Jump to content
Online Baptist

Baptist Church Sign Heresies


Recommended Posts

  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Here's just a few heretical "quotes" that I've seen on the signs in front of some of the local Baptist churches in my area...

 

LIVE RIGHT,

OR YOU'LL BE LEFT!

 

 

THE ONLY THING THAT LASTS FOREVER IS GOD'S LOVE

 

 

DIRECTIONS TO HEAVEN:

TURN RIGHT, THEN GO STRAIGHT

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

I see these sorts of signs fairly often too. In an effort to be clever or cute, they wind up putting forth that which is false.

 

If the saying can't be put forth in a clever or cute way and still be biblical, better to simply put up a message that's biblical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Yep - our sign deliberately has no room for sayings.
You end up scratching from something new and attention grabbing, always trying to better the last one.
Some might be able to do it well, but I have better things to spend my energy on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Our church only has a small sign, with room for the service times and such.

 

Like NN, I really wonder if some who put up the "witty" sayings on their signs even bother to think about what they put up. Considering the false belief that if one is "good enough" they will go to heaven, it's so dangerous to put up a sign which gives the idea that if one "lives right" they will go to heaven.

 

Many people who won't bother to step inside a church will yet read church signs as they drive by. If Scripture or at least something scriptural can't be put forth, leave the sign blank rather than helping the devil with promoting false hope.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

When I went to a "First Baptist" SBC, the "sign committee" had a little book full of witty things to put on the church sign. Most of them were really silly. Our church sign says, "Welcome to the Friendliest Church in Georgia!" on one side, and the other has our service times.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

Our church sign has two boards.  One gives the times of services and contact details,  The other at more or less right angles has the name of the church and a scripture text poster (KJV) from the Trinitarian Bible Society.  We buy a number of their laminated posters and leave them on the board for about a fortnight, then change them.  

 

Full range here http://www.tbsbibles.org/shop.php?sess=dmAhOXllIChoeig8ZHQsOT8%2BdWcnJzUnPXZ6KSNhajktY3YiPnFiMyBseCc%2FYnY4

 

But we only use a selection, about 10 or 12 and rotate them.

 

They also have a larger range which they display on some railway stations.  Some stations will not allow them and some reject certain posters.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

As the pastor of our church, I have established some guidelines for our church sign.  Since my wife handles the "posting" on the sign, things are even easier to control.  My guidelines -- We "post" announcements concerning special services or quotes from God's Holy Word.  How can ANY humanly created witty saying be superior to the living power of God's own Word?  Do we want to impress people, or do we want to lead people unto our Lord and His truth?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 year later...
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

In opposition to the OP, this wasn't on a Baptist church sign, but I saw this on my way to work today...

Without Good Friday, Easter would be impossible!

I know what they're "trying" to say, but I guess they've never done the math?

This was on our local First Christian Church's sign...the same church that had an Elvis impersonator during one of their services recently. :blink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

I've seen a few signs, only one on a Baptist church, advertising along with their Easter services, Easter egg hunts and Easter games and prizes. :(

Thankfully, I've seen a couple of signs calling folks to attend Resurrection Day services. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member
11 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

In opposition to the OP, this wasn't on a Baptist church sign, but I saw this on my way to work today...

Without Good Friday, Easter would be impossible!

I know what they're "trying" to say, but I guess they've never done the math?

This was on our local First Christian Church's sign...the same church that had an Elvis impersonator during one of their services recently. :blink:

Of course they haven't done the math, they just follow blindly.

ARE THERE NOT TWELVE HOURS IN THE DAY? John 11:9 (and by implication twelve hours in the night.) Friday till the First day "While it was yet dark" is at the most two days and at the least one.

The following is what I have written to circulate to our church leaders.

Crucifixion Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?

In three days.

The traditional teaching is that Jesus was crucified on Good Friday and rose at sunrise on Easter Sunday.  Verses quoted to justify this teaching are  ──

Mark 16:2  And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

Mark 16:9  Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

Luke  24:1  Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

John 20:1  The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

Matthew 26:61 And said, This fellow said, I am able to destroy the temple of God, and to build it in three days.

Matthew 27:40  And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross.

Mark  15:29  And they that passed by railed on him, wagging their heads, and saying, Ah, thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days,  John2:19  Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

John 2:20  Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?

The problem with that teaching is that from Friday to Early on Sunday is nowhere near to three days, we are told “A part of a day is considered as a whole day.”   Alternatively you could say that any time between Friday and Sunday is in three days. So that is the rationale behind Good Friday, but is it good enough?   

After Three Days            

There are other scriptures that appear to contradict that.  The first was that Jesus would rise after three days.

 

Mark 8:31  And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

Matt 27:63 Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, “After three days I will rise again.”

Again that is an imprecise time.  It could be any time after time after three days.

 

Three Days and Three Nights.

 

Are there not twelve hours in the day? John 11:9

 

The final verses I wish to consider is that he was to be in the tomb for three days and three nights.  This is the only precise time.   In three days fits in the time period of three days and three nights as does after three days.

 

Matthew 12:38 ¶  Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. 39  But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas: 40  For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale’s belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

 

Jonah 1:17  Now the LORD had prepared a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights. 2:1 ¶  Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish’s belly, 2  And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice

3  For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. 4 Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple. 5  The waters compassed me about, even to the soul: the depth closed me round about, the weeds were wrapped about my head. 6  I went down to the bottoms of the mountains; the earth with her bars was about me for ever: yet hast thou brought up my life from corruption, O LORD my God.,

 

Jonah being three days and three nights in the belly of the fish was a sign. This, I believe is the true time period and can be shown from scripture.  If we take the time from Friday evening till Sunday morning as three days and three nights we have also to say that Jonah was only in the belly of the great fish for one day and two nights at most. So how does the rest of scripture fit in with this?

John 19:31 ¶  The Jews therefore, because it was the preparation, that the bodies should not remain upon the cross on the sabbath day, (for that sabbath day was an high day,) besought Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. 32 Then came the soldiers, and brake the legs of the first, and of the other which was crucified with him. 3 But when they came to Jesus, and saw that he was dead already, they brake not his legs: 34 But one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water.

35 And he that saw it bare record, and his record is true: and he knoweth that he saith true, that ye might believe. 36 For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken. 37  And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.

38 ¶  And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly for fear of the Jews, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus. 39 And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight. 40 Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.

41  Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid.42  There laid they Jesus therefore because of the Jews’ preparation day; for the sepulchre was nigh at hand.

There were two Sabbaths that week. The first was on the first day of unleavened bread and was a High Day.  The body was taken down from the cross as the Sabbath was fast approaching and placed in a nearby tomb in the garden as the Sabbath began. After the first Sabbath Mark 15:47  And Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where he was laid. 1 ¶  And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.    Compare carefully  Luke 23:55  And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.56  And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment. 1 ¶  Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

We see that the women bought spices after the Sabbath was past. Prepared them, then rested on the Sabbath then went to the tomb.

God is a God if exactness, The traditional view gives only 1 night, one day and part of a night.  But Wednesday crucifixion with the burial as the Sabbath was beginning and the resurrection exactly 72 hours later fulfils all three versions of the prophecy.  In Three days will include three full days.

5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

6 ¶ And God said, Let there be a …………And the evening and the morning were the second day.

9 ¶ And God said, Let the waters ………….13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.  Here we see the first, second and evenings and mornings comprised of three full days.

Three days and three nights fits exactly.  The first visit to the tomb was Mary Magdalene while it was still dark and at the end of the Sabbath, Matt 28:1 ¶  In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre.  My guess would be that Mary was so keen to get to the tomb she left in the twilight when the Sabbath was ending and the first day beginning, “In the end of the Sabbath.”  The Lord was already risen. Three full days, and three full nights.

It may be said that Mark 16:9 ¶  Now when Jesus was risen early the first day of the week, he appeared first to Mary Magdalene, teaches that the resurrection was on Sunday morning,  but it says he was already risen early on the first day, that is our Saturday evening.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

There need only be two full days with a partial day and two whole nights with a partial night, not three full days.

 

look at the timeline carefully.  The longest time period that Jesus could have been in the tomb is 63 hours.  The shortest time period could have been forty -eight hours and a few minutes.

 

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

Friday Day one.  Friday evening/ Sabbath Night, Night  one,  Saturday/ Sabbath Day 2. In  the end of the Sabbath. (at twighlight.) zero nights. = two days and one night.  So you are saying that Jonah was in the belly of the fish only two days and one night?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

Friday Day one.  Friday evening/ Sabbath Night, Night  one,  Saturday/ Sabbath Day 2. In  the end of the Sabbath. (at twighlight.) zero nights. = two days and one night.  So you are saying that Jonah was in the belly of the fish only two days and one night?

Think about it, Invicta.  Jesus had to have been buried in the ground sometime between 3:00 PM when He died, and 6:00 PM when the next day began.

Now, three full days and three full nights would mean that his resurrection would have to take place between 3:00 PM and 6:00 PM.  It would still be daylight.  People would be out and about and noticed the stone rolled away from the tomb long before sunrise.

 

Here is a chart I did that shows the timeline,...

Three Day Timeline.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

My chart demonstrates that being dead in the tomb three days and three nights does not necessitate three twenty-four hour periods of time.   Jesus was in the tomb three days of the week and also three nights of the week; albeit, the first day was only a partial day and the last night a partial night.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist
9 hours ago, Invicta said:

There were two Sabbaths that week. The first was on the first day of unleavened bread and was a High Day.  The body was taken down from the cross as the Sabbath was fast approaching and placed in a nearby tomb in the garden as the Sabbath began. After the first Sabbath Mark 15:47  And Mary Magdalene and Mary the mother of Joses beheld where he was laid. 1 ¶  And when the sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, had bought sweet spices, that they might come and anoint him.    Compare carefully  Luke 23:55  And the women also, which came with him from Galilee, followed after, and beheld the sepulchre, and how his body was laid.56  And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment. 1 ¶  Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

 

 

We see that the women bought spices after the Sabbath was past. Prepared them, then rested on the Sabbath then went to the tomb.

 

 

God is a God if exactness, The traditional view gives only 1 night, one day and part of a night.  But Wednesday crucifixion with the burial as the Sabbath was beginning and the resurrection exactly 72 hours later fulfils all three versions of the prophecy.  In Three days will include three full days.

Invicta is entirely correct. The scriptures are very clear that there were two Sabbaths the week of the Crucifixion. The idea of a 'Good Friday,' or 'partial days,' are in error.

The Lord Jesus, as Jonah was in the belly of the whale for three days and three nights (very exact), was in the grave for three days and three nights.

Edited by Alan
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

In order for the Lord to have been in the tomb 72 hours, then Jesus would have had to been buried on the Sabbath.  The problem with the three literal day theory is blantantly obvious.  Jews could not bury their dead on a Sabbath.

 

Both Invicta and Alan are wrong.

Edited by Standing Firm In Christ
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Members

According to orthodox Judaism:

A funeral can take place at a graveside or funeral home. Selections are read from the Torah for the deceased. Once at the graveside, the service consists of reciting a prayer which expresses acceptance of God's decisions, followed by the reciting of more prayers (S. A., 1978). After the funeral, those attending form two lines and the mourners pass between them. As they do, traditional words are said, "Ha-makom yinakhem et-khem betokh she-ar aveilei tziyon veyerushalayim, May God comfort you among all the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem". After the funeral, Shiva lasts seven days. The day of the funeral is the first day and one hour of the seventh day counts as a full day.

 

Granted, this is speaking of a practice that takes place AFTER a burial.  However, it clearly shows that the Jews do recognize a partial day as a full day.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist
1 hour ago, Standing Firm In Christ said:

In order for the Lord to have been in the tomb 72 hours, then Jesus would have had to been buried on the Sabbath.  The problem with the three literal day theory is blantantly obvious.  Jews could not bury their dead on a Sabbath.

 

Both Invicta and Alan are wrong.

 

1 hour ago, Standing Firm In Christ said:

According to orthodox Judaism:

A funeral can take place at a graveside or funeral home. Selections are read from the Torah for the deceased. Once at the graveside, the service consists of reciting a prayer which expresses acceptance of God's decisions, followed by the reciting of more prayers (S. A., 1978). After the funeral, those attending form two lines and the mourners pass between them. As they do, traditional words are said, "Ha-makom yinakhem et-khem betokh she-ar aveilei tziyon veyerushalayim, May God comfort you among all the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem". After the funeral, Shiva lasts seven days. The day of the funeral is the first day and one hour of the seventh day counts as a full day.

 

Granted, this is speaking of a practice that takes place AFTER a burial.  However, it clearly shows that the Jews do recognize a partial day as a full day.

 

 

1 hour ago, Standing Firm In Christ said:

From levitt.com, Zola Levitt's ministry page,...

 

"Jews counted a partial day as a full day according the the rabbinic concept of “Onah” So three days did not have to be a 72-hour period"

Please notice that I used the scriptures as positive evidence that the Lord Jesus was in the grave an exact three days and nights, and not the secular history of the Jews.

Also, please take careful note of those who account the scriptures as the final authority in faith and practice, the scriptures do not give an account, or even hint of an account, as presented by SFIC. 

The Lord Jesus was crucified in a GENTILE manner, under the authority of a GENTILE ruler, Pilate, and buried under the authority of the GENTILE Roman Army Centurian following the orders of the GENTILE Roman Governor, Pilate.

As far as the scriptural account is concerned, the only Jewish tradition followed at the burial of the Lord Jesus was the spices for the body as recorded in John 19:40.

In fact, the GENTILE Roman Governor, Pilate, did not allow a Jewish ceremony to take place and disregarded the custom of burying a dead person on the Sabbath. If you look closely at the scriptual account, Joseph had to BEG Pilate for the body. "He [Joseph] went to Pilate, and begged the body of Jesus. Then Pilate commanded the body to be delivered." Matthew 27:58

The whole contention of SFIC, and the useage of Jewish tradition not mentioned in scripture to override a bible teaching, is in error. The Lord Jesus was in the grave for three full 24 hour days. Just because Jewish tradition says a partial day could be counted as a full day is immaterial to a bible believer.

 

On ‎2016‎年‎3‎月‎23‎日 at 11:09 AM, No Nicolaitans said:

In opposition to the OP, this wasn't on a Baptist church sign, but I saw this on my way to work today...

Without Good Friday, Easter would be impossible!

I know what they're "trying" to say, but I guess they've never done the math?

This was on our local First Christian Church's sign...the same church that had an Elvis impersonator during one of their services recently. :blink:

NN is correct. The above church sign is not scriptual.

Edited by Alan
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist

Hmmm. So, do I add my thoughts on the matter of "Good Wednesday" or "Good Thursday"?

To begin, I shall present only this -- Due to the grammatical precision of various passages in Scripture, I believe that our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Thursday.

If anyone would be interested for me to present the Biblical support for my position, you may simply ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Independent Fundamental Baptist
25 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Hmmm. So, do I add my thoughts on the matter of "Good Wednesday" or "Good Thursday"?

To begin, I shall present only this -- Due to the grammatical precision of various passages in Scripture, I believe that our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Thursday.

If anyone would be interested for me to present the Biblical support for my position, you may simply ask.

I'd like to see it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...
  • Members
On 3/23/2016 at 9:02 PM, Standing Firm In Christ said:

From levitt.com, Zola Levitt's ministry page,...

 

"Jews counted a partial day as a full day according the the rabbinic concept of “Onah” So three days did not have to be a 72-hour period"

 

That's nonsense.  Ask Zola Levitt to identify and quote his source. Levitt is misrepresenting the Talmud.  

Jesus was not crucified on Friday.  Friday absolutely does not fit.  Friday is tradition, not reality.

I'm not too concerned about cute church signs that might not nail good doctrine.  But, I am concerned with bad tradition being confused with sound doctrine. 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Advanced Member

After three days

  • Mt 27:63  Saying, Sir, we remember that that deceiver said, while he was yet alive, After three days I will rise again.
  • Mr 8:31  And he began to teach them, that the Son of man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

How can after three days be less than three days ?
                                  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...