• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Per The Request Of Candlelight

• Members

We have Scripture that commands tithing to Levites, but not one single Scripture that states one is to tithe to a pastor, elder, or bishop of a New Testament Church.

We have Scripture that commands tithes of an agricultural content, but not one single Scripture that states one is to tithe his or her money to a New Testament Church.

When the Berean's of the first century heard preaching, they did not automatically accept it.  Nor did they immediately dismiss it as not being worthy to research.  No, the Word of God teaches us that they "searched the Scriptures daily, whether those things were so."  As those professing Christ today, we should be willing to do no less.

The young Timothy was instructed by the Apostle Paul to "study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the Word of Truth."  As Christians today, we should endeavor to study the Word in the same manner as instructed by the Apostle Paul.

That said, I encourage all to grab their Bibles and follow along as I present some Biblical truths concerning the tithes that God commanded, who He commanded them from, and how tithing was to be observed.

Hebrews 7:8 And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

Here, men that die receive tithes. Who are the men that die that receive tithes? The sons of Levi...

Hebrews 7:5 And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

But there He receiveth them. Receives what? Tithes. What tithes? The tithes that the sons of Levi receive of their brethren.

And what tithes do the sons of Levi receive? The tithes according to the Law.  What does the Law say concerning the tithes?

Leviticus 27:30-34 And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land, or of the fruit of the tree, is the LORD'S: it is holy unto the LORD. And if a man will at all redeem ought of his tithes, he shall add thereto the fifth part thereof. And concerning the tithe of the herd, or of the flock, even of whatsoever passeth under the rod, the tenth shall be holy unto the LORD. He shall not search whether it be good or bad, neither shall he change it: and if he change it at all, then both it and the change thereof shall be holy; it shall not be redeemed. These are the commandments, which the LORD commanded Moses for the children of Israel in mount Sinai.

1. They receive the tithes of the seed of the land. This is speaking of garden produce. Food for the sustenance of the workers of the Temple and for their sustenance at home as well.
2. They receive tithes of the fruit of the tree. This is speaking of that which grows on trees, such as pomegranates, dates and figs. Again, for the sustenance of the workers of the Temple and for their sustenance at home.
3. They receive tithes of the livestock in Israel. Animals born in the flocks and herds, were to be tithed from. Every tenth animal to pass under the counting rod.
4. They were to receive tithes of the children of Israel. God gave no command in His Word for peoples of Gentile nations to travel to Israel to tithe. Nor was there a command for peoples of Gentile nations to tithe once God gave the tithe to the Levites.

Numbers 18:24 But the tithes of the children of Israel, which they offer as an heave offering unto the LORD, I have given to the Levites to inherit: therefore I have said unto them, Among the children of Israel they shall have no inheritance.

Numbers 18:26 Thus speak unto the Levites, and say unto them, When ye take of the children of Israel the tithes which I have given you from them for your inheritance, then ye shall offer up an heave offering of it for the LORD, even a tenth part of the tithe.

Numbers 18:28 Thus ye also shall offer an heave offering unto the LORD of all your tithes, which ye receive of the children of Israel; and ye shall give thereof the LORD'S heave offering to Aaron the priest.

The tithes "according to the Law" were agricultural." There is no other type of tithe commanded in the Word of God.

Every single command concerning tithes in the Bible reveals that  the tithes were for those living in the land of Israel.The tithes "He receiveth" are the tithes "according to the Law"...agricultural tithes. He is not the one commanding or demanding the monetary tithe that men preach today. And yet, preachers will stand behind the sacred desk and tell their congregations that God requires tithes of them... monetary tithes.  If God requires monetary tithes, such a command should be in His Holy Word.  And yet, there is no such command therein.

Matthew 15:9 But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Is tithing an eternal moral principle as some people claim?  If so, then what is that principle?  Under the dispensation of the Law, God stated that His tithe was of crops and livestock only.  This means that not everyone was able to tithe.  A tentmaker, who raised no cattle, nor cultivated a garden, would not have been required to tithe.  One cannot tithe agricultural products if one does not have agricultural products to tithe.  Nor could a fisherman tithe.  His trade was not a land trade.  Brickmasons, artificers of brass, tax collectors, etc., none were required to tithe. 

The poor were exempt from tithing.  Instead, according to Deuteronomy 14:28-29, they were fed by the tithe.  Deuteronomy 14:22-29 reveal to the reader that the tither was supposed to eat his tithe with his family, his servants, and the Levites, widows, fatherless and strangers in Jerusalem.  Eat, not spend.  This is a truth that few preachers will have their congregations turn to, because it reveals that the tither was to partake of his tithe too.  Do these preachers give back to their congregations the "tithe" that they receive?  It is highly doubtful.

So ask yourself, where is the principle when not all were required to tithe?  Where is the principle when there are only four passages in the New Testament concerning tithing (Matthew 23:23; Luke 11:42; Luke 18:9-12; and Hebrews 7) and all those passages are referring to the tithe under the Law (an agricultural tithe) and a tithe before the Law that was voluntary? (tithes of the spoils of war; tithes of property that Abram would not even call his own) 

One would think, that the Apostle Paul would have mentioned tithing in at least his pastoral epistles.  And yet, he was completely silent on the matter when it came to instructing Titus and Timothy in matters of the Church and how it was to operate.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

An even simpler approach would be to look at the verses of Scripture which deal with Christian giving under the NT. Not a word of mention regarding a tithe. Christians are told to give, to give cheerfully, and not to give out of compulsion (a command to tithe is a compulsion). We have examples in Acts and the Epistles of NT giving and those examples say and show nothing of a tithe, but generous giving from cheerful hearts.

When Ananias and Sapphira sold their property and lied about their giving and Peter confronted them he made no mention of an obligation to tithe. Instead, Peter pointed out that when they sold their property the money was theirs to do with as they pleased. Their transgression was in lying for public approval.

If a Christian is following the Lord and seeking His guidance for giving, the Lord will lay it upon their heart as to what amount to give, when and where. We are called not only to give to our local congregation, but also to help those in our congregation who are needy, to help the poor, widows and orphans in our communities, to help supply missionaries and others of our brothers/sisters in Christ in need that we may be able to help.

• Members

From December 8th, 2013 to February 4th, 2014 I was in a theological debate on the topic of tithing.  Every scripture verse concerning the matter was exposited thoroughly during the debate.  Those teaching the tithe threw many verses into the debate that had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with tithing, but tried their best to twist them to mean tithe. 

LOL

• Members

All scripture is given by inspiration of God and is profitable...

10% is a good principle to follow (i.e. the tithe). It helps with being even and consistent in giving. Just because it's OT doesn't mean you toss it out.

Is it a NT command? That could be argued but there is nothing directly mentioned in the NT about it except the example of Abraham (prior to the law) and his giving. But then there aren't a lot of things directly mentioned in the NT that we take for granted today. Like drinking alcohol, tattoos, wedding ceremonies, instruments in church, etc.

This is an case of "let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind". (Romans 14:5). I still hold the position of "grace giving" YET at the same time the "tithe" (or 10%) giving is a good principle to follow in giving. Consistency is nice especially in helping the church pay the bills on time.

Reason's I've noticed from personal experience that NT Christians don't like the "tithe":

They are tightwads who hate to depart from their money. Many times rich folks are cheaper than poor folks when it comes to giving.

They don't like their pastor/treasurer and despise their authority thinking they could do it better if they had a chance.

They've been burned by a pastor or missionary before who spent the money on themselves instead of on the ministry of the Lord. This happened to my brother by a crooked missionary who instead of reaching the lost was living on a beach in the Caribbean drinking pina coladas.

They live on a limited income and feel they are being extorted by money grubbing pastors. 

They feel their pastor is living too much of the high life while they struggle and pine away. I attended a church like this one time. I still gave my 10% but found it hard to respect the pastor. I eventually left.

They are embarrassed that they don't have money to give. My mother is like this and she won't go to church if she doesn't have any money to give. I tell her over and over it doesn't matter but it's just the way she is.

• Members

By the way, a pastor friend of mine in Pennsylvania doesn't pass an offering plate around. There's a box in the back of his church where you drop the money in if you want to give. I'm not sure what his position on the "tithe" is but I've never heard him preach on Malachi. 3:8-12. His bills have been paid on time, they support missionaries and two years ago they were able to move into a larger building.

• Members

As I said, what is the principle? I don't see one. God never required all Israelites to tithe, only farmers and herders.

The Apostle Paul never taught this "principle" you speak of. Instead, he taught that we are to choose for ourselves what we wish to give.

2 Corinthians 9:7 (KJV) 7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

The word "purposeth" is translated from the Greek "proaireomai". It means, "to choose for oneself".

• Members

As I said, what is the principle? I don't see one. God never required all Israelites to tithe, only farmers and herders.

The Apostle Paul never taught this "principle" you speak of. Instead, he taught that we are to choose for ourselves what we wish to give.

2 Corinthians 9:7 (KJV) 7 Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, [so let him give]; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

The word "purposeth" is translated from the Greek "proaireomai". It means, "to choose for oneself".

A "principle" is a standard or rule to follow that helps you reach and maintain a certain goal.  If your goal is to be a consistent giver than the "tithe" is a good principle to follow. It doesn't mean it's law but it also doesn't mean it has to be directly taught. All scripture is giving to perfect the man of God in good works including the teaching on the OT tithe.

Yes, you should always give cheerfully but I'm not sure this doesn't mean you still shouldn't give at all (i.e. if you feel compelled to give without joy). The Lord prefers cheerful giving over that of begrudgingly but that shouldn't be an excuse for not giving.

• Members

If the Lord leads someone to give 10% that's fine, but that's not a biblical tithe, which was something specifically established by the Lord for OT Jews.

In my own case, the Lord has never directed me to give any certain percentage, but always leads me to give a specific amount.

The point is, are we going to follow Scripture, which indicates we are to follow the Lord's leading in our giving, or are we going to harken back to an OT Jewish specific law?

We shouldn't preach or command something for Christians that isn't true. As J. Vernon McGee told the man bragging about consistency in tithing while he knew those poor folks weren't tithing, the tithe was for the Jews and likely as not the Lord would have him to give more than that to make up for the lack of others, which is a NT principle.

Yet what really matters is what Scripture actually teaches. What we learn from the OT law of the tithe was that God expected His people to make provision for His temple, and other matters. That makes it clear that we as NT Christians, with Christ in our hearts, should be more than willing without compulsion to give abundantly as the Lord leads.

It doesn't matter if my giving amounts to 25%, the man down the street amounts to 5%, the man across town gives 38% and his neighbor gives 2%, so long as each is giving according to the leading of the Lord. Consistently obeying the leading of the Lord is the best consistency there is.

• Members

If the Lord leads someone to give 10% that's fine, but that's not a biblical tithe, which was something specifically established by the Lord for OT Jews.

I

If it's a principle in the bible and it doesn't contradict anything else in scripture than it is a biblical principle which was followed by Abraham before the law. If not the Lord would not lead one to give that way as you suggest. 

There's is nothing unscriptural for a born again Christian to give a tithe (i.e. follow a 10% mode of giving). No more unscriptural than following II Chronicles 7:14. Your lack of giving because you don't feel cheerful doesn't mean you aren't robbing God and hurting your church.

• Members

The tithe wasn't a principle, it was a command, a command given to the Jews. The principle that can be drawn from that is God expects us to provide for certain things; which things are expounded upon in the NT for us; where Christians are told to give without compulsion and to give cheerfully.

• Members

The tithe wasn't a principle, it was a command, a command given to the Jews. The principle that can be drawn from that is God expects us to provide for certain things; which things are expounded upon in the NT for us; where Christians are told to give without compulsion and to give cheerfully.

John, it's an OT commend that can still be applied in principle to the NT.

Here's another example:

Duet. 24:5- Thou shalt not muzzle the ox when he treadeth out the corn.

I Cor. 9:9-10

[8] Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also?

[9] For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen?
[10] Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope.

A law to the Jews in the OT is now being applied in principle (or as a spiritual application) to the NT church.

Again:

Duet 22:10- Thou shalt not plow with an ox and an ass together.

II Cor. 6:14-  Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

This is the point I'm trying to make. If you don't give your are still, in essence, robbing from God. So put a smile on your heart and give.

And again, Abraham, who tithed, was BEFORE the law.

• Members

Abram did not tithe because of a command of God.

Nor did he tithe his own possessions, assets or incomes.

The British museum has on display, stone tablets dating back 287 years prior to Abram's tithe. These tablets reveal that Babylonians practiced tithing of spoils of war to their kings and deities. This is important to consider, since Abram was Babylonia. He was from Ur, a region of ancient Babylon. Abram may have given that war spoil because of the ancient practice of his people.

Archived