• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

How Wealthy Was Job?

heartstrings

• Members

JOB 42:

12 So the Lord blessed the latter end of JOB more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.

Based on today's prices, I did my own estimates of JOB's net worth in livestock. An adult ewe (female sheep), in the US today, will sell for upwards of $150 each for decent commercial stock, up to $300 or more for really nice purebreds and even more for registered animals. JOB ended up owning over $2 million worth of sheep by the conservative estimate.

Camels are a little harder to figure but they seem to sell for between roughly $9,000 to $12,000 each in the US. So a very conservative estimate for 6,000 camels would be valued at over $50 million.

Cattle prices, today, are the highest they've ever been here in the US. Calves are selling for around $2/pound on the hoof. A bull(Ox) will weigh anywhere from 1500lbs for a smaller animal or a large one in poor condition, but a good sized one in good condition will weigh around a ton. If you just took half of that price per pound, you have an animal worth $2000. But JOB's oxen were trained animals. How many acres of crops could be plowed with a thousand yoke of oxen? I would say an awful lot. Anyway, 2000 oxen(two to a yoke) would be worth roughly $4 million sold by the pound.

"She asses" are actually worth money, here in the US, but males seem to be nearly worthless as you can find them for free on Craigslist quite often. If they are for sale they're usually pretty cheap. The male donkey I happen to have on my farm is one of those Craigslist freebees as well. Here's a free one, in my area,... http://panamacity.craigslist.org/grd/4400852827.html But I'm sure the female donkeys JOB had, were more valuable in JOB's day, because they were beasts of burden. But the ones we have today would be worth, conservatively, about $100 each so that's another $100,000.

Neither a camel, nor donkey would be worth anything unless it was used for something. So JOB may have been involved in some type of trade caravan business, indicating the capacity for even more wealth.In animal prices alone, JOB would be worth around $56,000,000 today. But I doubt this was very important to brother JOB who said:

25For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

26And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

• Members

JOB 42:

12 So the Lord blessed the latter end of JOB more than his beginning: for he had fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand she asses.

Based on today's prices, I did my own estimates of JOB's net worth in livestock. An adult ewe (female sheep), in the US today, will sell for upwards of $150 each for decent commercial stock, up to $300 or more for really nice purebreds and even more for registered animals. JOB ended up owning over $2 million worth of sheep by the conservative estimate.

Camels are a little harder to figure but they seem to sell for between roughly $9,000 to $12,000 each in the US. So a very conservative estimate for 6,000 camels would be valued at over $50 million.

Cattle prices, today, are the highest they've ever been here in the US. Calves are selling for around $2/pound on the hoof. A bull(Ox) will weigh anywhere from 1500lbs for a smaller animal or a large one in poor condition, but a good sized one in good condition will weigh around a ton. If you just took half of that price per pound, you have an animal worth $2000. But JOB's oxen were trained animals. How many acres of crops could be plowed with a thousand yoke of oxen? I would say an awful lot. Anyway, 2000 oxen(two to a yoke) would be worth roughly $4 million sold by the pound.

"She asses" are actually worth money, here in the US, but males seem to be nearly worthless as you can find them for free on Craigslist quite often. If they are for sale they're usually pretty cheap. The male donkey I happen to have on my farm is one of those Craigslist freebees as well. Here's a free one, in my area,... http://panamacity.craigslist.org/grd/4400852827.html But I'm sure the female donkeys JOB had, were more valuable in JOB's day, because they were beasts of burden. But the ones we have today would be worth, conservatively, about $100 each so that's another $100,000.

Neither a camel, nor donkey would be worth anything unless it was used for something. So JOB may have been involved in some type of trade caravan business, indicating the capacity for even more wealth.In animal prices alone, JOB would be worth around $56,000,000 today. But I doubt this was very important to brother JOB who said:

25For I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth:

26And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:

You forgot a big part of ranching costs.  The value of the necessary land or grazing rights.  And speaking of grazing rights, he will want to steer clear of Federal lands.

God bless,

Larry

• Members

Good point. Here, it takes roughly 1 acre/5 sheep of good grazing land and roughly 1 acre/cow. So the sheep and oxen alone would need about 4,800 acres which is 7.5 square miles. I don't know how many acres it would take for the donkeys and camels but if they needed only a half acre each that would be another 3500 acres. Wow! How much would 8,300 acres of farmland cost?

• Members

Here is a nice sounding place in Montana.  It's 1 1/2 million.  If JOB can't swing it, maybe I'll check into it myself . . . . whoops, forgot I'm strapped for cash right now.

Only prOBlem I see with it is a couple thousand acres of it are Federal grazing land, got to pay yearly grazing fees.

Another prOBlem . . . . I'm not sure those Montana cattlemen would appreciate a sheepherder moving in. :knuppel:  You do know that (nothing personal here) they don't think their cattle stink as bad as sheep.  :th_wellduh:

http://www.docs-archive.com/view/3a4eb3f81715451d7046b319cf83b5fc/Clark-%26-Associates-Land-Brokers%2C-LLC.pdf

God bless,

Larry

• Administrators

Only prOBlem I see with it is a couple thousand acres of it are Federal grazing land, got to pay yearly grazing fees.

http://www.docs-archive.com/view/3a4eb3f81715451d7046b319cf83b5fc/Clark-%26-Associates-Land-Brokers%2C-LLC.pdf

God bless,

Larry

Don't worry about it!  If they find tortoises there, they'll just drive you out...and kill the tortoises anyway. 

• Members

Don't worry about it!  If they find tortoises there, they'll just drive you out...and kill the tortoises anyway. 

Yeah, I saw that yesterday.  Big brother and his police state enforcing the U.N. laws in Nevada. 

God bless,

Larry

• Administrators

Yeah, I saw that yesterday.  Big brother and his police state enforcing the U.N. laws. 

God bless,

Larry

It's heating up and could very well a step towards martial law. I know people poo-poo that idea, but it is one way BO can hang on to his "office" and all its perks.

• Members

JOB was a lot wealthier than me.  I have never had cattle.  I did have 5 ducks once, but the fox got them.

The most land we had was when we had a house in France with 45 are, about 1¼ acres. An are is 100 square metres.

Archived