• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Why Do Some People Have To Have The Last Word?

DaveW

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

See what I mean?

You lot have only posted to make sure you get the last word.
I have no such psychological hangup.

At least I don't think I do......

:lol:

• Members

I have no desire to have the last word on any thread - I want to provoke thoughtful consideration - & even, "thanks - you've explained that so clearly from the Scriptures that I have changed my position."

• Members

Usually, with having the last word, it is a defense mechanism that people have.  I know it is with me.  I am constantly reminded by my mother's words while I was growing up, "Don't try to get in the last word, you don't need to defend yourself."  My second oldest brother was/is quite abusive with his words.  Growing up he constantly backed me into a corner.  I felt I needed to have the last word to defend myself.

Sometimes, I have slipped up including here on Online Baptist.  The last time was a huge lesson for me.  I don't need to have the last word.  What does it matter, anyway?

You have explained it very well, Convenanter.  It is truly more Christian to just leave it alone and not get into "vain babblings."

• Members

Yessss dear. :)

TGL, that is one of my husband's favorite phases.  He says it jokingly in front of other people.  We can be in a store, talking about what to buy, and he will mutter those words with a very meek voice.  People think he is being serious b/c he says it with such a straight face.  I used to get embarrassed when he said it, now I go along with his game.  It is funny b/c he is so far from being a "Yes dear" husband.   :)

Archived