• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist Church Sign Heresies

• Members
25 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Hmmm. So, do I add my thoughts on the matter of "Good Wednesday" or "Good Thursday"?

To begin, I shall present only this -- Due to the grammatical precision of various passages in Scripture, I believe that our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Thursday.

If anyone would be interested for me to present the Biblical support for my position, you may simply ask.

I'd like to see it.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
On 3/23/2016 at 9:02 PM, Standing Firm In Christ said:

From levitt.com, Zola Levitt's ministry page,...

"Jews counted a partial day as a full day according the the rabbinic concept of “Onah” So three days did not have to be a 72-hour period"

That's nonsense.  Ask Zola Levitt to identify and quote his source. Levitt is misrepresenting the Talmud.  

Jesus was not crucified on Friday.  Friday absolutely does not fit.  Friday is tradition, not reality.

I'm not too concerned about cute church signs that might not nail good doctrine.  But, I am concerned with bad tradition being confused with sound doctrine. 

• Members

After three days

• Mt 27:63  Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
  • Mr 8:31  And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

How can after three days be less than three days ?

• 1 month later...
  • Administrators
5 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Every year or two my church puts up the comparison between baby sea turtles and the murder of unborn babies.  Always guaranteed to generate a few phone calls and a liberal parent to withdraw their kid from the academy. 

I'm not familiar with the baby sea turtle thing, can you explain?

• Members
On 9/1/2018 at 11:10 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

I'm not familiar with the baby sea turtle thing, can you explain?

There are more laws on the books to protect unborn baby sea turtles than unborn children.  Florida is one of the largest nesting grounds for sea turtles in the world.  All along our beaches on both coasts, turtles come ashore, dig holes and lay their eggs.  There are laws on the books that prevent anyone from molesting a turtle nest (marked by scientists) or the turtles themselves.  The street lights and people living on or near the shore during "sea turtle season" are not allowed to have their lights on for fear that the little turtles will head towards their lights and not the surf, in the misguided thinking that they head towards the moonlight.    

• Administrators

OK I see Swath. Same old animal rights nonsense. It has always amazed me that almost without fail these people are for saving everything except human babies. They will quickly advocate for and crusade to save animals, while just as quickly advocate and vote for abortion of the unborn human babies.

• Members
On 9/3/2018 at 11:36 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

OK I see Swath. Same old animal rights nonsense. It has always amazed me that almost without fail these people are for saving everything except human babies. They will quickly advocate for and crusade to save animals, while just as quickly advocate and vote for abortion of the unborn human babies.

That's right, they worship the creation more than the Creator!

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 3/23/2016 at 7:54 PM, Alan said:

Please notice that I used the scriptures as positive evidence that the Lord Jesus was in the grave an exact three days and nights, and not the secular history of the Jews.

Also, please take careful note of those who account the scriptures as the final authority in faith and practice, the scriptures do not give an account, or even hint of an account, as presented by SFIC. 

The Lord Jesus was crucified in a GENTILE manner, under the authority of a GENTILE ruler, Pilate, and buried under the authority of the GENTILE Roman Army Centurian following the orders of the GENTILE Roman Governor, Pilate.

As far as the scriptural account is concerned, the only Jewish tradition followed at the burial of the Lord Jesus was the spices for the body as recorded in John 19:40.

In fact, the GENTILE Roman Governor, Pilate, did not allow a Jewish ceremony to take place and disregarded the custom of burying a dead person on the Sabbath. If you look closely at the scriptual account, Joseph had to BEG Pilate for the body. "He [Joseph] went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered." Matthew 27:58

The whole contention of SFIC, and the useage of Jewish tradition not mentioned in scripture to override a bible teaching, is in error. The Lord Jesus was in the grave for three full 24 hour days. Just because Jewish tradition says a partial day could be counted as a full day is immaterial to a bible believer.

NN is correct. The above church sign is not scriptual.

Absolutely correct, Alan! I don't want to derail the thread, but the Sabbath being on a "Thursday" is absolutely true if one does their homework using exegesis and biblical hermeneutics. For starters . . . what many people fail to realize is that there were TWO sabbaths before Friday (cf. Mk. 15:42-43)

• 11 months later...
  • Members

The Jews of that time/place called any special observance a "High Sabbath", & these included the two "Holy Convocations" of Passover Week. The rules were the same as for the regular weekly Sabbath, plus the special rules for that occasion. Thus, there could be two Sabbaths in one week. (If the special day fell on the regular Sabbath, the same rules were observed.)