• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is It True In Your Church That Under 10 Percent Of....

The Glory Land

• Members

All the same members doing all the work. The same fue members doing all the volunteer work. Why? What can be done to change this? You pray for help, but they do not come.The faithful get burned out, just too tiered, falling behind at home. This happens over and over. The Mega churches hires people to do everything, is this right. To pay to have everything done in the church?

• Members

Because they do not see themselves as one body, as brothers and sisters in Christ.  Or they are too busy watching others and not the Lord.

However, if a church has enough funds what is wrong with paying for some things to be done?  Maybe it would be a blessing to a willing individual who needs extra money for bills and groceries.  Times are hard for many, including those who are serving the Lord.  Sometimes churches hold onto funds when it could be cast upon the water Ecc. 11:1.  Like a circle of blessing that would return to the church as well.

• Members

It's true in our church.  We have about 65 in church on Sunday (quite a few children, though)...and only about 18 on Sunday night and sometimes only 12-15 on Wednesday nights.  And 6 of that number is our family.

The problem we have is that we have all the more faithful people doing stuff...the rest of the people are very much Sunday morning only/baby Christians who don't have any interest past Sunday mornings.   And if they DO try coming to a night service, I imagine they look around at the empty spaces and feel stupid for even coming.  It's a terrible vicious cycle we can't seem to break around here.

We almost broke through that when we hired an assistant/youth pastor several years ago.  We were close to 100 on Sunday mornings. But he was young and started copping an attitude with my husband...and then he actually chased a couple of our families away...then he finally left.    

We've never really recovered from that.  :-(

• Moderators

And sady, eve those who DO do things, sometimes get tired and leave.

Of our few, we have just lost a husband and wife; he read each Sunday morning, doing a short sermonette. They were always faithful. But apparently the wife doesn;t like that I refer to the current 'tongues' as 'babbling tongues', and he doesn't like that I sometimes show videos, though the reason was to teach how to defend the faith against evolution, not to 'preach to the choir' and try to convince them of something they already believed.

So for these little things, they have decided to leave after 5 years. I offerred to go and explain why from the Bible, I believed what I do about tongues, they rejected it, and so, that's that.

• Members

We live in a very rural area and our church draws folks from about a 40 mile radius. Many of our members are not in a position to volunteer or help in a lot of things. I do know a lot of them if they were closer would be right in there helping. To their great credit, some do make extraordinary efforts to help in some area when they can.

That said, of those who live closer to our church we have a goodly number of folks who volunteer and help. Most have particular areas they help in most often, less in others; and we do have a few that seem to jump in and help with just about anything.

Just as not everyone is called to preach, not everyone is called to teach Sunday school, or stop by the church and help set up for something, or to be involved with VBS, etc. Thus far, the Lord has provided all that we need when it comes to volunteers, help and assistance, even when it's mostly the same people doing much of it. That in itself is a blessing.

• Members

At our church we have 70 almost all adults in Sunday school, 85 during Sunday service (kids services at a remote property because our church building is very small), 70 during Sunday evening, and then 70 during Wednesday service (I do the official counts since I sit in the back in the sound booth). We also average 35 for soul winning, and when we have a church work day or social, it is always well attended by greater than 50% of the congregation.  I think this has to do with the fact that our church is extremely stable.  We have had the same pastor for over 20 years. Our youth minister, associate pastor,5 of our Sunday school teachers, church secretary and treasurer, and song leader have all been in the church for over 20 years. I am a relative newbie in the church since I have only been there 12 years now, and have never been in a more loving and close knit family in my life.  You should see our potlucks!  I don't know if we are all trying to outdo each other, but no king has ever had a finer feast.  We truly have something very special at our church.   Whenever there is someone of ours in serious condition in a hospital with a life threatening issue and undergoing a surgery, the hospital has learned to be prepared for 30 or more members in the surgery waiting room, praying.

Bro. Garry

• Members

At our church we have 70 almost all adults in Sunday school, 85 during Sunday service (kids services at a remote property because our church building is very small), 70 during Sunday evening, and then 70 during Wednesday service (I do the official counts since I sit in the back in the sound booth). We also average 35 for soul winning, and when we have a church work day or social, it is always well attended by greater than 50% of the congregation. I think this has to do with the fact that our church is extremely stable. We have had the same pastor for over 20 years. Our youth minister, associate pastor,5 of our Sunday school teachers, church secretary and treasurer, and song leader have all been in the church for over 20 years. I am a relative newbie in the church since I have only been there 12 years now, and have never been in a more loving and close knit family in my life. You should see our potlucks! I don't know if we are all trying to outdo each other, but no king has ever had a finer feast. We truly have something very special at our church. Whenever there is someone of ours in serious condition in a hospital with a life threatening issue and undergoing a surgery, the hospital has learned to be prepared for 30 or more members in the surgery waiting room, praying.

Bro. Garry

Just checking, but does your pastor works with you guys on church work day. Many pastors don't get there hands dirty.

• Members

I will tell you a secret, the pastors that don't work or help have very soft hands. The next time you shake their hands, you will remember my words. :coffee2:

I have always been an office worker.
My hands are relatively soft.
I am always on the end of a shovel on work days.
I often run the grass trimmer.
I sweep our carpark with a big stiff bristle broom occasionally.
I fix the toilets.
I change the light bulbs.
I carry the ladder.

I don't ever remember any pastor at any church I've been to who sat down to drink coffee while everyone else worked.

Yes my hands are not rough normally - but they are blistered after a work day.

• Members

I have always been an office worker.
My hands are relatively soft.
I am always on the end of a shovel on work days.
I often run the grass trimmer.
I sweep our carpark with a big stiff bristle broom occasionally.
I fix the toilets.
I change the light bulbs.
I carry the ladder.

I don't ever remember any pastor at any church I've been to who sat down to drink coffee while everyone else worked.

Yes my hands are not rough normally - but they are blistered after a work day.

There are normal hands, sounds like you. Then there are the Palmolive hands.

6a00d83451ccbc69e201053610cea9970b-400wi

• Members

Soft hands would NOT be a description for my pastor who is an avid outdoors-man and tough as nails.  I think if you rub up next to him you would draw blood. Yes, he is always there working along side us, but it is soooooo weird seeing him not in a suit and tie.   Even his "work clothes" grubs are new, clean, pressed and high fashion.  We have the most incredible and hardest working associate pastor on the planet. He has unbelievable skills for artistic design and construction,  and a work ethic that is flawless.  What he is able to do in decorating our church for various "themes" we may have during the year is incredible. 

Bro. Garry

Archived