• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastors That Don't Drop There Offering At Giving Time?

The Glory Land

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Assuming that a pastor doesn't give just because you might not see him place something in the plate is just that: assumption. As Christians, aren't we supposed to not do that?

This reminds me in a heath class, I was talt not to smoke because of the risks. At the end of the day I seen him, my teacher smoking... :(

• Members

Assuming that a pastor doesn't give just because you might not see him place something in the plate is just that: assumption.  As Christians, aren't we supposed to not do that?

I was taught to never compare myself to other Christians.  The pastor is another Christian, except he has a leadership position being the under-shepherd of the flock.  I was taught, early on, to compare myself to the Lord Jesus Christ, b/c I will always fall short.  I have to remind myself of that sometimes.  The flesh is weak.

• Administrators

I seen in the past not now, that pastors don't give at the offering time. Or If there is a special offering for a missionary,guess singer,  and speaker. They will ask for a special offering for this person, but they them self don't give. Could they think that it is the job of the members only to give?

I'm more concerned about whether I'm pleasing God in my giving than whether someone else is.

• Members

I'm more concerned about whether I'm pleasing God in my giving than whether someone else is.

I agree BroMatt.  That is what my husband and I do.  As the oldest in his family, he has always been the leader.  Especially spiritually.  He has five brothers.  A couple of his brothers have talked about the evangelist that led me to Christ.  The church took up a collection, years ago to buy him a car, so that he could take the gospel to IFB churches in other states.  One of my husband's brothers was concerned that the church gave this evangelist too much.  My husband spoke up and told him he should be more concerned about himself than another Christian.  The conversation ended right there.

• Members

I never miss giving my tithe (if you give a tithe you have actually "given" NOTHING, but simply obeyed God's word), and also my offering (missions, special, bus ministry, etc.) BUT I do it through my bank directly to the church account.  No one ever sees me put an offering in the plate.  The only one in the church who knows I tithe is the church secretary and treasurer.  I don't believe in "sounding the trumpets" to be seen of men with my giving.  

Matthew 6:1-2 (KJV)
1  Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Maybe these Pastors you are blasting without knowledge are following this simple principle.

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power.  For His glory

• Members

I never miss giving my tithe (if you give a tithe you have actually "given" NOTHING, but simply obeyed God's word), and also my offering (missions, special, bus ministry, etc.) BUT I do it through my bank directly to the church account.  No one ever sees me put an offering in the plate.  The only one in the church who knows I tithe is the church secretary and treasurer.  I don't believe in "sounding the trumpets" to be seen of men with my giving.  

1  Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.
2  Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Maybe these Pastors you are blasting without knowledge are following this simple principle.

Bro. Garry

If everyone did this, gave this way. there would be no need of an offering during any church services?

• Members

For the record, I do believe that Pastoral Staff does need to set an example, but that is NOT an excuse for me to disobey God. I'm an accountable for my own actions

Amen.  That is a requirement of people in leadership positions.  However, all Christians should obey God and be accountable for their own actions.  We need to stop worrying about what another brother or sister is doing and focus on ourselves.  

• Members

Bro. Garry

I like this idea, Brother Garry.  The scriptures go hand in hand with what you are doing.

Years ago, there was a woman in my church, who lived down south growing up.  They had a little wooden box in the back of the her IFB church, to put money and offerings in.  She said it worked quite well, and it didn't draw attention to who was giving when the plate was passed around.  It was very private, between that person and the Lord. 

• Members

Amen.  That is a requirement of people in leadership positions.  However, all Christians should obey God and be accountable for their own actions.  We need to stop worrying about what another brother or sister is doing and focus on ourselves.  

True, but we are living in trouble times, where the Saints are slipping and are in need of correction. This is for the better only. Who am I to correct anyone?  I am Just a nobody, the mist coming out of the kettle, you can only see for a short time..

• Members

True, but we are living in trouble times, where the Saints are slipping and are in need of correction. This is for the better only. Who am I to correct anyone?  I am Just a nobody, the mist coming out of the kettle, you can only see for a short time..

True, TGL.  That is why the leaders in the church need to set an example for the rest of us.  I have never had a problem with this though.  And, yes we are all wretched sinners.  Saved sinners, but still sinners.

Archived