• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

So How Does A Person Get Saved?

Donillo

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a testimony of a lady who had been a member of her church for 50 years and had witnessed to the lost and did many other great things in the church thinking for many years that she was saved. one Sunday her church had a visiting pastor that preached on salvation, the Holly Spirit begin to convict her heart and when the pastor gave the alter call she came forward and trusted Jesus as her savior, she was 85 years old , her testimony is a bible tract which I gave out for a while and I'm looking to see if I have anymore left and if I do I'll try and post it hear, it's a blessing and well worth the time to read for the many whom may think they're saved by works.

God bless   

• Members

I have a testimony of a lady who had been a member of her church for 50 years and had witnessed to the lost and did many other great things in the church thinking for many years that she was saved. one Sunday her church had a visiting pastor that preached on salvation, the Holly Spirit begin to convict her heart and when the pastor gave the alter call she came forward and trusted Jesus as her savior, she was 85 years old , her testimony is a bible tract which I gave out for a while and I'm looking to see if I have anymore left and if I do I'll try and post it hear, it's a blessing and well worth the time to read for the many whom may think they're saved by works.

God bless   

I suspect brother Smith that there may be a few currently on this site who have no clear testimony of their new birth.

Without recollection of a single point in time where they clearly heard the Gospel and OBEYED the Gospel, calling out to God to save them and afterward realized a new life, outlook and vision of the world...then they were never born again and are very religious and very lost.

Oh they understand very well with their heads and can hold their own in any discussion of the Word, they are still lost. The world is full of people who believe in the Lord Jesus Christ but they never as of yet have believed ON Him.

If this post saddens, upsets or angers you, you best stop what you are doing and search yourself..you may be a tare. What, do you think the tares our Lord refers to know they are tares? This is why I post this.

No apologies on this post and this one is not opinion and is authoritative. "having a form of Godliness but denying the POWER thereof". The POWER is the new birth.

You can have everything locked in your head, you can know more than all, but without the new birth it will equal damnation.

I suspect there are vast numbers who have simply adopted fundamental Bible Christianity over time as their "religion".  They have worked at it, learned it and OBeyed Jesus's teachings and the Apostles as best anyone could but were NEVER born again. If this is you than you are lost and without hope. You simply chose or fell into or inherited fundamental Bible Christianity as your religion instead of catholicism or islam or Mormonism, etc. 

BUT IT IS NEVER TOO LATE WHILE YOU STILL BREATH.

Think about it.

• Moderators

If this post saddens, upsets or angers you, you best stop what you are doing and search yourself..you may be a tare. What, do you think the tares our Lord refers to know they are tares? This is why I post this.

Whoah. I get what you're saying, but to say that if someone disagrees with your post they better make sure they're really saved is rather presumptuous, eh?

• Members

Swath asked what repentance and faith means.  Those are very good questions.  One I am not sure I can answer.  I have struggled with the meaning of these words in the context of salvation.

Repentance.  It means to turn around or to turn away. But how does one do that?  What must we turn from?  Does it mean turning away from a particular sin we struggle with?  Jesus said to the woman caught in adultery to go and sin no more.  Surely she still struggled with her sin after that.  She was still tempted, I imagine, as we all are.  I know I have an ongoing struggle.  Always have and always will.  So does repentance indicate I will never sin again?  I don't think that is what it means.  It means that my way of thought has changed.  Instead of filling my mind with things that will "water seeds of evil" so to speak, I fill my mind with the teachings of Christ.  My mind has turned.  So instead of dwelling on thoughts of anger and bitterness, I dwell on thoughts of love and compassion.  Instead of dwelling on lustful thoughts.  I dwell on thoughts of love.  I will always struggle with sin.  There will always be seeds of sin within us that if given proper conditions will grow.  There will also be seeds of good in us, that if watered will grow into the fruits of the Spirit.  So I tend to believe repentance is a change of what our mind dwells on.  When Jesus told the adulterous woman to go and sin no more, it was much deeper than the outward manifestation of sin.  It was her heart.  Before, she desired sex or companionship with one other than her husband.  Now, she desires to learn the teachings of Christ and follow them.  Paul struggled and indicated the things he does not want to do he does, and things he wants to do he does not do.  Yet Paul had repented.  So the struggle will persist, but it is about our minds and how we will water the seeds that are in our hearts.  At our foundation, we have anger, laziness, greed, lust, impatience, selfishness, etc.  Prior to Christ, we tend to create an atmosphere in which those things will flourish.  Instead, we need to fill our minds to water the seeds of love, joy, peace patience, kindness that is within us.  So I think that is what repentance means.  Turning away and not filling our minds with things that will foster the growth of sin and harm, and filling our minds of things that will promote growth of fruits of the spirit.

So what is faith?  Is it mere belief?  Is it academic assent?  Does faith require action?  I believe faith and action are intertwined.  Faith goes to the core of our being.  It is our philosophical outlook on life.  It guides and dictates our actions.  This goes back to repentance above.  As we fill our minds with the teachings of Christ, our faith with grow.  As our faith grows, our actions will reflect that through the manifestation of the fruits of the Spirit. 

Salvation is a free gift.  Yes.  That is true.  However, it is a costly gift as well.  It changes us at the core of our being.  It puts aside anger, selfishness, pride, lust, greed, etc. It kills those things which our in us.  The seeds will still be there and attempt to grow back, thus the eternal struggle we have during our lives.  It is also extraordinarily complex to describe what happens and how God accomplishes that work.  A description is not necessary to experience it.  Salvation is something we grow into.  We start of as babies, and Paul puts it, and then grow as we learn and follow the teachings of Christ. 

• Moderators

Repentance is a change of mind. Once we thought our sin was fine, good, we were great with God and everything would work out in the end. Then we realized that our sin was evil, we were separated from God and going to hell. The Holy Spirit convicts the world of sin, righteousness and judgement, and I think these are the areas in which we change our mind when we repent as well. Now, a true change of mind will always result in us doing something differently. In the case of salvation, the only action that must take place in order for salvation to occur is that the sinner, having realized that they are a sinner, en route to hell and in need of a Savior, chooses to place their trust in Christ for salvation. "That they repent, turn to God, and do works meet for repentance." "This it the work of God, that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent."  Everything else is sanctification. To add any other work to salvation itself is a works salvation.

Repentance is not us doing things differently or us filling our minds with different things. One, a sinner can't not sin. Two, the attempt to do so would be bringing works into salvation. Salvation is not something we grow into. It is an instantaneous event - a birth. Sanctification is where we grow, daily and yes, with struggle. But even that is God working in us and we responding in OBedience - we don't do the doing. He does. We do not save ourselves by our own actions, and we cannot sanctify ourselves by our own actions. 

"O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not OBey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?

• Members

Whoah. I get what you're saying, but to say that if someone disagrees with your post they better make sure they're really saved is rather presumptuous, eh?

Nah, this may be the only real Bible post on this forum to date. Noones opinion here young lady.

Archived