• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Wine

Arbo

• Members

Hosea 4:11 - Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart. 

Is the new wine fresh grape juice?

Yes.

Hosea 4:11
Whoredom and wine1 and new wine2 take away the heart.

wine -  
  יין
- Transliteration: Yayin
- Phonetic: yah'-yin
- Definition:  wine 

new wine -
   תּירשׁ תּירושׁ
- Transliteration: Tiyrowsh
- Phonetic: tee-roshe'
- Definition:  wine, fresh or new wine, must, freshly pressed wine 

• Members

Interesting... If true, some people may need to rethink some positions.

What do you mean?

Whoredom, wine, and new wine had taken their hearts away from God.  Rather than giving God first place in their lives and hearts, their hearts were lusting after whoredom, wine, and new wine.  

I think it's safe to say that all of us allow things to take away our hearts at times.

• Members

Please notice the preceding verse...

Hosea 4:10-11
10   For they shall eat, and not have enough: they shall commit whoredom, and shall not increase: because they have left off to take heed to the LORD.
11   Whoredom and wine and new wine take away the heart.

Please notice the opening verse of the chapter...

Hosea 4:1
Hear the word of the LORD, ye children of Israel: for the LORD hath a controversy with the inhabitants of the land, because there is no truth, nor mercy, nor knowledge of God in the land.

The whole chapter is about how they have turned their hearts away from God.  Why is it hard to understand that new wine/grape juice can turn their hearts from God? None of us lived back then, but I don't think they had a very wide assortment of drinks to enjoy.  Water and a few juices maybe? I'm sure grape juice was considered delicious and refreshing.  It may not turn our hearts from God today, but I can see how it would have back then.

It says that "grape juice takes the heart away"? 

I better check the originals on that one.

:nuts:

Technical huh? Okay, you got me on that one.  However, that's exactly what the new wine was...grape juice.

• Members

Anybody reading this...ask yourself...What takes my heart away from God?

It might sound ridiculous that simple grape juice could take the Israelite's hearts from God. It was OBviously important to the Israelites, or it wouldn't have taken their hearts away. What takes your heart from him?

I'm ashamed of some of the petty and ridiculous things (that I thought were important), but I allowed them to take my heart from him, and if you're honest, you'd be ashamed of yours too.

• Members

So grape juice takes the heart away from God?

New wine was also fermented it just wasn't as strong.

Acts 2:13- Others mocking said, These men are full of new wine.

Read the text. So grape juice causes people to act drunk?

• Members

Sugar can make one hyper and act out of sorts.

Indulging in anything, including new wine is as sinful as watching too much television or stopping work every few minutes to check the sports or stocks.  Same thing in that verse, no big revelation for the sipping saint to justify his sin.

• Members

Nothing in the text refers to drunkenness. Does whoredom make one drunk?

What about this....
14 But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words: 15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
Acts 2:14-15

Archived