• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

What Does King James Only Really Means?

• Members

To me, King James only means, I only read the King James Bible, I only read books that use the KJ scripture as references, I only listen to preachers who use the KJ and if I hear the phrase "this is better translated as"  I get up and leave.

• Moderators

Not going to get into a drawn out discussion, but:

KJV (English)

RVG (Spanish) (though I do have an 1865 revision of the 1602)

Luther (German)

Synodal (Russian)

keep the bricks in your hand and save them for another day.

• Members

Not going to get into a drawn out discussion, but:

KJV (English)
RVG (Spanish) (though I do have an 1865 revision of the 1602)
Luther (German)
Synodal (Russian)

keep the bricks in your hand and save them for another day.

With bricks you can hurt someone. I through my KJ at someone, the soft cover one. :)

• Members

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, the whole world didn't know Hebrew.  The New Testament was given to the Jews and the Gentiles in the Greek.  The whole world didn't know Greek but it was the universal language of the day.  Then the Lord chose to preserve His Word in the English and did so in the King James Bible.  The English is the universal language of the world today.

So, if you want God's Word in your native tongue, should it be translated from the Received Text or from the King James Bible?

• Members

The Old Testament was written in Hebrew, the whole world didn't know Hebrew. The New Testament was given to the Jews and the Gentiles in the Greek. The whole world didn't know Greek but it was the universal language of the day. Then the Lord chose to preserve His Word in the English and did so in the King James Bible. The English is the universal language of the world today.

So, if you want God's Word in your native tongue, should it be translated from the Received Text or from the King James Bible.

Today we must say, The Original KJ version.

• Members

Today we must say, The Original KJ version.

I think that might be confusing, TGL, as there are no originals.  It might be better to say the KJV 1611 (Authorized Version) or just KJ (Authorized Version).  

At least that is what I say to people before they look for a Bible.  I don't want them to be confused with the NKJV.

• Members

I simply refer to the KJB. I don't use dates because that can lead to confusion as I've known some who went out to by a KJV 1611 and that's just what they got and they were unable to read it at all.

Most of us are using a 1700s edition of the KJB but that typically doesn't need to be addressed. Simply saying "King James Bible" will suffice.

For myself, I only use the KJB because the Lord directly said to, not by audible voice, but by His Spirit telling me directly just as clear as day.

Archived