• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Heavens Shall Roll Up As A Scroll

• Members

The Heavens shall Roll Up as a Scroll

Isaiah 34:1-4

1 Come near, ye nations, to hear; and hearken, ye people: let the earth hear, and all that is therein; the world, and all things that come forth of it.

2 For the indignation of the LORD is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter.

3 Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their carcases, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood.

4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree.

Isaiah 51:3-6

3 For the LORD shall comfort Zion: he will comfort all her waste places; and he will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the LORD; joy and gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of melody.

4 Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people.

5 My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.

6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

Isaiah 25:4-8

4 For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.

5 Thou shalt bring down the noise of strangers, as the heat in a dry place; even the heat with the shadow of a cloud: the branch of the terrible ones shall be brought low.

6 And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.

7And he will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations.

8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.

Revelation 6:12-17

12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Heavens shall Roll Up as a Scroll

Isaiah 34:1-4

1 Come near, ye nations, to hear; and hearken, ye people: let the earth hear, and all that is therein; the world, and all things that come forth of it.

2 For the indignation of the LORD is upon all nations, and his fury upon all their armies: he hath utterly destroyed them, he hath delivered them to the slaughter.

3 Their slain also shall be cast out, and their stink shall come up out of their carcases, and the mountains shall be melted with their blood.

4 And all the host of heaven shall be dissolved, and the heavens shall be rolled together as a scroll: and all their host shall fall down, as the leaf falleth off from the vine, and as a falling fig from the fig tree.

Isaiah 51:3-6

3 For the LORD shall comfort Zion: he will comfort all her waste places; and he will make her wilderness like Eden, and her desert like the garden of the LORD; joy and gladness shall be found therein, thanksgiving, and the voice of melody.

4 Hearken unto me, my people; and give ear unto me, O my nation: for a law shall proceed from me, and I will make my judgment to rest for a light of the people.

5 My righteousness is near; my salvation is gone forth, and mine arms shall judge the people; the isles shall wait upon me, and on mine arm shall they trust.

6 Lift up your eyes to the heavens, and look upon the earth beneath: for the heavens shall vanish away like smoke, and the earth shall wax old like a garment, and they that dwell therein shall die in like manner: but my salvation shall be for ever, and my righteousness shall not be abolished.

Isaiah 25:4-8

4 For thou hast been a strength to the poor, a strength to the needy in his distress, a refuge from the storm, a shadow from the heat, when the blast of the terrible ones is as a storm against the wall.

5 Thou shalt bring down the noise of strangers, as the heat in a dry place; even the heat with the shadow of a cloud: the branch of the terrible ones shall be brought low.

6 And in this mountain shall the LORD of hosts make unto all people a feast of fat things, a feast of wines on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wines on the lees well refined.

7And he will destroy in this mountain the face of the covering cast over all people, and the vail that is spread over all nations.

8 He will swallow up death in victory; and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from off all faces; and the rebuke of his people shall he take away from off all the earth: for the LORD hath spoken it.

Revelation 6:12-17

12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

13 And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

14 And the heaven departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

15 And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

16 And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

17 For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

Ok we know these scriptures.  What is your point about the listing these verses that say the heaven well be rolled up like a scroll or Vanish like smoke?  and Why did you insert Isa 25:4-8 in between?  It would seem it has nothing to do with the heavens being rolled up as a scroll.

Adding 2Peter 3:10, 12 would have been a little more supportive than Isa 25:4-8.

• Members

Ok we know these scriptures.  What is your point about the listing these verses that say the heaven well be rolled up like a scroll or Vanish like smoke?  and Why did you insert Isa 25:4-8 in between?  It would seem it has nothing to do with the heavens being rolled up as a scroll.

Adding 2Peter 3:10, 12 would have been a little more supportive than Isa 25:4-8.

The obvious understanding of Isaiah 25 is Jesus' victory at Calvary.

• Members

AV,

Isaiah is telling us what destroys the heavens in Isaiah 25. It is the blast of the terrible ones that blows against the wall and kills the strangers with a hot cloud. A nuclear war will catch the heavens on fire over Israel and will burn off all around the world. This will make the sun 7 fold strength Isaiah 30:25-26, and the reflection off the moon will be as bright as the sun is today. That is why Jesus said except these days should be shortened there would be no life.

• Members

AV,

Isaiah is telling us what destroys the heavens in Isaiah 25. It is the blast of the terrible ones that blows against the wall and kills the strangers with a hot cloud. A nuclear war will catch the heavens on fire over Israel and will burn off all around the world. This will make the sun 7 fold strength Isaiah 30:25-26, and the reflection off the moon will be as bright as the sun is today. That is why Jesus said except these days should be shortened there would be no life.

While I agree that the LORD will roll up the heavens and HE will destroy the heavens with fervent heat,  I do not believe it is a result of mans atomic weapons used in a war. The Lord will not share his glory with another.  He does it and no other.  This will be a supernatural event that can't be blamed on man.

• Members

How does this verse fit into the heavens being destroyed? 

Rev 20:1 ¶ And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them

Remember if the heavens were destroyed during the Great Tribulation how do the heavens flee away from his face if they don't exist?

Does the Lord recreate them a second time for the kingdom then destroy them again later to make the heavens for a third time in Rev 21:1 ¶ And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. Oh Gosh that wont work first is followed by a second not a third.  So that wont work. 

Unless!

Unless you agree that there are three heavens.

Unless you agree that the verse in Isa have a double fulfillment.

And that you agree the first event only affects the first heaven (Atmosphere) and not the second heaven (Cosmos/universe).

• Members

How does this verse fit into the heavens being destroyed? 

Rev 20:1 ¶ And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them

Remember if the heavens were destroyed during the Great Tribulation how do the heavens flee away from his face if they don't exist?

Does the Lord recreate them a second time for the kingdom then destroy them again later to make the heavens for a third time in Rev 21:1 ¶ And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. Oh Gosh that wont work first is followed by a second not a third.  So that wont work. 

Unless!

Unless you agree that there are three heavens.

Unless you agree that the verse in Isa have a double fulfillment.

And that you agree the first event only affects the first heaven (Atmosphere) and not the second heaven (Cosmos/universe

AV,

The rolling up the heavens as a scroll is a thinning of the first heaven. Probably the ozone layer and hydrogen layer are burned because the sunshine will become 7 times stronger in the day of great slaughter Isaiah 30:25-26.

Jesus will remake the atmosphere for the kingdom age. See Isaiah 65:17-25.

After the kingdom age Satan and many men will revolt and God will send down fire from heaven and burn them Revelation 20:9. I don’t know if God also destroys the earth and heavens again or if Revelation 21:1 is referring to the remaking of earth before the kingdom age.

• Members

While I agree that the LORD will roll up the heavens and HE will destroy the heavens with fervent heat,  I do not believe it is a result of mans atomic weapons used in a war. The Lord will not share his glory with another.  He does it and no other.  This will be a supernatural event that can't be blamed on man.

God will use man to judge man.

Jeremiah 25:32-33

32 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Behold, evil shall go forth from nation to nation, and a great whirlwind shall be raised up from the coasts of the earth.

33And the slain of the LORD shall be at that day from one end of the earth even unto the other end of the earth: they shall not be lamented, neither gathered, nor buried; they shall be dung upon the ground.

Isaiah 26:11

11LORD, when thy hand is lifted up, they will not see: but they shall see, and be ashamed for their envy at the people; yea, the fire of thine enemies shall devour them.

• Members

We just went through Jer 25 in our family reading.  It is located with the end of the tribulation.  a lot of these scriptures have two part fulfillment.  the wine cup of the Lords fury is the cross reference to the book of revelation which connect it to the great tribulation of the time of Jacob's trouble.

My friend who is a staunch Preterist believes that Revelation has taken place in the past and there will be no rapture or tribulation only the coming of the kingdom.  He wont even honestly sit down and rightly divide with me to learn more about it.

I realize that God has used men in the past to punish Israel.  However, I believe because of man's propensity to believe in man, and to blame men for the calamities that befall men, God will make this last ultimate punishment all supernatural that is why he gives them over to a strong delusion.  It may not be a nuke or men's weapons that do it but an act of God without explanation to be found in the minds of men. But with mans rejection of God the delusion is what they will believe.

In the end there will be no fuel for rockets or missiles or for their tanks, ships and planes.  They wont have bullets left, and they will come up against Jerusalem drunk in the delusion with swords, spears and arrows on horses and on foot.  Only to meet the Lord of Lords, the king of kings in battle and to all be killed with a single word that proceeds out of his mouth.  Hard to believe that it takes only seven years to run the world out of resources to defend themselves.

Even so come Lord.

• Members

We just went through Jer 25 in our family reading.  It is located with the end of the tribulation.  a lot of these scriptures have two part fulfillment.  the wine cup of the Lords fury is the cross reference to the book of revelation which connect it to the great tribulation of the time of Jacob's trouble.

My friend who is a staunch Preterist believes that Revelation has taken place in the past and there will be no rapture or tribulation only the coming of the kingdom.  He wont even honestly sit down and rightly divide with me to learn more about it.

I realize that God has used men in the past to punish Israel.  However, I believe because of man's propensity to believe in man, and to blame men for the calamities that befall men, God will make this last ultimate punishment all supernatural that is why he gives them over to a strong delusion.  It may not be a nuke or men's weapons that do it but an act of God without explanation to be found in the minds of men. But with mans rejection of God the delusion is what they will believe.

In the end there will be no fuel for rockets or missiles or for their tanks, ships and planes.  They wont have bullets left, and they will come up against Jerusalem drunk in the delusion with swords, spears and arrows on horses and on foot.  Only to meet the Lord of Lords, the king of kings in battle and to all be killed with a single word that proceeds out of his mouth.  Hard to believe that it takes only seven years to run the world out of resources to defend themselves.

Even so come Lord.

Psalm 149:4-9

4For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.

5Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.

6Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;

7To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;

8To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;

9To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

At the time of Armageddon Jesus will give the command and it will be our honor to execute the heathen army of antichrist. Jesus word is the Sword of the Spirit.

• Members

I'm astonished - a straightforward reading is the prophetic rebuke to Judah before the Babylonian invasion.

As a staunch Preterist (partial) I partially agree with your friend. A straightforward reading of the opening chapter makes it very clear that the Revelation was given to John to share with contemporary fellow tribulation-suffering Christians. The book relates to the AD 70 destruction.

The texts used to support the so-called "rapture" actually refer to the resurrection & judgement when Jesus returns in glory.

The "great tribulation" happened in the run-up to AD 70, while the last of  "this generation" (that rejected its Messiah) survived.

Even so come Lord. Amen!

• Members

Psalm 149:4-9

4For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.

5Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.

6Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a two-edged sword in their hand;

7To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;

8To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;

9To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

At the time of Armageddon Jesus will give the command and it will be our honor to execute the heathen army of antichrist. Jesus word is the Sword of the Spirit.

I don't think you and I will do any execution of any heathen army.  the mouth and the hand in which the praise and the sword is in, is Israel's not the Body of Christ.  It may be poetry but the context is Israel, they are the Saints mentioned there and not you and I. 

You need to look at the uses of saints and who it applies too at different times.  Also how the term His People, the People and my people are almost always speaking of Israel.

It is very dangerous for us to take Israels mail and take it for ourselves.  Remember all scripture is for our learning but not all of it is for our application.

The sword of the spirit in Ephesians is the written Word of God.

• Members

I don't think you and I will do any execution of any heathen army.  the mouth and the hand in which the praise and the sword is in, is Israel's not the Body of Christ.  It may be poetry but the context is Israel, they are the Saints mentioned there and not you and I. 

You need to look at the uses of saints and who it applies too at different times.  Also how the term His People, the People and my people are almost always speaking of Israel.

It is very dangerous for us to take Israels mail and take it for ourselves.  Remember all scripture is for our learning but not all of it is for our application.

The sword of the spirit in Ephesians is the written Word of God.

When we come with Jesus and our two-edged swords we will save Israel.

Habakkuk 3:11-14

11The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, and at the shining of thy glittering spear.

12Thou didst march through the land in indignation, thou didst thresh the heathen in anger.

13Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, even for salvation with thine anointed; thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah.

14Thou didst strike through with his staves the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: their rejoicing was as to devour the poor secretly.

• Members

When we come with Jesus and our two-edged swords we will save Israel.

Habakkuk 3:11-14

11The sun and moon stood still in their habitation: at the light of thine arrows they went, and at the shining of thy glittering spear.

12Thou didst march through the land in indignation, thou didst thresh the heathen in anger.

13Thou wentest forth for the salvation of thy people, even for salvation with thine anointed; thou woundedst the head out of the house of the wicked, by discovering the foundation unto the neck. Selah.

14Thou didst strike through with his staves the head of his villages: they came out as a whirlwind to scatter me: their rejoicing was as to devour the poor secretly.

Interesting, how did you come to these conclusions?

Archived