• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Baptist Church Sign Heresies

• Members

Here's just a few heretical "quotes" that I've seen on the signs in front of some of the local Baptist churches in my area...

LIVE RIGHT,

OR YOU'LL BE LEFT!

THE ONLY THING THAT LASTS FOREVER IS GOD'S LOVE

DIRECTIONS TO HEAVEN:

TURN RIGHT, THEN GO STRAIGHT

• Members

Our church only has a small sign, with room for the service times and such.

Like NN, I really wonder if some who put up the "witty" sayings on their signs even bother to think about what they put up. Considering the false belief that if one is "good enough" they will go to heaven, it's so dangerous to put up a sign which gives the idea that if one "lives right" they will go to heaven.

Many people who won't bother to step inside a church will yet read church signs as they drive by. If Scripture or at least something scriptural can't be put forth, leave the sign blank rather than helping the devil with promoting false hope.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Our church sign has two boards.  One gives the times of services and contact details,  The other at more or less right angles has the name of the church and a scripture text poster (KJV) from the Trinitarian Bible Society.  We buy a number of their laminated posters and leave them on the board for about a fortnight, then change them.  

Full range here http://www.tbsbibles.org/shop.php?sess=dmAhOXllIChoeig8ZHQsOT8%2BdWcnJzUnPXZ6KSNhajktY3YiPnFiMyBseCc%2FYnY4

But we only use a selection, about 10 or 12 and rotate them.

They also have a larger range which they display on some railway stations.  Some stations will not allow them and some reject certain posters.

• Members

As the pastor of our church, I have established some guidelines for our church sign.  Since my wife handles the "posting" on the sign, things are even easier to control.  My guidelines -- We "post" announcements concerning special services or quotes from God's Holy Word.  How can ANY humanly created witty saying be superior to the living power of God's own Word?  Do we want to impress people, or do we want to lead people unto our Lord and His truth?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

In opposition to the OP, this wasn't on a Baptist church sign, but I saw this on my way to work today...

Without Good Friday, Easter would be impossible!

I know what they're "trying" to say, but I guess they've never done the math?

This was on our local First Christian Church's sign...the same church that had an Elvis impersonator during one of their services recently. :blink: