• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Repent Of The Mark?

• Members

On September 24th 1980, John MacArthur of "Grace To You" was in a question and answer session.  During the course of that Q&A, John MacArthur made the following statement:

Now, the question is, if you're living in the Tribulation period, and you take this mark, in other words, you identify with the beast's empire, will you still be able to be redeemed? And I think the answer to that is yes. Yes, otherwise there would be no salvation of anybody in the end of the Tribulation; and you've got to have the salvation of folks in the end of the Tribulation. You're gonna have the Jews redeemed. You're gonna have, according to Revelation chapter 7, "An innumerable number of Gentiles redeemed, so many they can't even be counted across the face of the earth." So I don't think the fact that someone takes that is a sentence to...to permanency anymore than you being a part of this world system once in your life means you have to be a part of the system all your life. Well, especially when 144,000 don't start their ministry till the second half.

(see http://www.gty.org/resources/sermons/1301-I/bible-questions-and-answers-part-11?term=Questions%20and%20Answers%20Part%2011 )

Now, I have heard many people say John MacArthur "publically repented of the statement that one could take the mark of the beast and still be saved.  Yet, to this date, I have found no proof that he has.

As a matter of fact, on October 30th 2013, Phil Johnson of "Grace To You" made the following statement:

This whole issue suddenly became a matter of intense controversy when it was mentioned on a provocative radio program. It’s certainly not worth all the ink that has been wasted and all the bandwidth that has been consumed by angry people demanding explanations and retractions. This much should certainly be clear from the biblical text (and I think would be affirmed by all sides): Taking the mark of the Beast is high treason against Christ and will be judged by God accordingly. Meanwhile, the Lord is “good, and ready to forgive, and abundant in lovingkindness to all who call upon [Him]” (Psalm 86:5).

(see http://www.gty.org/blog/B131030?term=Unforgiveable )

Phil states that it is a waste of time and ink to demand retractions.  In other words, there will be no retraction.  Obviously, Grace To You still holds that one can repent of taking the mark of the beast and be saved.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The last two sentences of Phil Johnston's article makes it clear that though one takes the mark of the Beast, it is "high treason against Christ and will be judged by God accordingly"...MEANWHILE...the Lord will forgive someone for doing so if they ask him.

Revelation 14:9-10
9   And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,
10   The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

I see no caveat, no get out of jail free card, no stipulation of "oops", no "unless you repent of taking the mark"...I see nothing but the plain wording of Almighty God saying that IF anyone takes the mark, they are doomed to the wrath of God.

...and God doesn't lie.

• Members

"whose names were not written in the Book of Life from the foundation of the world"  Rev 17:8

Like those nephilim that were not pure human, those who receive the mark will be "altered" human beings,

and thus not eligible for salvation "from the foundation of the world".  Humans can currently have

non-human genes "spliced" into their genomes (it is just not legal to do so... yet).  Genetically

modified crops and animals are commonplace today.

the Book of Life (was opened) and the dead were judged out of those things written in the Book  Rev. 20:12b

God cannot send to hell any human that has lived on earth without them being judged from the Book of Life.

The NAMES of those who take the mark of the Beast were NEVER written in the Book to begin with, so

they NEVER were eligible for SALVATION "from the foundation of the world" (ie: Jesus did not die for them).

• Members

Yes I believe that any who repent will be saved.

John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

• Members

Leaving aside the nuttiness of "altered humans", which sounds like something right out of an anti-biblical History Channel program; if the common belief of pre-mil tribulation period are true, it's very clear that once one accepts the mark of the beast they have made an eternal decision. If they carry the mark, they are marked for life, their hearts are hardened and will remain so.

Part of this growing trend to find a way to get everyone into heaven seems to be stemming from the "Left Behind" madness (and those who follow that pattern) which proclaims those who had opportunity to be saved prior to the tribulation but refused will (after the tribulation) suddenly be convicted, remember the opportunities they had before, and then be born again. As we see in the "Left Behind" books and movies (and those like them), they feature those who rejected Christ, those who sat in churches being worldly Christians, even those who were worldly pastors, suddenly having soft hearts so they get saved.

Considering the pre-mil rapture beliefs have been "evolving" over the past several decades to appease the masses, and the hysterical portion of that group have cried wolf for decades, is it really any wonder many today are rejecting this teaching or at least becoming very jaded toward it?

• Moderators

There are more than one requirement here to consider, and I believe its for a reason:

And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. (Rev 14:11)

And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, (14:9)

I always believe the Bible speaks exactly what it means. Here we see what appears to be three requirements for eternal consequences: Receive the mark of the beast, worship the beast AND his image.   Now, I'm not saying that one tempt God and take the mark, but NOT worship the beast, or any combination thereof, but I believe that there needs to be an intention here, one of purposeful rejection of God and Jesus Christ, and intentional worship toward the beast.

Let me clarify: There are many who believe that the mark of the beast will be possibly the implantable microchip-while I see merit in this for numerous reasons, I don't necessarily ascribe to it myself, but it could be, or it could be a precursor to it. But if it IS something like that, its very possible that some will be implanted without their consent, or that the mark itself, be it the chip or something else, may be given to some against their will, possibly to babies at birth, as I have heard there is some intention with the microchip, or some who have already taken it, or may take what will be the mark, with only an intention of perhaps making their life easier in some way, more convenient, for shopping and the like. Some have already willingly taken the microchip because they foolishly believe that it will improve their life, its the wave of the future whatever, but there is no rejection of God in it. If it IS the mark, are they doomed for taking it? And if the mark comes along and is initially introduced as something more benign, some may take it ignorantly, with no rebellious intention. Will they, then, be forever cast away with no hope of repentance?

So what I believe is that there HAS to be intention behind it, because one believes the beast to be God, because they are willingly rejecting any other god/God, and are knowingly receiving the mark of this new 'messiah' with the intention of worshiping him and his image.  A package deal, if you will-receive the mark, worship the beast and worship his image-willful rebellion.

• Members

John, the Rapture of the saints will take place after chapter 4 of the Book of Revelation.  Ukelelemike, used the verses for the Mark of the Beast and they occur in Revelation 14.  It is highly doubtful that saints will receive the mark, due to the fact they have been taken out of the world already.

"And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand," ~ Revelation 14:9

"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name." ~  Revelation 14:11

• Members

Is it not said there will be many who come to Christ during the tribulation?

I am not disputing that, John.  What I am saying is that the Mark of the Beast won't happen until Chapter 14 of the Book of Revelation.  The believers will have already been taken out of the world, after Revelation 4.  There is no chance that any born again believer will take the mark.

• Moderators

John, the Rapture of the saints will take place after chapter 4 of the Book of Revelation.  Ukelelemike, used the verses for the Mark of the Beast and they occur in Revelation 14.  It is highly doubtful that saints will receive the mark, due to the fact they have been taken out of the world already.

"And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand," ~ Revelation 14:9

"And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name." ~  Revelation 14:11

Then who is the Bible speaking of in Rev 13:7 where it says, "And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations."  Who are the 'saints'?  Someone here is saved, either of those who remained after a pre-trib rapture, or the same saints as are here now have not yet gone up.  

However, I don't believe ANY saints will tae the mark and worship the beast, because we are saved by the blood of Jesus Christ, and we cannot be lost. And if one did, I don't believe they could be lost, still, because the rules don't suddenly change here-once saved, always saved. So wither we cannot take it, or we won't take it. And I do believe the saints will remain on earth during the tribulation, but be removed prior to the outpouring of God's wrath. The only place I can clearly see any sort of rapture of God's people is in Rev 14:14-16, which takes place immediately prior to the poutpouring of the wrath of God.

Archived