• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

....the Power Of The Dog.......

heartstrings

• Members

I too love dogs and despite all that gross stuff you talk about, we don't get sick because of it.  

In my home, dogs are part of the family, we don't get rid of them if they have behavior issues, we just train them out of it with love and patience.  However, they are at the bottom of the totem pole and I would not, could not, spend a fortune on them at the vet like some people I know.

There's nothing more loyal on this earth than a man's dog or his Godly wife.

• Members

I grew up with hunting dogs and farm cats so I like both animals so long as they know their place and are in it.

Dogs that are not trained, with owners who allow them to bark all the time, run loose chasing people, making messes in others yards and causing trouble I don't like, but it's mostly the owners fault the dogs are that way.

I would never put a dog, or any other animal, above family or people in general.

If I lived in the country I would have one or more dogs but living in town and not hunting anymore I don't want a dog that has to be tied up or penned up most of the time.

• Members

Most favorable? Ones that can't bark Isaiah 56:10

The Bible says a greyhound is "comely in going"....

Isaiah 56:10His watchmen are blind: they are all ignorant, they are all dumb dogs, they cannot bark; sleeping, lying down, loving to slumber.   

Actually it sounds as if the non barking dogs are quite useless...being watchdogs and all they should be barking and doing their jobs, but prefer to sleep.  :ph34r::thofftobed7lpsl4:   :snooze: 

And yes, it was the greyhound, but not the ugly racetrack greyhound, the Persian Greyhound(Saluki).  :biggrin: 

• Members

I was making a joke out of the barkless dogs verse.....not joking about the verse but it would be nice sometimes to have a dog which can't bark. A couple nights ago my son's mini dachshund was barking at some toads which were doing their mating call thing out in the koi pond....right by the house. The next morning, my son caught the toads and moved them. I don't know if they got their eggs laid in the pond yet, but the last time I think the koi ate all the tadpoles anyway.

• Administrators

When we were keeping our granddogger, I worked on teaching her not to bark.  She is a Chihuahua/Min Pin mix.  They are not known for being quiet.  One day as I was walking her, she began barking crazily at someone in his yard.  He laughed and called her a tiger.  I told him I was working on teaching her not to bark. He laughed and said good luck.  Three days later, he was outside as we walked by.  Bella looked at him, growled a wee bit, but didn't bark at all. :icon_smile:  We allowed her to bark at strange noises in the house so she knew the difference between guarding and just making noise.  She really learned well. All I would have to do is quietly say no or just lightly touch her snout and she would quit barking.  Or even just say hush.

When I was younger, we had a dog that was a shepherd/pinscher mix.  He didn't bark at people.  One year, when we lived on our farm in WV, we had 3 dogs. Trico (the mix) Girlie (a mongrel), Ralph (Trico's son, had a shepherd mother).  Our front yard sloped down to the road.  We lived in an old farmhouse that had two bedrooms on the top floor.  Our bedroom had windows on the front and back of the house.  One night, I heard Girlie barking. I looked out the front windows.  Girlie was at the gate, barking at one of our friends who just got there.  Ralph was laying down on in the middle of the yard between the gate and house.  As the fellow walked by Ralph, Ralph got up barking a bit less than Girlie, but didn't move (Girlie had laid back down near the gate).  As the fellow went around the corner of the house, I saw Trico come out from the shadows of the house...I hurried over to the other windows and waited - saw the guy come around the back - with Trico still behind him. Not making a sound.  The guy got to the back door and knocked.  The light came one.  And then the guy realized that Trico was standing right behind him just looking at him.  About gave the guy a heart attack!  I laughed and laughed. It was the first time I saw their sentry bit.  It was kinda neat. I always felt pretty well protected while we had them.  :eye:

• Members

I was making a joke out of the barkless dogs verse.....not joking about the verse but it would be nice sometimes to have a dog which can't bark. A couple nights ago my son's mini dachshund was barking at some toads which were doing their mating call thing out in the koi pond....right by the house. The next morning, my son caught the toads and moved them. I don't know if they got their eggs laid in the pond yet, but the last time I think the koi ate all the tadpoles anyway.

Funny...

Cat_CatLaughingCoveringMouth_xlarge.jpeg

• Members

A friend of the family stopped by tonight and she had her little dog with her. She picked the dog up and held him close and the dog licked all over her face and neck.

The dogs I've had over the years I didn't allow to do that.

It was funny, the neighbors big yellow lab came charging across the street tonight barking and growling as if it were going to attack and as soon as I stepped where that dog could see me the barking stopped, the dog stopped, the head dropped and it slowly went back to its own yard.

• Members

heartstrings, there is a breed that doesn't bark. Can't recall off top of my head at moment. My cousin has one who lives in country. I think of all places to have a barking dog is in the country! I'm typing this with my little Shih Tzu laying next to me in bed. She's my little comforter that came at just the right time to help me thru my soon to be empty nest.

Yeah, dogs can be disgusting, but there dogs.

• Members

The Basenji doesn't bark, but they do yodel and scream. Go on youtube and look up Basenji scream. See if you can handle listening to that for just five seconds. 

My dog rarely barks, the only time she does is if she is alerting to someone entering the yard or out of excitement. She does talk like a husky when she's impatient. She loves to groan and complain in my ear if she thinks I'm driving to slow.....talk about a back seat driver!  :hsyft:

Edit: why would they have a Basenji in a zoo?! They're domesticated dogs! haha! 

• Members

Our little fufu dog talks.  She makes all kinds of little noises to be pet, picked up, let out and such, it's hilarious.  I've never known a dog that was so vocal before.  

My pal is a coonhound-lab mix and he doesn't bark much either.  He too makes funny sounds when my wife puts him up to it.  They are like little children, and have hilarious personalities.

Lulubelle the fufu dog likes to sleep in and only wants to go outside when she wants to or the weather is to the little princesses liking. If you tell her something she doesn't want to do, like a toddler, she'll turn her head away, avoid eye contact and attempt to slither away under the furniture.  If we raise our voice though, she'll usually submit and do what told.  Dasher will do just about anything you tell him, even #1 and #2 on command.  Unless he's acting as a pillow for the children, he's usually on my feet keeping them warm.

I thank God for giving us these loving creatures to teach us to be more like Christ.

• Members

The Basenji doesn't bark, but they do yodel and scream. Go on youtube and look up Basenji scream. See if you can handle listening to that for just five seconds. 

My dog rarely barks, the only time she does is if she is alerting to someone entering the yard or out of excitement. She does talk like a husky when she's impatient. She loves to groan and complain in my ear if she thinks I'm driving to slow.....talk about a back seat driver!  :hsyft:

Edit: why would they have a Basenji in a zoo?! They're domesticated dogs! haha! 

Sorry...

It was the "New Guinea Singing Dog"  (#23) http://www.zooworldpcb.net/zooworldanimals.html

Archived