• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can We Reclaim This Dress Standard?

WVPastor

• Members

For the record, pants are the most uncomfortable, confining, awkward garments ever - thus decided me the second-last time I went skiing!  I now cannot figure out why women ever fought to wear them...

Why exactly is a man trying to tell us women how we think, anyways? Methinks someone is treading on thin ice... :bleh: 

There is nothing worse torture than pantyhose or tights.   Whoever invented control top pantyhose ought to be forced to wear them, in a size too small, for the rest of their lives!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have heard many a girl or women talk about how cute guys butts look in a pair of jeans.  Just saying.

(no, I have never been one to join that kind of talk! )

• Members

There is nothing worse torture than pantyhose or tights.   Whoever invented control top pantyhose ought to be forced to wear them, in a size too small, for the rest of their lives!

I agree kitagrl.  I buy leggings to wear in the winter, underneath my skirts.  You can find them in the sporting section of the store.  Target has an assortment of them.  I wear a pair of socks, then put my  boots on over them.  They are certainly a lot more comfortable to wear that pantyhose.  Even without the control top ones, they are very uncomfortable.  I spent 18 years teaching, wearing pantyhose, and the first thing I wanted to do was come home and put on my sweatpants in the evening.  

I would also like to make a comment about women wearing dresses and skirts.  During my first two years of teaching, I taught in a Parochial school.  The principal was a nun.  She said women had to wear a dress or a skirt to teach.  This was not an option.  I didn't dare wear slacks.   I carried this into the inner city where I taught for the remaining 16 years.  I was brought up to look proper in public.  I must ask if this is a standard or if this is legalism?  The Orthodox Jews wear skirts and dresses in public, as well.  I am not trying to start a debate.  I seriously would like to know.

BTW, the only time I dress down is at home.  I wear sweatpants b/c I workout at home.  If they are too tight, I wear loose fitting shorts over them.  When I am in public, I look respectable.  Skirts are just the norm for me.  

• Moderators

I would also like to make a comment about women wearing dresses and skirts.  During my first two years of teaching, I taught in a Parochial school.  The principal was a nun.  She said women had to wear a dress or a skirt to teach.  This was not an option.  I didn't dare wear slacks.   I carried this into the inner city where I taught for the remaining 16 years.  I was brought up to look proper in public.  I must ask if this is a standard or if this is legalism?  The Orthodox Jews wear skirts and dresses in public, as well.  I am not trying to start a debate.  I seriously would like to know.

Looking proper in public isn't a standard or legalism, IMO. It's called having respect for yourself and those around you. :wink

• Members

Looking proper in public isn't a standard or legalism, IMO. It's called having respect for yourself and those around you. :wink

I agree, Salyan.  I was raised that way.  Glad to know that the RCC had something right.   :D  Although, there has been such a decline over the years in the RCC.  When I lived down the street from the huge RCC church in my hometown, I would see women go to church with short shorts, and tattoos all over their body.   :smilie_loco:4   And, this was 20 years ago.    

• Administrators

And all of this proves my point....the "progress" that pilgrim mentioned is the reason so many on hear can claim that they know that women lust in the same way men do.

When biblical principles were followed, by and large women did not lust after sex.  As was mentioned, the majority of women wanted (and still do, they just don't really realize it, because of all the brainwashing done by the media) love and affection. And security.  Women are wired differently, and that is something that men can't seem to understand at times (yes, I know all the "jokes" about never understanding women...).  And one of those differences is the outlook of sex.

As "freedom" was pushed, beginning in the '50s, the outlook on many things began to change.  Sex became a focal point of advertising just about anything.  And the "freedom" from constraints included encouraging women to become sexual beings - sexual predators, if you will.

The world equates sex with love, and all medium have pushed that idea for decades.  The "free love" era of the '60s, combined with the feminist movement began to alter the way women responded to stimuli. But that response is really mostly verbal.  There are exceptions, and there always have been.  

A good example would be a young girl and boy are "seeing" each other.  She enjoys cuddling - affection, to a woman, spells love.  But he wants more.  And so what does he say?  "If you love me, you'll..."  And so she does - because she believes he loves her and that is why he wants what he wants.

I know that women are aggressive nowadays.  But it is not because women lust after the same things men do. It is because of the way the world has gone. Crudity and vulgarity is de riguer, even among women.  The "free love" movement, coupled with the feminist movement gave women the "freedom" to be as gross as men in their language and their actions.  The 50s laid the groundwork for it, and the 60s caused it to explode...

Yes, some women throughout the years have been known to seem to lust in the same way men have.  But I guarantee that deep down what they really wanted was love, affection, and security.  Even today, women will trade sex for that...not realizing that isn't what they get.

~~~

So, don't preach against women wearing pants. That's your business.  But don't preach against men wearing skirts, either, then.  Warning about the link: there is a cuss word in the article, and there are men in miniskirts...this is from men's fashion week this past January. Just lovely.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/london-mens-fashion-week-2013-1529721

~~~~~~

Just out of curiosity, where in the Bible are men told to be modest?  I'm not saying they shouldn't have a care in their clothing choice, but does God really tell men to be modest?  

• Members

Thanks, HC, I didn't know any of that. That article is being sarcastic btw--the point is that no-one on the street is going to be wearing what was shown at the fashion show. I cannot imagine men ever putting on skirts and dresses; why on earth would they?

• Members

Between 1989 and 1999, I worked in a sewing factory as a forklift operator and while there I had women try to proposition me. Two women at different times, in their flirting, insisted on putting their hands on me and when I told them both flat out "keep your hands off me", one just stopped but the other cried about it.  :puzzled3:  But some were more subtle like the one who came to my supply room one night and while we were alone, out of the blue, she starts telling me some junk about "men are promiscuous but afraid and insecure" . Really? and she was telling me this why?

Proverbs 7:

10 And, behold, there met him a woman with the attire of an harlot, and subtil of heart.

11 (She is loud and stubborn; her feet abide not in her house:

12 Now is she without, now in the streets, and lieth in wait at every corner.)

Genesis 39:

And Joseph was a goodly person, and well favoured. 7And it came to pass after these things, that his master's wife cast her eyes upon Joseph; and she said, Lie with me.8But he refused, and said unto his master's wife, Behold, my master wotteth not whatis with me in the house, and he hath committed all that he hath to my hand; 9There isnone greater in this house than I; neither hath he kept back any thing from me but thee, because thou art his wife: how then can I do this great wickedness, and sin against God? 10And it came to pass, as she spake to Joseph day by day, that he hearkened not unto her, to lie by her, or to be with her. 11And it came to pass about this time, thatJoseph went into the house to do his business; and there was none of the men of the house there within. 12And she caught him by his garment, saying, Lie with me: and he left his garment in her hand, and fled, and got him out.

Were the above woman (from how many thousand years ago?) after "love"? Joseph was "well favoured" and "she cast her eyes upon him". I'm assuming she was lusting after his looks? Yep. And why was our pastor's son's fiance wearing that skin tight striped dress to church yesterday? Because it was the diametric opposite to "modest apparel" and, quite frankly,"the attire of an harlot".  :hide:  When a man and a woman were caught in adultery, the woman was stoned too. And not all men are just after "sex". Some. like Joseph, leave their coats and run, because they prefer love better.

• Administrators

Thanks, HC, I didn't know any of that. That article is being sarcastic btw--the point is that no-one on the street is going to be wearing what was shown at the fashion show. I cannot imagine men ever putting on skirts and dresses; why on earth would they?

Yw. A lot of men don't understand that - and having been a woman growing up in the "free love" feminist era, I do. (well, at least about women. LOL....what I know about men I learned from my hubby  :smug:  - growing up with brothers helped some, but not like being married has)

I know the article is sarcastic (some of those things he saw were really laughable...the guys with wood over their faces?  Wow!).  But the fashion show was real.  There is a line of men's skirts/dresses.  And has been for a long time.  Check out this blog: http://www.theskirtedman.eu/  He explains quite well why he wants to wear women's clothes.  Gender equality means both sexes wearing whatever style of clothing they want to.  It is a definite movement, Carl. Just as the movement in America and the UK for women to wear pants was.

It is an attempt to blend the genders...

heart - those women weren't after love - they were after a man.  You.  Why? Probably because they saw you were a decent man, and that is what they wanted.  Yes, they tried to push the sexual button, because that's what they'd been taught to do as good feminists.  Not because that's what they wanted, but because that was the way they were taught to "catch" a man.  Once caught, then there would be security, hopefully love and affection would grow.  Honestly, I can almost guarantee that was their motive (the crying woman especially...).

As to the young girl:  proof that this vein of thought has invaded churches...

(and please note, I did say not all women...I said there were exceptions and always have been)

Nor did I say that all men are after sex!  I would totally agree that there are decent men who know love is best...I'm married to one!  :clapping:

• Administrators

Did you ever wear ban the bomb earrings, HC, even once?

Ban the bomb earrings?  No.  When I was growing up, we weren't allowed to have the peace sign as any decoration.  Although I wore slacks growing up, my mom wouldn't even let us girls wear jeans.  No hippie-related stuff for us.  (That's what the peace sign and jeans on women were associated with on the west coast when I was growing up)  In fact, I didn't wear earrings at all until I was 18.

• Members

Yw. A lot of men don't understand that - and having been a woman growing up in the "free love" feminist era, I do. (well, at least about women. LOL....what I know about men I learned from my hubby  :smug:  - growing up with brothers helped some, but not like being married has)

I know the article is sarcastic (some of those things he saw were really laughable...the guys with wood over their faces?  Wow!).  But the fashion show was real.  There is a line of men's skirts/dresses.  And has been for a long time.  Check out this blog: http://www.theskirtedman.eu/  He explains quite well why he wants to wear women's clothes.  Gender equality means both sexes wearing whatever style of clothing they want to.  It is a definite movement, Carl. Just as the movement in America and the UK for women to wear pants.

It is an attempt to blend the genders...

heart - those women weren't after love - they were after a man.  You.  Why? Probably because they saw you were a decent man, and that is what they wanted.  Yes, they tried to push the sexual button, because that's what they'd been taught to do as good feminists.  Not because that's what they wanted, but because that was the way they were taught to "catch" a man.  Once caught, then there would be security, hopefully love and affection would grow.  Honestly, I can almost guarantee that was their motive (the crying woman especially...).

As to the young girl:  proof that this vein of thought has invaded churches...

(and please note, I did say not all women...I said there were exceptions and always have been)

Nor did I say that all men are after sex!  I would totally agree that there are decent men who know love is best...I'm married to one!  :clapping:

If I had to wear the dress, I'd take the wood over my face :D

• Members

What about a headband? Or a headscarf.

I wasn't exposed to all that as I was born in 1980.

Point taken about the skirts on men stuff, btw. In fact, I now recall that when I worked in a lab in the 1990s, a chap turned up to work in a 'sarong'. Was sent home again.

Archived