• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Is Birth Control Ok With Jesus?

• Members

My wife and I have been struggling.  Many people I know use birth control and profess that is not a sin.  My question is, as I dive in further to the Bible, it seems very evident that God has commanded us to procriate.  How is it ok to use birth control if God is supposed to be in control?

• Members

Wow...I can't wait for responses on this one.  I have tried to study this out before, and became more confused than ever but believe if my wife's last child hadn't literally destroyed her uterus we would have had much more than 4 children without some kind of birth control.  I know some will say that what happened to her physically WAS God's birth control in rendering her barren after the 4th (actually 5th, we lost one to a late term miscarriage resulting in a still born) child.  I have not been able to find anything in the word of God that I can reasonably use to argue for or against this subject.  I pray this will become a good discussion and learning post, and doesn't degrade into a slugfest like some of the other posts.  PLEASE lets be respectful of others opinions on this one.  It is a VERY important question and I really would like a well reasoned and hopefully well supported by scripture answer.  

Bro. Garry

• Members

That confuses me even more, and this is why.  First, I am NOT a doctor, so I don't even pretend to know what I am talking about medically, I am only saying what I have heard, right or wrong.  I have heard many things on how birth control pills work, and maybe different ones work in different ways.  Here are the responses I have heard:

1.  That the pill prevents the uterine wall from accepting the fertilized egg and the (I believe, baby) is passed through during a woman's normal cycle.  Much like an IUD does.   If this is true, then I don't see it as being anything but a very early term abortion.

2.  That the pill prevents ovulation of an egg or destroys the egg long before fertilization.  If this is true, then I can't argue that there has been a baby aborted because there has been no conception.

Are there more than one type of pill?  If number 2 is true, then how can I stand against it on the grounds of abortion?  

Being from a family FILLED to overflowing with RCC members, this topic is REALLY important to me.

Bro. Garry

• Moderators

Good topic and yes, no easy answers.

Interestingly, we never see the command to 'be fruitful and multiply" given in the NT. Not sure why. But there it is.

I have always, (sort-of) seen having children as a stewardship issue. Should we just keep having babies without concern as to whether we can properly care for them? Or do we procreate like bunnies with no thought, just trusting in God to see to the needs of our 20 children?  I know there was some famous show about a Christian couple with a mess of kids but big surprise, they made money from their reality show!

So, do we just have babies and assume the Lord will stop us when He is ready for us, or do we apply some control to the process?

First, let's answer a misconception, (no pun intended). "The Pill" as we have come to know it, does not kill a baby-in fact, it manipulates the hormones to keep the woman from becoming pregnant, so it is, indeed, control, not abortion. However, being that it manipulates the hormones, it causes all sort of health problems for the womn, so should not be used.

The 'Abortion Pill', as it is called, RU-486, is an actual abortion pill, that causes the death of the fetus. This is murder, not control, any more than a bullet to the head.

Of course, there are prophylactics, which do have a failure rate, but are harmless and reasonably effective, as well as others. BUt again, the point is, is it okay? Is it sin? Abd again, I think we need to consider that scripture gives us no real answer. and in this day and age, as we see evil growing more and more, and that day to be soon upon us, and the government control of al aspects of life, less and less would I desire to bring another child into this wicked place. But that's me.

this is a question each couple needs to prayerfully decide for themselves before the Lord. Yes, children are a blessing the Bible says, but it also says, concerning the end days, "But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people." (Luke 21:23). Maybe, as we see the evil approaching, even more we need to consider, is this the right time for children?

• Members

Abstinence would be the best control if couples do not want children.

If both are in agreement, there would be no problem with abstinence.  If one does not agree to abstinence, then consideration and wisdom would apply.

"Be fruitful and multiply" is not in the New Testament, true.  But we do see the instruction not to provoke our children to wrath, to teach them godly morals, etc..  So the fact that we are to teach our children shows God wants us to have children... if possible.

As to God supplying for our offspring, did He not say to cast our cares on Him?  Is He not our provider?  I would say faith would come into play here.  Faith that God will provide where we can't.

• Members

We are into grandchildren now - after 6 babies in 10 years. (9 grandchildren + 2 step-grandchildren)

We used the so-called "rhythm method" except after our second baby - our only girl - died suddenly at 3 months. Breast feeding was probably more effective than the "method." Our babies arrived at just over 2 year intervals.

After the sixth, my wife was fitted with an IUD.

this is a question each couple needs to prayerfully decide for themselves before the Lord. Yes, children are a blessing the Bible says, but it also says, concerning the end days, "But woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this people." (Luke 21:23). Maybe, as we see the evil approaching, even more we need to consider, is this the right time for children?

Should we now be refraining from marriage & childr-bearing? In the last 2 years we have been thrilled by two of our boys who delayed marriage until their 40s, & who have been delighted with their babies, now just turned one. I remember a newspaper "prophecy" for the coming 50s decade -

Young couples will continue to fall in love & get married, & delight in the miracle that is called "a baby."

I haven't heard ANY pastoral calls for couples not to marry, even when preaching through 1 Cor. 7. In context, Jesus was warning the women of Jerusalem about the AD 70 destruction he had prophesied a day or so before. Paul also wrote:

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; forbidding to marry .....

• Members

Scripture is rather clear that we are to trust God in all things and Scripture gives evidence that it is God who is to control the womb, not us.

We are also told that children are a blessing from the Lord so why would we want to block God from blessing us?

Birth control pills do cause abortions, which is murder, and clearly a sin.

If we believe we can trust God with our eternal destiny, why wouldn't we believe we can trust God to give us the exact number of children He determines is perfect for us in His will?

• Members

God wants us to have children... if possible.

Really? I'm in my 30s and have never had any desire or intention to get married and have children. Is this wrong?

Don't worry about answering this at the mo if it will take the thread too off-topic...

• Members

Really? I'm in my 30s and have never had any desire or intention to get married and have children. Is this wrong?

Don't worry about answering this at the mo if it will take the thread too off-topic...

no he never said that all have to marry so if you don't want to don't 

• Members

In response to Ukelemike, The Pill, prevents the fertilized egg (baby) from attaching to the uterus and growing into a full term baby. If you believe life begins at conception, when the egg is fertilized, then yes, you are interfering with God's plan for that baby.

• Members

I think there are forms of birth control (as outlined above) that are without doubt not allowed by God.
Any form that stops a conceived child growing to birth is wrong.

Those stop the actual conception I do not see quite so clearly.

Abstinence is a form of birth control.
Timing is a form of birth control.
Barriers are a form of birth control.

You see I don't think planning your family is in itself wrong.
I think there are many reasons that can come into play with family planning.
Some of those reasons are not honouring to God, some are.

• Members

My wife and I have six children which are our greatest blessing 'My wife had cancer when she was nine years old "Praise God for healing her" when we got married she went to her doctor and he told her that she couldn't take birth control because she had once had cancer. two years later our first child was born. each one of our children are about 2 years apart . when our last child was born the doctors told her that she had to have her tubes tied because of health conditions with her kidneys and it would be life treating if she had another baby we both struggled with this for a long time but are thankful for the blessings God has given us.

I've not studied in the bible about birth control and have no advice other then to seek God in prayer and he will answer you. I'll be praying brother      

Archived