• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can God Do Anything?

Donillo

• Members

churches that hold to cessationism actually cause members to doubt that god Will do anything and their prayers are careful not to ask the impossible. . In James 5 it says "the prayer of faith..." etc. .
My opinion is that being dogmatic on doctrine tends to ignore scriptures that don't fit a particular doctrine. Or some scriptures that hint to the supernatural are explained away. I further believe that Calvinism is at the root. Take for example prophesying. I read on this site that the term had changed from foretelling to forth telling. Now I never heard this before and would like to know how this happened??? Is this in the bible?? According to the law of first mention, the redefinition of the word prophesy would violate this law, wouldn't it?? First mention for the word prophecy has to do with foretelling so you violate this law by redefining the word to forth telling. By creating laws for bible study you render the bible ineffective, after all god's thoughts are not our thoughts and to think that anyone has figured out a system to understand the bible is an affront to god himself. He has given the holy spirit so that even the simplest person can be edified reading the word.

• Members

In the interliner, one of the definitions of the word prophesy is,

to break forth under sudden impulse in lofty discourse or praise of the divine counsels
under like prompting, to teach, refute, reprove, admonish, comfort others

Prophesying can be teaching the Word through refutatuion of false teachings, rebuking false teachers, admonishing people to walk in the ways of the Lord, even in the comforting of others can one prophesy.

• Members

Sorry to sidetrack...

I understand this "law" or "rule" of first mention, and I can see where it has merit...but who decided upon this law? I find nothing in the Bible that says to go back to the first time something is mentioned and let that be what defines something.

I'm not opposed to this "law", but it just seems like something unnecessary to me.  Context seems more important in my view.

Okay, back to the topic...

• Members

Sorry to sidetrack...

I understand this "law" or "rule" of first mention, and I can see where it has merit...but who decided upon this law? I find nothing in the Bible that says to go back to the first time something is mentioned and let that be what defines something.

I'm not opposed to this "law", but it just seems like something unnecessary to me.  Context seems more important in my view.

Okay, back to the topic...

I've often thought about this too but the "law" seems to have merit. Maybe the law is based upon presumption that God would be consistent in how words are used in his book. Especially if we are to discern truth by comparing "scripture with scripture. I mean, where is it said in the bible that church doctrine can only be based on scripture (sola scriptura)? We take this position on faith that it's a foregone conclusion.

• Members

I've often thought about this too but the "law" seems to have merit. Maybe the law is based upon presumption that God would be consistent in how words are used in his book. Especially if we are to discern truth by comparing "scripture with scripture. I mean, where is it said in the bible that church doctrine can only be based on scripture (sola scriptura)? We take this position on faith that it's a foregone conclusion.

Well, I'm just glad the Bible gives physical descriptions for each of the arks mentioned; otherwise, according to the law of first mention, baby Moses would have been sent down the river in a huge ship, and the Levites would've had a rough go of carrying that ship around.   :nuts:

• Members

In the interliner, one of the definitions of the word prophesy is,

to break forth under sudden impulse in lofty discourse or praise of the divine counsels
under like prompting, to teach, refute, reprove, admonish, comfort others

Prophesying can be teaching the Word through refutatuion of false teachings, rebuking false teachers, admonishing people to walk in the ways of the Lord, even in the comforting of others can one prophesy.

The word in English simply means "to speak". A "prophet" was someone who spoke for God usually by foretelling some event God was going to perform or in revealing and interpreting God's will. 

We have a book that will do all this for us today.

• Members

Well, I'm just glad the Bible gives physical descriptions for each of the arks mentioned; otherwise, according to the law of first mention, baby Moses would have been sent down the river in a huge ship, and the Levites would've had a rough go of carrying that ship around.   :nuts:

An "ark" doesn't mean "huge ship" in the English language. It simply means a "box" or "chest". It is always associated with someone escaping wrath.  So a link can be made from Noah's ark, the ark Moses was placed in and the ark of the Covenant. I think this is where the law of first mention apples, i.e. that an ark throughout the bible is a place to escape wrath.

• Members

"Can God Do Anything?"

"Is any thing too hard for the LORD?  At the time appointed I will return unto thee, according to the time of life, and Sarah shall have as son." ~ Genesis 18:14

"THEN Job answered the LORD, and said, 2 I know that thou canst do every thing, and that no thought can be withholden from thee." ~ Job 42:1-2

"Ah LORD GOD!  behold, thou hast made the heaven and the earth by thy great power and stretched out arm, and there is nothing too hard for thee:  (hid from thee)." ~ Jeremiah 32:17

"Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh:  is there any thing too hard for me?" ~ Jeremiah 32:27 

"But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible." ~ Matthew 19:26

"And Jesus looking upon them saith, With men it is impossible, but not with God:  for with God all things are possible." ~ Mark 10:27

"For with God nothing shall be impossible." ~ Luke 1:37

"And he said, 
The things which are impossible with men are possible with God." ~ Luke 18:27

"And I heard as it were the voice of a great multitude, and as the voice of many waters, and as the voice of mighty thunderings, saying, Al-le-lu'-ia for the Lord God omnipotent reigneth." ~ Revelation 19:6
-------------------------------------------------------------------

As we have heard, God will say, "yes"... "no".... or "wait" to His children.

Archived