• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Should O.b. Be Ifb Only?

Arbo

• Members

Yes it should be.  If this is a "website for Independent Baptists" then it should be what it advertises.  Unfortunately, since Independent Baptists are just that - independent - there will be some differences in our doctrine.

I don't mind reasonable discussions with those who might have different beliefs on some doctrines.  The prOBlem I have is that there are a couple of people who use this forum for one reason - to sow discord by constantly injecting their false doctrine on others, even if it means thrusting their false doctrine into the middle of a conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with their garbage.  A couple of others just wait for anything dispensational to pop up so they can argue their anti-dispensational view.  I would not mind that if they were reasonable, but they are not - they eventually resort to "guilt by association" tactics and go down the road of name calling.

Some of the false doctrine that is promoted here is so outrageous, and the people who promote it are so outrageously out of line in their posting and attitudes, that it is my view that those select individuals should be banned so that the rest of the group can enjoy the conversation and fellowship.

my 2 cents.

• Members

My answer comes from the title of this site:

Online Baptist

An Independent Baptist Community Since 2002!

It is stated to be "an independent Baptist community" so my question would be, why has it not remained an independent Baptist community?

I just checked my profile. I have been a member of Online Baptist since March 2004 (10 years). In those 10 years I have only posted 444 times. Don't ask me why. I don't know.

• Moderators

Those with clearly unBiblical beliefs that come here with an agenda are usually easy to spot and weed out. A lot more contention is created by IFB folk. Making the forum IFB only wouldn't fix that. I like the interaction with the occasional visiting Catholic or Mormon - we have a huge opportunity to plant seeds of truth in those folk. 

Also, not that we are a church (we're not!), but churches welcome those differing beliefs to come if they are willing to quietly learn and not make trouble (remembering that honest questioning and discussion is not making trouble). Seems a good formula to me.

• Members

A 'community' doesn't have to be an exclusive community, so there's no contradiction between what the title says and what this site is (a community that is predominantly IFB).

But as if providing such a forum wasn't benevolent enough, Matt even has the IFB-only space for those who don't wish to interact with anyone who isn't IFB. And how can that space be inadequate? If you only want to talk to IFB people, just visit the IFB-only section of the forum and don't visit the other bits. Simples!

• Members

I would like to think that preterism has not gained any foothold in IFB circles, and to my knowledge, it does not.  Yet it runs rampant here

It has along with Calvinism. I just read on WND that it has gained foothold among those who call themselves Evangelicas too.

Personally, I don't care for the title of IFB anymore but prefer Bible Believer. 

• Moderators

My answer comes from the title of this site:

Online Baptist

An Independent Baptist Community Since 2002!

It is stated to be "an independent Baptist community" so my question would be, why has it not remained an independent Baptist community?

I just checked my profile. I have been a member of Online Baptist since March 2004 (10 years). In those 10 years I have only posted 444 times. Don't ask me why. I don't know.

445. :bleh:

Archived