• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should O.b. Be Ifb Only?

Arbo

• Members

I believe as Salyan said, that those with clearly unbiblical views and from other apostate denominations are easy to spot quickly.  Within 2 posts we knew "Banner" was SDA for instance and he didn't last long.  What I OBject to the most is topics getting hijacked to much and straying FAR from the OP.  Some have their favorite "hOBby horse" and seek for any possible tie-in, no matter how flimsy it may be, to jump into a conversation and continue beating their dead horse.  I would list some of those topics but then it would give these people the tie in they need to pull out their dead horse. 

Bro. Garry

• Members

Yeah, but when the SAME PERSON continues to perpetuate the SAME TIRED ARGUMENTS at every opportunity, it turns into a "dead horse." 

And these SAME PERSONS absolute refuse to accept anyone else's counter-arguments, regardless of who says it, and how it is said.  That is why it is a "dead horse."  They insist on injecting their venom, refuse to hear anyone else's position, immediately blast any contrary position as "unscriptural," and then pretend that nOBody has "proven them wrong." 

GARBAGE.

• Members

I realize now that my question needs to be clarified a bit.  My question was more about other Christian and Baptist groups:  Southern Baptists and other branches, Presbyterians, nondenominationals, and the like.  Not cults.

I admit that, not being an IFB, some of the responses are causing a bitter taste of being unwelcome.  The order of priority in my mind should be Christian, Baptist, then particular branch.  Not the other way around 

• Members

There are those who have found their way into the IFB section, who quite clearly have 'redefined' what IFB means to them so they can tell BroMatt that they qualify.

I have no prOBlem with others in the general site, but there used to be a safe haven here where the discussions appeared to be almost without exception civil. Not always in agreement, but without the discord sown by some.

Now, as displayed clearly to me recently, there is no safe haven here, and you can be chased freely through the whole site by those intent on attacking you.

This is not BroMatt fault - he accepts people on their word. He can't help it if people lie to him.

• Members

Who besides Covenanter is preterist (and he's partial preterist; which I don't recall what that distinction means right now).

Bro Matt has already set forth his standards for this site with regards to who is allowed to participate and remain, and to how one is considered IFB or not.

As has been pointed out, IFBs hold to a variety of viewpoints and beliefs. That's the nature of something "independent". Some of those differences are minor, some are key doctrinal differences.

Since Bro Matt has already established the standards here, and some OBviously disagree with them, that in itself should serve to point out that no matter what standards are set forth, some will like them, some won't, and so long as humans are involved here there will be good and bad going on.

As Salyan pointed out, much of the contention comes from among the IFBs here. One look at various IFB churches, "camps", schools and such around the land and it's easy to see why.

The differences here give us the opportunity to put into practice what our Lord called us to live. Things such as patience, being kind one to another, doing and saying all things in real love, praying for wisdom, helping others with the hope of them growing in the Lord, considering what is put forth and searching the Scriptures.

• Members

Arbo,

Yes, we are Christians first and foremost, but we tend to fellowship with like minded Christians.  This sight is unashamedly Baptist as an invitation to primarily other Baptists who are like-minded to join and fellowship.  It is not that others are not welcome, but rather that others are welcome to attend a Baptist website.  Hopefully that makes sense.

• Members

There are certain truths that are fundamental to Christianity that cannot be compromised ,these are the divine creation, the verbal inspiration and inerrancy of scripture, the virgin birth of Christ, His deity, substitutionary atonement , bodily resurrection, and physical return, and the existence of a literal heaven and hell. if one were to read the doctrine statement posted by OB they would find that OB is fully in agreement with these fundamentals.

which would make it a fundamental web site.

Christians might disagree in some other areas but to deny these essentials is to abandon the christian faith and sow discord among faithful Christians.

I'm in agreement with brother Steve, brother John, sister Salyan and others here.

God bless 

• Members

There are certain truths that are fundamental to Christianity that cannot be compromised ,these are the divine creation, the verbal inspiration and inerrancy of scripture, the virgin birth of Christ, His deity, substitutionary atonement , bodily resurrection, and physical return, and the existence of a literal heaven and hell. if one were to read the doctrine statement posted by OB they would find that OB is fully in agreement with these fundamentals.

which would make it a fundamental web site.

Christians might disagree in some other areas but to deny these essentials is to abandon the christian faith and sow discord among faithful Christians.

I'm in agreement with brother Steve, brother John, sister Salyan and others here.

God bless 

Agree.  I have the impression that some think that KJO should be added as well, and to think otherwise is akin to heresy.

Archived