• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is It True In Your Church That Under 10 Percent Of....

The Glory Land

• Members

I have said this before, but my church has about 60 adults in attendance.  Then, we have the babies, children and pre-teens.  There seems to be a core of people who do a lot of the work.  That would be the people from my family (my FIL is one of the two deacon's) and the pastor's family.  Unlike you, Suzy, Wednesday service is quite large.  PTL!  In fact, we are a small church and average more on Wednesday's than Cleveland Baptist, which is such a large church, that has sent out men to plant most of the churches in the area.  I love our Wednesday service b/c we have the nice library in the Lutheran church, where we do prayer and Bible study.  In the basement of the church, is where the rest of the church does Master's Club.  We pull in children whose parents are not saved.  They come mainly from my hometown, as my family brings them to Master's Club.  Sunday night services are lower, but that has always been typical in my church.  The core people work, however after discipleship class is over for the new members, my pastor does a good job to encourage new members to get involved.  We are growing and I praise the Lord all the time for that.     

• Members

I remember years ago if we missed a Sunday Service a brother or sister from the church would visit to see if we were sick or if we needed help. always praying with us when they came by.It's so sad that today in so many churches people could think less about visiting those whom have become sick , in need or just need some loving fellowship from their brothers and sisters.Yet many believe this is the pastors duty alone, how sad this is to lay more burden upon our pastor while rushing out the church doors to watch the ball game, the race or go out to eat dinner.  

If we cant love our brothers and sisters in our lord enough to visit them and pray for them in their needs, how can we then love the lost enough to be a good witness for the Lord Jesus, that they may receive His gift of salvation.

I devote many hours to my church and believe we should all do the same whatever it may be, but the above I have seen happen to many churches and it saddens my heart to see this happen when the church becomes cold for it's own people, how can it then be hot to reach the lost , if you've ever seen or been a part of a church on fire for the lord you know how God will increase that 10% to 100%  Amen

• Members

Glory Land, can you post in a thread without including digs at pastors?  My husband is a pastor, and he is the first guy at work days, and probably gets the dirtiest.    He also completely does all the church mowing himself all summer long.  (Except now my boys are learning).  He shovels the sidewalks in the winter.  If a toilet is clogged, he unclogs it.    Stop lumping all the pastors in an unsavory box.  I don't know what churches you've attended in your life, but they don't sound like any churches in this forum.

Bro Garry, I'm totally jealous of your church!   I really long for that type of church, but our church has had a troubled history, and never seems to be able to attain that type of spirit.   But we are here until God leads us elsewhere.  

• Members

Suzy, my church has had a "troubled history" as well.  It has been in existence since 1982.  It started in a house just like Cleveland Baptist did in 1958, in the city that I live in.  The first pastor passed on of cancer.  We went through so much when the church was in my hometown.  The  enormous RCC owns my hometown, and are quite successful in seeing other churches go down.  We never joined them in the Ecumenical Movement and they couldn't stand that.  It wasn't until recently that the church started to grow a  bit.  We have been in a different city for several years.  We don't have an actual church.  We move around from place to place like nomads, even though we have a huge chunk of property that is fully paid for in the city.  We just don't have money in our "Vision Fund" to build with.  We will be wandering around for 40 years in the wilderness.  LOL!  BTW, there are still people who visit and never come back.  Will you private message me with the name of your church?  I forgot it from the last time I was on OB.  I will pray for your church daily and also put it on our prayer list tonight at church.  I will continue to do that.  

• Members

Glory Land, can you post in a thread without including digs at pastors? My husband is a pastor, and he is the first guy at work days, and probably gets the dirtiest. He also completely does all the church mowing himself all summer long. (Except now my boys are learning). He shovels the sidewalks in the winter. If a toilet is clogged, he unclogs it. Stop lumping all the pastors in an unsavory box. I don't know what churches you've attended in your life, but they don't sound like any churches in this forum.

Bro Garry, I'm totally jealous of your church! I really long for that type of church, but our church has had a troubled history, and never seems to be able to attain that type of spirit. But we are here until God leads us elsewhere.

I am reaching out to the world, and not at you. God Bless America

• Administrators

you are of this world... :preggo:

Not necessarily. We are commanded not to be of the world.  We are in it, but not of it.

That said, how about posting something positive about pastors?  I know you enjoy getting a good discussion going, and that's great. But how about showing some compassion towards the pastor's wife's request and say some good things about pastors who are giving of themselves sacrificially in service of the God they love.  There are still many good pastors out there.  

• Members

Not necessarily. We are commanded not to be of the world.  We are in it, but not of it.

That said, how about posting something positive about pastors?  I know you enjoy getting a good discussion going, and that's great. But how about showing some compassion towards the pastor's wife's request and say some good things about pastors who are giving of themselves sacrificially in service of the God they love.  There are still many good pastors out there.  

True...   :preggo:  :preggo:

Archived