• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Family Salvation

John81

• Members

In some cultures the father or patriarch was revered and the family pretty much followed him no matter what. They still had to of their own free will accept Christ but the family was more unified under the head of the household more than they are now.

Contrary to the state of deterioration in modern American culture, Biblically, the father is still, today, supposed to be the patriarch of the family. When a father of a household gets saved, he becomes a 'new creature' and his life begins to transform, the change can be so drastic that he will become the leader in that home.,,,no matter what modern culture is. Likewise If the mom gets saved first, she can take the lead by giving godly submission to her husband.  If your home life is transformed from one of sin, strife and turmoil into one of peace and joy, it can influence the rest of the family to want to get saved.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I see in the latest issue of Sword of the Lord they put forth a clarifying statement regarding the article/sermon mentioned in the OP.

The explanation is a little weak (to me anyway) but the editor (Sheldon Smith) did make a clear statement he/Sword believe salvation is an individual matter.

Even though they received many letters and calls regarding the original article/sermon due to the clear presentation therein that if one member of a family gets saved Scripture either guarantees or virtually guarantees the family will be saved too; especially if the saved one prays for them; Smith said he doesn't think that's what the article/sermon actually says.

Yet, that article/sermon mirrors one of the teachings of Andrew Murray, who did declare what amounts to family, or household, salvation as being a biblical promise and The Sword does sell Murray books, though I don't know if they sell the book containing that teaching.

In any event, though The Sword put forth a very weak defense of their printing that article/sermon, they did at least make a clear statement of belief that salvation is an individual matter. (some see this as a mixed signal since the article/sermon so clearly presents family/household salvation as a biblical promise even as The Sword says they don't believe that)

Anyway, I thought this update should be put forth since The Sword took the time to address the issue.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Why would anyone find this a negative thing?

I think it would be a comfort to know God is going to work on you if someone in your family is saved.

Sometimes people tend to panic when they hear the truth of the Gospel, because some Christians try to scare them into it.

When I got saved, it was not out of fear of hell, but I was drawn by the

free mercy of the God of all creation, dying on a cross for me out of his love for me. 

I think people over emphasize fear.

The Lord wants all to be saved, and the percentage of one getting saved is highly prOBable when one is in a Christian home.

To say otherwise is to doubt God knows what his word can effect, when it is concentrated around the lost soul.

His word will not return void.

Archived