• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can We Reclaim This Dress Standard?

WVPastor

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Ah, yes, but there is no comma after adorn to indicate that it is simply talking about good works - the statement of adorning is inclusive of modest apparel.

1Ti 2:8-10
8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sOBriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;
10 But (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works.

"In like manner" tells us that the subject is not clothing....

The only admonition we have about men's and women's clothing, is in the Law, and it is to :not cross-dress.

"Modest" means "not costly", anyway, which is repeated in the next phrase.

Anishinaabe

• Members

Apparel is clothing........
The other things in the list relate to physical appearance.
Modest, not flashy.

More to do with pride vs humility, as displayed by outwards appearance.

• Members

So, is a woman more Godly if she respects her husband, takes care of her children, active for Christ in her community but wears jeans, earrings and jewelry, and highlights in her hair?, rather than a woman who argues constantly with her husband, disrespects him and the local assembly of believers and wears long dresses, no make up?

• Members

Scripture doesn't call women or men to OBey only part of the Word or to only surrender themselves to the Lord in certain areas, but to fully surrender self and live as Scripture indicates.

As we read in 1 Corinthians 13, if we do all sorts of otherwise good things but we don't do them in love, they are as nothing. Elsewhere we are told that if we love the Lord, we will keep His commandments.

We are not to pick and choose, rather we are to seek to follow the Lord fully. We are to do ALL things as unto the Lord.

• Members

Scripture doesn't call women or men to OBey only part of the Word or to only surrender themselves to the Lord in certain areas, but to fully surrender self and live as Scripture indicates.

As we read in 1 Corinthians 13, if we do all sorts of otherwise good things but we don't do them in love, they are as nothing. Elsewhere we are told that if we love the Lord, we will keep His commandments.

We are not to pick and choose, rather we are to seek to follow the Lord fully. We are to do ALL things as unto the Lord.

so which of the two women I described is more Godly?

• Members

You gave an incomparable scenario lacking in information.

In the first, we don't the woman's motivation for what she does (love, duty, pride, etc.). We also don't know what sort of jeans she is wearing or why and how. We don't know the nature of the earrings, jewelry, hair highlights or the motivation behind these.

In the second, the action descriptions clearly indicate a woman not conducting herself in accord with Scripture. As to her dress and make-up, we don't know her motivation for these.

• Members

You gave an incomparable scenario lacking in information.

In the first, we don't the woman's motivation for what she does (love, duty, pride, etc.). We also don't know what sort of jeans she is wearing or why and how. We don't know the nature of the earrings, jewelry, hair highlights or the motivation behind these.

Her husband likes her in those clothes and likes her to get "dolled up", you know, skinny mom-jeans

In the second, the action descriptions clearly indicate a woman not conducting herself in accord with Scripture. As to her dress and make-up, we don't know her motivation for these.

This woman thinks she is pleasing God with her dress, but hear heart is angry towards her husband and her children and her bitterness is manifested in how she acts/treats towards them

• Members

Her husband likes her in those clothes and likes her to get "dolled up", you know, skinny mom-jeans

This woman thinks she is pleasing God with her dress, but hear heart is angry towards her husband and her children and her bitterness is manifested in how she acts/treats towards them

One is an abomination, a cross-dresser.
One is ignoring the apparel of women professing godliness...good works.

Anishinaabe

• Members

So, is a woman more Godly if she respects her husband, takes care of her children, active for Christ in her community but wears jeans, earrings and jewelry, and highlights in her hair?, rather than a woman who argues constantly with her husband, disrespects him and the local assembly of believers and wears long dresses, no make up?

I understand what you are saying, Jeffrey.  Unfortunately there are women like you describe in your second sentence, in the church.  I have seen it happen with a couple of women in my church.  Women like this do not allow their husbands to lead the home.  Although, I must say that no one knows what goes on behind closed doors.  Maybe, these women appeared tough b/c their husbands lacked spiritual leadership.  I dunno.  

While I support wearing my Sunday best to church, I have never and will never tell a woman what to wear to service.  However, if they look like a street walker, I will gently let them know they should dress more modestly.  I worked the bus ministry and homeless ministry for 4 years in an IFB church.  Many of the women simply did not have dresses or skirts to wear to church.  A few of them asked me if I could gather nice clothes for them to wear, but many did not.  In that situation, I would be an example for them.  Leading by example is what worked in my situation.

Archived