• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Concealed Carry

Arbo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I was a child there were no laws against carrying a gun. I remember one time when my Dad and I got back to town after some early morning hunting and Dad still had his pistol on his hip as we walked down the sidewalk and into the bank where Dad cashed his paycheck.

Guys drove their trucks to school with their guns in their truck gun racks, pistols in the glove compartment of their car rifles and shotguns in their trunk. Most of the guys carried the big folding Buck knives in a pouch on their belt all through school.

Not even a single incidence of anyone ever pulling a gun or knife on anyone.

• Moderators

I'm all for it. As the old saying goes, "if you outlaw guns the only people that will have guns will be the outlaws".

It seems most cases I have read about involving violence with guns had to do with people OBtaining their firearms less than legally. I also believe that if law abiding citizens were allowed to conceal carry in places like schools and bases some of these more heinous crimes would have been less costly.

On the other side of the spectrum you have Tennessee:

Tennessee Senate passes open carry bill

Following the logic of the liberals, this should make Tennessee something like the wild west. We shall see...

Let's see who allows open carry:

OC (open carry) and highly unlikely to get hassled by LE Law Enforcement) -- WA, MT, ID, NV, SD, WY, AZ, NM, KS, AR, MS, KY, NC, VA, VT, AK

OC and possibly hassled by LE (usually in big cities) -- OR, CO, NE, WI, MO, LA, AL, MI, OH, WV, PA, DE, NH, ME

OC only if you have a CCL (Concealed Carry License): UT, OK, ND, MN, IA, IN, TN, GA, (the following states are in real life practice nigh impossible to get a license except in rural CT and MD) MD, NJ, RI, CT, MA, HI

Rural OC only: CA

No OC, no way: TX (OC of long guns only), FL, SC, DC (I know it's not a state, but they don't), NY, IL

• Members

I'm kind of mixed about it. In some ways I really appreciate living in a country with not much gun crime. Moreover, it would come as a bit of a culture shock if suddenly everyone started wandering around carrying weapons, just as it would be if everyone started carrying swords.

On the other hand, I struggle to conscience taking away a very effective means of protection (perhaps the only means of protection) from women, old people living alone etc. I can't help but wonder whether violence against women--maybe even domestic violence--would be much reduced if all women carried guns. You hear stories of old women whose homes are burgled again and again until one day, inevitably, one of the break-ins results in her death. When I read such a story I think to myself, is her blood on our hands? After all, according to the law she was allowed to use whatever means she could to protect herself once her life was in danger, but the law had also prevented her from owning prOBably the only thing that could have helped.

I live in UK btw.

I've listed my reason below why I believe it's just fine to have both open and concealed carry; and why the Federal Government has no further action or lawful business in making this an issue.

Congress of the United States begun and held at the City of New-York, on Wednesday the fourth of March, one thousand seven hundred and eighty nine.

THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.

RESOLVED by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America, in Congress assembled, two thirds of both Houses concurring, that the following Articles be proposed to the Legislatures of the several States, as amendments to the Constitution of the United States, all, or any of which Articles, when ratified by three fourths of the said Legislatures, to be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of the said Constitution; viz.

ARTICLES in addition to, and Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America, proposed by Congress, and ratified by the Legislatures of the several States, pursuant to the fifth Article of the original Constitution.

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Edit to get the amendment correct (II); It does protect the amendment before it. 

• Members

I'm kind of mixed about it. In some ways I really appreciate living in a country with not much gun crime. Moreover, it would come as a bit of a culture shock if suddenly everyone started wandering around carrying weapons, just as it would be if everyone started carrying swords.

On the other hand, I struggle to conscience taking away a very effective means of protection (perhaps the only means of protection) from women, old people living alone etc. I can't help but wonder whether violence against women--maybe even domestic violence--would be much reduced if all women carried guns. You hear stories of old women whose homes are burgled again and again until one day, inevitably, one of the break-ins results in her death. When I read such a story I think to myself, is her blood on our hands? After all, according to the law she was allowed to use whatever means she could to protect herself once her life was in danger, but the law had also prevented her from owning prOBably the only thing that could have helped.

I live in UK btw.

I have a friend in Canada who cannot comprehend US gun laws, and I learned quickly not to even broach the subject of shooting or concealed carry with her. Although she lives in a low crime area and cannot conceive of needing a gun.

But in the US for some reason illegal gun use is rampant....and more laws won't stop that....so I guess around here you just gotta do what you gotta do.

• Members

Did you know tha

"I am chief" that's Amendment II, not I.

Anyway, onward: Extended interviews with inmates showed that 60% of criminals feared legal "victim" targets being armed more than they feared the police.

Did you know that burglars fear dogs more than guns when it comes to home invasions?

• Moderators

Did you know tha

Did you know that burglars fear dogs more than guns when it comes to home invasions?

That's because they know most people can't get to a gun quickly enough in their home, since home invaders prefer to hit while you're awake and willing to answer a knock at the door (or catch you eating supper).

Burglary and home invasion are different dynamics though under similar statutes. 

• Members

If you look at the statistics on wikipedia the murder rates in various countries are all over the place with some countries with the strictest guns laws coming in the highest. I'm sure a lot of those murders are done with a gun.

Mexico has very strict guns laws yet lead the whole world in murders last year.

According to wikipedia America is on the low side in murder rates compared to the rest of the world.

This tells me that just because the UK, Australia or Canada have low murder rates doesn't mean that stricter gun laws would work in the USA.

Archived