• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Wicked Hollywood Christ...son Of Sin

Daniel Rush

• Members

What might the reaction be if some Christians gathered at the theaters showing these movies passing out Gospel tracts? What if some street preachers proclaimed the Gospel nearby?

I think a better approach would be to bring it up at work and talk to people face to face and tell them your opinion on the movie. People here don't like dissenting opinions; people going into a theater would be turned off by the same. But if somebody they knew said to them,"Did you see Son of God"?...

• Members

Why should someone be turned off if they heard a street preacher presenting the Gospel or if someone handed them a Gospel tract?

I'm not talking about a Westboro type protest.

When I do hear folks talking about these sort of movies there are often opportunities to share the truth with them.

• Members

I'm not talking about a Westboro type protest.

Unfortunately, that is the kind I have seen around here. 

When I do hear folks talking about these sort of movies there are often opportunities to share the truth with them.

And that's what I was talking about, using these opportunities to share the Gospel. 

• Members

Why should someone be turned off if they heard a street preacher presenting the Gospel or if someone handed them a Gospel tract?

To us it wouldn't be, but how many saved people you know came to Christ through a street preaching ministry? i'm sure there a few but i believe more people are won by God using people they know or who are part of their community they live in.

Street preachers usually come across as crass and boorish to begin with. And our society usually doesn't tolerate that to begin with.

• Administrators

I know a few churches who went to the theaters in their town that were showing the Passion of Christ.  They didn't go to see the movie, but to pass out tracts.  Several of them were out there after the movie, and those tracts went like hotcakes.  I could see the same being true with this movie.

We don't go to the theater at all, but might be open to viewing the movie on dvd just for discussion purpose.  We didn't see the tv series, but our son did and he was able to discuss biblical truths with some people who had seen it. His wife has a relative who is basically agnostic who watched it with our son and he was able to point out some real truths to the young man.  Not saying I want to watch the movie, but it could be used as a tool.

• Members

I know a few churches who went to the theaters in their town that were showing the Passion of Christ. They didn't go to see the movie, but to pass out tracts. Several of them were out there after the movie, and those tracts went like hotcakes. I could see the same being true with this movie.

We don't go to the theater at all, but might be open to viewing the movie on dvd just for discussion purpose. We didn't see the tv series, but our son did and he was able to discuss biblical truths with some people who had seen it. His wife has a relative who is basically agnostic who watched it with our son and he was able to point out some real truths to the young man. Not saying I want to watch the movie, but it could be used as a tool.

Great point LuAnne, this could be a real good conversation starter and get people, at least, talking about things of Christ. I did see the other night previews for "Noah". Might go see it, don't know yet. When my wife go out on date nights, we usually don't want to go see a movie, we rather go out and eat and hang out,at least I can talk her into seeing Noah.

• Moderators

I may watch both movies on DVD when released, primarily for, as has been said, discussion purposes. Though one thing I saw in the Noah trailer that I liked was the fountains of the deep being broken up, and from the science of that, how they depicted it looks pretty sound. Why do I find that important? Because most know about 40 days and nights of rain, and nothing more, and wonder how could even that much rain flood the earth? Well, it was also the fountains of the deep breaking up. So That's at least a positive step and for a movie, of course, it makes for great visuals, so I'm glad they at least used it.

• Members

This from my Geology professor, who I am quite sure as an Agnostic had no intention of validating anything in the Bible.  If only 3% of the water present and locked within the earths crust, in aquifers and porous rock, were brought to the surface, it would flood the earth to the top of Mt. Everest.  He was very put out when I thanked him for validating the biblical account of the flood.   :bleh:

Bro. Garry

• Members

While this is going on there is also the even more biblically challenged "Bible movie", called Noah. Regardless of "Noah" taking great leaps of "artistic liberty" and the fact the key biblical message of the story of Noah and the flood is not put forth, yet many Christians and pastors are endorsing the movie.

Tens of the thousands of Christians across America will flock to "Son of God" and "Noah" sending the message to Hollywood that so long as a movie can claim a biblical theme, it doesn't have to actually be biblical, in fact the movie can greatly distort the biblical truth, and yet millions will flock to it and pay big money to see it.

What might the reaction be if some Christians gathered at the theaters showing these movies passing out Gospel tracts? What if some street preachers proclaimed the Gospel nearby?

Yeah, "Noah" is supposed to be an Al Gore type movie. God is destroying the earth because of environmental reasons. Also, the garden of Eden and all that was just a dream or hallucination suffered by Noah. Anyone who knows anything of the director should have known that he would have mangled the story of Noah. Every movie he makes has some kind of hallucinatory or dream sequence in it.

Archived