• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Can We Reclaim This Dress Standard?

WVPastor

• Moderators

One of the differences pertaining to America with regards to pants is, yes some women did wear pants prior to the 20th century, mostly for comfort and practicality, but in the mid-20th century some women began wearing pants (including pant suits) as a means of expressing their radical feminism. They were purposefully trying to stir trouble by the style of pants they wore, how they wore them and the attitude they proclaimed in them. This greatly tainted the whole issue, much as hippies wearing beards in the 60s had the effect of seeing many churches and pastors denouncing beards as of the devil to the point of not allowing pastors to have beards and requiring male church members to be clean shaven!

I always wondered where that no beards thing came from. Seems to me beards are more biblical than the lack thereof.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

One of the differences pertaining to America with regards to pants is, yes some women did wear pants prior to the 20th century, mostly for comfort and practicality, but in the mid-20th century some women began wearing pants (including pant suits) as a means of expressing their radical feminism. They were purposefully trying to stir trouble by the style of pants they wore, how they wore them and the attitude they proclaimed in them. This greatly tainted the whole issue, much as hippies wearing beards in the 60s had the effect of seeing many churches and pastors denouncing beards as of the devil to the point of not allowing pastors to have beards and requiring male church members to be clean shaven!

I agree with you John. Most of the pants wearing of recent days was a result of feminism. I'm not against pants on women and I think a woman wearing a dress in certain situations is not only ridiculous but even immodest but at the same time I think Christian women should wear a dress as much as possible. Especially to church.

• Members

I always wondered where that no beards thing came from. Seems to me beards are more biblical than the lack thereof.

I read it had something to do with World War I. Men had to be clean shaven in order to wear the gas masks. After the "war to end all wars" (hardy har har)  it became a fad. I wear a beard sometimes throughout winter but it does become hard to keep clean and itches like crazy.

• Members

I've wore a beard for about 30 years, from close cut to rather long and I've never had a problem keeping it clear or with it itching. I typically wash my beard with the same shampoo I wash my hair with and that's worked very well for me.

• Members

I've wore a beard for about 30 years, from close cut to rather long and I've never had a problem keeping it clear or with it itching. I typically wash my beard with the same shampoo I wash my hair with and that's worked very well for me.

I sweat like a hog. I think it's because of my asthma medicine I take so my beard gets dirty and itchy quickly. When I drove OTR truck I got really bad. ha ha. I looked like Animal from the Muppets. 

• Members

I sweat like a hog. I think it's because of my asthma medicine I take so my beard gets dirty and itchy quickly. When I drove OTR truck I got really bad. ha ha. I looked like Animal from the Muppets. 

That's funny!

For some reason I sweat a lot too. I think washing my beard with shampoo really makes a big difference. I mostly wear a close cut beard these days so that makes it not much trouble too.

• Administrators

Interestingly, while clean-shaven became vogue after the war, pants on women became vogue.  Both linked to the war, actually.  But after the feminist movement took hold, men began wearing beards again (in the '70s and forward). One of my college professors was talking about it (he was bearded) and told us that was a backlash to the feminist movement - the underlying thought to the movement was that women could do anything a man could do.  Except grow a beard.   :ROFL:

• Members

Interestingly, while clean-shaven became vogue after the war, pants on women became vogue.  Both linked to the war, actually.  But after the feminist movement took hold, men began wearing beards again (in the '70s and forward). One of my college professors was talking about it (he was bearded) and told us that was a backlash to the feminist movement - the underlying thought to the movement was that women could do anything a man could do.  Except grow a beard.   :ROFL:

You are probably right but a lot of hippies wore beards and they seemed to be a by product of the feminist movement or at least went hand in hand with feminists. Seems to me that the beards of the 70's were a sign of rebellion against "the old man" who was clean shaven and had short hair.

Anyways, beards are once again frowned upon even though a study shows that men with beards are viewed as more trustworthy. 

It seems to be that a lot of women today want men to look boyish in their appearance. This could have something to do with many of today's women wanting "house husbands" or "Mr. Moms" (or the new term, "pajama boys") in the home.

IMO though, the man of the house should wear, or not wear, what pleases his wife.

• Members

My husband has worn a goatee, but with his line of work his skin also becomes itchy.  I really like it.  It makes him look older.  And, because I am almost six years older than he is, it makes me feel better.  :)

• Members

It has become increasingly difficult to actually prove from the Bible that "pants on women are wrong".  You can teach modesty, and you can make an argument that most pants are not as modest as skirts.  On the other hand, in our area, most Baptists wear pants on their own time.  At a local IFB church we are very familiar with...they have a "rule" about wearing skirts in youth group for activities, but the skirts are so tight and above the knee and honestly may just as well be pants...pants would cover more.  I do not think the "cross dressing" argument can any longer be made in our society (especially in light of men moving towards skirts, probably within the next ten years.)   So really the main argument that is valid from Scripture is the part about being modest.

My husband and I have discussed this at length...I was raised wearing pants (as a Christian) and I gave them up at college, but it has become an increasingly difficult struggle for me, especially in the winter, as probably 98% of all the IFBs in our area (Philly suburbs) wear pants on their own time.    It is wearisome to be one of the only "odd women out", honestly--and honestly, men do not have to face that in their lives.  It is easy for them to make rules they do not have to follow.   It is easy for them to say "I don't want men looking at your crotch" so instead the men wonder why you're wearing a skirt when it's ten degrees outside.  LOL.  (That was just me saying that, I realize it's not Biblical and I'm not advocating that argument.  Just a FYI.)

WITH that said.... my husband will state that the main problem he has with women wearing pants is the crotch/butt area.   He says it draws a man's attention and is immodest.  And for that reason, other than very loose lounge pants at home, and this year (due to all the snow!) allowing me to get a pair of ski pants...he asks that I wear skirts in public basically at all times.   In summer, maybe a loose, knee length pair of walking shorts for hiking in or something, that does not show the crotch or butt.

I find it frustrating at times, because the line has been blurred between modesty, style, and fashion SO dramatically, especially in larger city areas, that it is pretty much beyond changing, IMHO.   I'm a very casual person big on comfort, and tights and pantyhose are NOT comfortable on my stomach, haha, so it is a challenge to find skirts that look nice in the winter and keep my legs warm without fighting tights or leggings.   

Anyway, before you guys get upset with me...I do respect and obey my husband.  He does lead our home.  :-)    But just from my perspective...I defended skirts-only for YEARS until finally I was unable to defend it (as a 100% thing) anymore.  I have had pastors tell me why you can't preach skirts-only.  I have had every argument I've ever made proven wrong...all except the fact that if a guy has a problem looking at a woman's butt, then the pants are not modest.  

I do want to know, though...I know girls who lust after men's butts.  And I know men who wear pants and I'm sorry, but so many times there is an unsightly bulge in the front.  So...in all honesty....and true honest question...why is it okay to see a man's butt and, well, you know...in a pair of jeans?   People say "Well women don't lust like men".   Maybe I don't, and maybe you don't....but women do these days!!!!!!   And in the Bible, men wore their trousers as undergarments.

I really do want to understand that last question.

Once again, yes, I wear skirts in public.  FTR.  :-)

Kitagrl, I found black leggings (one size fits all) at Walgreens yesterday.  They were $5.00 per pair.  I bought four of them.  I don't have a problem with leggings being uncomfortable.  If you are interested, you might want to check out Walgreens if you have one in your area.  They were up at the checkout counter.

Archived