• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Storing Food And Supplies?

2bLikeJesus

• Members

This is a serious question seeking your thoughts and opinions.  I personally believe that while the church will be raptured out at the start of the great tribulation, BUT it is going to get really really ugly for us leading up to it. 

Matthew 24:37 (KJV

37  But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.  

The condition of man and the earth at that time was NOT pretty, and if it gets that bad again before Jesus comes and snatches us away, we better batten down the hatches.

I envision a day when we may have to have services in caves, or hidden homes, and have to take all sorts of precautions to reduce our tractability.  Yes, I know that bible principle is to "give us this day, our daily bread" and trust entirely on God to provide our needs.  This is why the Israelites were forbidden to gather mana for more than one day (except for Sabbath day), they were to trust God with their daily provision.  So it may be argued that I have weak faith because I have stored up food, water, and critical supplies that would last me for at least a year if need be.  Please be merciful and kind if you think I am a heretic for this practice, I am just trying to find out if I am alone in this thinking, and if not, is there any biblical principle that would allow for me being so careful.

If I am convinced that my hoarding of food and supplies is indeed a sin, then I will give it all away to a food shelter.

Bro. Garry

• Members

Luke 12:16 (KJV) 16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:

Luke 12:17 (KJV) 17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

Luke 12:18 (KJV) 18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

Luke 12:19 (KJV) 19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, [and] be merry.

Luke 12:20 (KJV) 20 But God said unto him, [Thou] fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

Luke 12:21 (KJV) 21 So [is] he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

In the above passage, a man wanted to store food. Question... What good does stored food do should the Lord call us home?

Is it wise to store great amounts of food, when there are people who cannot afford to purchase their next meal?

• Members

This is a serious question seeking your thoughts and opinions. I personally believe that while the church will be raptured out at the start of the great tribulation, BUT it is going to get really really ugly for us leading up to it.

Matthew 24:37 (KJV)
37 But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

The condition of man and the earth at that time was NOT pretty, and if it gets that bad again before Jesus comes and snatches us away, we better batten down the hatches.
I envision a day when we may have to have services in caves, or hidden homes, and have to take all sorts of precautions to reduce our tractability. Yes, I know that bible principle is to "give us this day, our daily bread" and trust entirely on God to provide our needs. This is why the Israelites were forbidden to gather mana for more than one day (except for Sabbath day), they were to trust God with their daily provision. So it may be argued that I have weak faith because I have stored up food, water, and critical supplies that would last me for at least a year if need be. Please be merciful and kind if you think I am a heretic for this practice, I am just trying to find out if I am alone in this thinking, and if not, is there any biblical principle that would allow for me being so careful.

If I am convinced that my hoarding of food and supplies is indeed a sin, then I will give it all away to a food shelter.

Bro. Garry

Your a smart man, there no problem doing this. The problem comes like in the day of Noah. Are you going to close the main gate to everyone that wants to survive? This supply will be good for and used in bad weather, like in a power failure. You will not need it for the End Time.

• Members

We always grow a nice garden. We can and freeze our own food and buy more at the supermarket. Our pantry has food in it, our freezers are usually full. But it has been that way for decades; just part of life on a farm. My youngest son, still living at home, has killed and butchered 5 deer this season. We presently have over 70 sheep, some turkeys and our horses could be butchered if it got down to that, But, again, that is just normal for a farm (except eating horses); we do not horde food. It would be pointless. If there ever is a famine or shortage, theft would take every bit of what you have. mark my words....unless you buried it out in the woods somewhere.

Just in this county alone, and many other Florida counties, there are thousands upon thousands of acres of arable land which is justsitting there in timber. it could all be used to grow food for thousands and no doubt there is enough in the US to grow extra food for millions more. Whether that would happen I don't know, but it wouldn't take very much land to feed a family if you know what you're doing.

• Members

Matt 24

36  But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

37  But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

38  For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,

39  And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

The overall context is end times, and it is definitely stated that life will be ugly but consider the closer context of vs 37.

No man will know the time.

As in the days of Noe (Noah).

The people were eating, drinking, marrying, giving in marriage.
These are normal parts of life - drinking Here does not carry the meaning of alcohol, giving in marriage does not mean divorce, but as in giving away your daughter to be married.
normal life.

then vs 39 says "and knew now until the flood came".

As in the days of Noe, in this passage does not mean increased wickedness, but normal life was going on and the flood took them by surprise - just as the "coming of the Son of man" shall do.

the wickedness is spoken of earlier in the chapter but the point of vs 37 is not that the world will be exceedingly wicked but that the coming of the Son of man will take everyone by surprise.

That the world will be wicked is true, but not the point of vs 37 - 39.

As for the hoarding - can't hurt to be prepared I guess - you never know what will happen to your own region before the Lord brings down the curtain.
(Not in a prophetic sense but in a world getting worse sense. ;) )

• Members

Matthew 6:25-34
25Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?

26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.

30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?

31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

I wouldn't worry about it.

• Members

you still have to restock your hoard every year or two. Even canned goods expire. canned goods, not sure how long good for.

But in fact if the seal is unbroken, most canned goods are still ok for consumption, pretty much regardless of age.
There are two reasons for the use by dates on items like that - to cover themselves from lawsuit in case of a problem, and; to make people throw stuff away and buy new stuff.

Look at army ration packs - some of it is old as the hills, but still good.

The canning process, assuming there are no errors, kills all the bacteria that makes stuff go off and seals it from contamination.

There are exceptions of course, but as a generalisation it holds true.

But I still don't eat stuff well out of date. ;)

• Administrators

Heh...good being relative to army rations. :-D Not rotten, but not tasty either. Lol.

2b - we are indeed to trust God for things. But that doesn't mean it is sin to prepare for possible disaster. That is exactly what God had Joseph do. And the ant is used as an example against the sluggard. If God gives people the ability and burden to prepare like that, they should do so. There is no telling how many people you might be able to help. And if offering a cup of cold water in Jesus' name brings blessing, so, too, will a plate of food.

• Moderators

I can't decide what I think on that. Common sense says to be prepared - farm style. :wink It certainly doesn't hurt to be more than prepared. However, as Christians, if hard times came we may have to be prepared to give it all to others if that's what God asks of us. Could be hard to do if we don't keep the right mindset in it all.

That being said - a year! Wow! What's your water situation like? Being stuck in an apartment limits me, but I'm working on a one-month supply tonight.

• Members

This is a serious question seeking your thoughts and opinions.  I personally believe that while the church will be raptured out at the start of the great tribulation, BUT it is going to get really really ugly for us leading up to it. 

Matthew 24:37 (KJV

37  But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.  

I envision a day when we may have to have services in caves, or hidden homes, and have to take all sorts of precautions to reduce our tractability.  Yes, I know that bible principle is to "give us this day, our daily bread" and trust entirely on God to provide our needs.  This is why the Israelites were forbidden to gather mana for more than one day (except for Sabbath day), they were to trust God with their daily provision.  So it may be argued that I have weak faith because I have stored up food, water, and critical supplies that would last me for at least a year if need be.  Please be merciful and kind if you think I am a heretic for this practice, I am just trying to find out if I am alone in this thinking, and if not, is there any biblical principle that would allow for me being so careful.

Bro. Garry

There are plenty of good reasons to "hoard" food and supplies that don't involve the end times. Especially if you live out in the sticks. 

Archived