• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Lets Talk About Pastors Children's

The Glory Land

• Members

I hope you all know, that they are not all called to be preachers. some are and some will turn into the World.This is not the pastor fault, if they reject the gospel and turn into the World. So stop focusing on them, their kids. God knows their heart, pray that they return soon. They will, Lord willing.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay I can agree with this one.  ;-)    Actually, honestly, these days I am thinking every kid should get a degree in something worthwhile, and then do Bible study on the side, and work under a pastor.  This way, he isn't bound to a church as his only source of income.  

During the 70s-90s I feel like "preacher boys" were pushed to do nothing but full time ministry.  However these days, SO many churches can NOT afford a full time pastor, and thus we have a lot of college-educated men struggling to feed their families because they paid for a college degree they now cannot use.

All four of my boys will, I hope, get a good trade/degree under their belts.   Whether or not God calls them to the ministry, only HE knows...but it is certainly not less spiritual to actually have some sort of "real degree".

Some of the best missionaries and pastors are those who actually had a career, then God called them out of the career.   They were already financially independent, so they were able to give more focus to the ministry instead of worrying about how to feed the family.

My husband was borderline in this...he had a military trade, which he was called out of to go into ministry...however, he was in electronics, which have GREATLY changed in the past 25 years or so....and so although he had a trade, I do not think he would have an easy time getting back into that today.  It concerns me a bit, but God knows best.

Just thoughts, I guess.   But yeah, I definitely agree that PKs should be expected to be no more, and no less, than any other kid in the church, and they should not be required to be some sort of "example" other than what any other Christian should be.

• Members

Okay I can agree with this one. ;-) Actually, honestly, these days I am thinking every kid should get a degree in something worthwhile, and then do Bible study on the side, and work under a pastor. This way, he isn't bound to a church as his only source of income.

During the 70s-90s I feel like "preacher boys" were pushed to do nothing but full time ministry. However these days, SO many churches can NOT afford a full time pastor, and thus we have a lot of college-educated men struggling to feed their families because they paid for a college degree they now cannot use.

All four of my boys will, I hope, get a good trade/degree under their belts. Whether or not God calls them to the ministry, only HE knows...but it is certainly not less spiritual to actually have some sort of "real degree".

Some of the best missionaries and pastors are those who actually had a career, then God called them out of the career. They were already financially independent, so they were able to give more focus to the ministry instead of worrying about how to feed the family.

My husband was borderline in this...he had a military trade, which he was called out of to go into ministry...however, he was in electronics, which have GREATLY changed in the past 25 years or so....and so although he had a trade, I do not think he would have an easy time getting back into that today. It concerns me a bit, but God knows best.

Just thoughts, I guess. But yeah, I definitely agree that PKs should be expected to be no more, and no less, than any other kid in the church, and they should not be required to be some sort of "example" other than what any other Christian should be.

Thank you for replying.

• Members

I hope you all know, that they are not all called to be preachers. some are and some will turn into the World.This is not the pastor fault, if they reject the gospel and turn into the World. So stop focusing on them, their kids. God knows their heart, pray that they return soon. They will, Lord willing.

Preachers and their families are human- just like all people..... including you and I.  That is why we look to God and not man, amen!

• Moderators

Okay I can agree with this one. ;-) Actually, honestly, these days I am thinking every kid should get a degree in something worthwhile, and then do Bible study on the side, and work under a pastor. This way, he isn't bound to a church as his only source of income.

During the 70s-90s I feel like "preacher boys" were pushed to do nothing but full time ministry. However these days, SO many churches can NOT afford a full time pastor, and thus we have a lot of college-educated men struggling to feed their families because they paid for a college degree they now cannot use.

All four of my boys will, I hope, get a good trade/degree under their belts. Whether or not God calls them to the ministry, only HE knows...but it is certainly not less spiritual to actually have some sort of "real degree".

Some of the best missionaries and pastors are those who actually had a career, then God called them out of the career. They were already financially independent, so they were able to give more focus to the ministry instead of worrying about how to feed the family.

My husband was borderline in this...he had a military trade, which he was called out of to go into ministry...however, he was in electronics, which have GREATLY changed in the past 25 years or so....and so although he had a trade, I do not think he would have an easy time getting back into that today. It concerns me a bit, but God knows best.

Just thoughts, I guess. But yeah, I definitely agree that PKs should be expected to be no more, and no less, than any other kid in the church, and they should not be required to be some sort of "example" other than what any other Christian should be.

That's pretty much what my pastor expects of his boys.

• Members

Sometimes people have unreasonable expectations of pastor's kids... They're just kids. It's the father who was called into the ministry, not their sons/daughters.

• Members

Probably the most unreasonable expectation put on PK's is that they will all be super spiritual and go into full time ministry.
God gives everyone different gifts and different skills and different talents, and calls everyone to different tasks - not everyone is supposed to be and eye otherwise where would be the hearing?

Unfortunately people have their expectations, reasonable or not.

I would rather my kids love the Lord with all their heart and mind and soul and work a secular job than that they "go into the ministry" to please men - even to please me.......

• Members

Sometimes people have unreasonable expectations of pastor's kids... They're just kids. It's the father who was called into the ministry, not their sons/daughters.

Along with what you said, I think that sometimes people look for reasons to gossip about Pastor and Mrs. P.  Misbehaving kids make for an easy subject.

• Members

Along with what you said, I think that sometimes people look for reasons to gossip about Pastor and Mrs. P.  Misbehaving kids make for an easy subject.

Yeah, unfortunately that does happen.

• Members

What do the scriptures teach about a Pastor's children?  Shouldn't he rule his house well and shouldn't they be in subjection to him?

A Pastor's child who is rebellious for a long time would no longer be qualified to pastor a New Testament Church.  Rebellious in this sense means disruptive and getting into trouble, not rejection of the Gospel.

• Members

But one thing which has to be understood by many is that one reason - and it is only one reason of many possibles - that PK could turn away is that child sees how their Pastor-father is treated by those to whom he pours out his life and heart.

I have seen just such happen - where a faithful pastor's son left when his father retired for health reasons. He had only stayed to be a support to his dad.
But in speaking with this man, one reason he left - the major reason - is that he saw no christian love extended to his mother and father while they ministered in that church.
this father did his best but it was not enough to overcome what this PK saw of people who called themselves christians.

This does not deny that some Pastors do not lead their families well, but it is not always as simple as it seems.

I also know of a family that is still paying for a pastor-father who led his family poorly. As far as I can see he has disqualified himself by it.
So there's both sides.....

• Administrators

And then there's the question of who decides what is too rebellious or what is actual rebellion. I've heard it preached that if the kids get involved in adultery, it's all over for the preacher. Then I've heard it preached if they do drugs, it's all over.  Then I've heard that if they don't attend the same church (or one just like it) the pastor is disqualified.  

Being disruptive and trouble making isn't necessarily disqualifying...what is disqualifying is how and even if the pastor deals with it.  It is a truth that some children are more hard headed than others, and could take years to form and mold.  I believe that if a child in the home becomes a whoremonger (or whore), drug addict, etc., then the pastor is disqualified because he has lost control of his household. 

I do agree that we do wrong when we try to force children to go into full time service.  All too often, kids are made to feel less than worthy if they don't go into full time service.

Archived