christ unto salvation. Because, honestly, whether a person is in heaven OR hell, that WOULD be their message.

Archived