• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Cloud Or Chappell

• Members

Our church pianist, Jaron Canon, is extremely talented by God's gift (amazing child prodigy since he was 3 years old). He is the official pianist for WCBC chapel services along with Daniel Hopkins.  Lancaster Baptist Church (Paul Chapell) has two Sunday services.  One for the college students attending West Coast Baptist Bible College and one for the general population of Lancaster.  Jaron by conviction will only play in the WCBC services because the music in that service is markedly different than the music in the open to the public general service.  The instruction and teaching he is getting from Dr. Zachary at WCBC blurs the line often between CCM and Christ honoring music.  Jaron has been tasked to write and does write EVERY arrangement now by WCBC.  The last 3 plays put on by WCBC have featured music entirely written by Jaron.  Jaron has been my very close friend for over 12 years and I communicate with him or his family daily, so this is not hearsay from a friend of a friend of a friend.  While Paul Chapell has not yet fully embraced CCM, he is so close to it, it is not leaving him un-spotted.  If you are a student of WCBC and on this site, you can verify all that I just stated.

Bro. Garry

• Moderators

Our church pianist, Jaron Canon, is extremely talented by God's gift (amazing child prodigy since he was 3 years old). He is the official pianist for WCBC chapel services along with Daniel Hopkins.  Lancaster Baptist Church (Paul Chapell) has two Sunday services.  One for the college students attending West Coast Baptist Bible College and one for the general population of Lancaster.  Jaron by conviction will only play in the WCBC services because the music in that service is markedly different than the music in the open to the public general service.  The instruction and teaching he is getting from Dr. Zachary at WCBC blurs the line often between CCM and Christ honoring music.  Jaron has been tasked to write and does write EVERY arrangement now by WCBC.  The last 3 plays put on by WCBC have featured music entirely written by Jaron.  Jaron has been my very close friend for over 12 years and I communicate with him or his family daily, so this is not hearsay from a friend of a friend of a friend.  While Paul Chapell has not yet fully embraced CCM, he is so close to it, it is not leaving him un-spotted.  If you are a student of WCBC and on this site, you can verify all that I just stated.

Bro. Garry

2blikeJesus, I have a friend that's considering Bible college at West Coast. Don't like the thought of him going there , based on what I've heard about the adapted CCM. Thank you for the above information. Can I ask you - in your opinion, based on your familiarity/observations, would a young man going to college there be encouraged at all toward CCM as a result of the teaching or leadership there?

• Members

2blikeJesus, I have a friend that's considering Bible college at West Coast. Don't like the thought of him going there , based on what I've heard about the adapted CCM. Thank you for the above information. Can I ask you - in your opinion, based on your familiarity/observations, would a young man going to college there be encouraged at all toward CCM as a result of the teaching or leadership there?

My Pastor has two of his kids attending there, my associate Pastor has one son there, and then there is Jaron and Alyssa Canon.  So right now we have 5 of our best and brightest there. It is an excellent college and I would recommend it, BUT like any church or large organization it is not without it's faults or rough edges here and there. They are still solidly KJV only, and have very high standards of separation.  Music is the only thing that is wavering a bit, but then this is from Jaron and he has been under my Pastor for his entire life, because my Pastor has been at my church for over 20 years and is EXTREMELY strict on music.  I am not a musician, so I don't notice or hear some of the things he would reject a song over (such as jazz styling on even a single word).  With that in mind, and being a very talented musician and composer, Jaron's view on music may be much stricter than most where any kind of syncopated beat, or jazz styling may send up red flags to him that may fly right under the radar for others. 

Bro. Garry

P.S. Jaron once told me when we were discussing their music, how he is teaching them or pointing out things in the music that they have never considered.  Some of their leaning in the wrong direction could be through simple ignorance of music.  He told me Dr. Rasmussen, who he spent 24 hours a day for 6 weeks with, while on tour with the college singing group during summer, said "i will never listen to music the same way again'.

Edited by 2bLikeJesus

• Members

I know quite a few graduates several of which indulge in CCM while most don't.  Being in Florida, also know more than a few PCC graduates and most listen to CCM.  PCC compromised long ago.  My oldest daughter will go there soon and I pray that she does not succumb to it.

• Members

Our church pianist, Jaron Canon, is extremely talented by God's gift (amazing child prodigy since he was 3 years old). He is the official pianist for WCBC chapel services along with Daniel Hopkins. Lancaster Baptist Church (Paul Chapell) has two Sunday services. One for the college students attending West Coast Baptist Bible College and one for the general population of Lancaster. Jaron by conviction will only play in the WCBC services because the music in that service is markedly different than the music in the open to the public general service. The instruction and teaching he is getting from Dr. Zachary at WCBC blurs the line often between CCM and Christ honoring music. Jaron has been tasked to write and does write EVERY arrangement now by WCBC. The last 3 plays put on by WCBC have featured music entirely written by Jaron. Jaron has been my very close friend for over 12 years and I communicate with him or his family daily, so this is not hearsay from a friend of a friend of a friend. While Paul Chapell has not yet fully embraced CCM, he is so close to it, it is not leaving him un-spotted. If you are a student of WCBC and on this site, you can verify all that I just stated.

Bro. Garry

Dr.Zachary is a good example of why this is in the Scriptures:
1Co 6:9-10
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived:neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Guess which one describes Mike.

Anishinaabe

• Members

Dr.Zachary is a good example of why this is in the Scriptures:
1Co 6:9-10
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived:neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Guess which one describes Mike.

Anishinaabe

I personally know Dr. Zachary and he has been in my home, my Pastors home with me present, and Jarons home on several occasions. I count him a dear friend and absolutely a Brother in Christ.  I am going to assume you are like a lot of people stereotyping Dr. Zachary because he is a highly talented musician as "Effeminate" and his music and arts sensitivity come off to some as feminine.  Jaron fights the same stereotype at WCBC from the non-music majors and students there.  Would you call King David effeminate because he was not only a musician but played the harp?!  I would love to see you say that to his face someday.  I will tell you, you are WAY off base, and such an attack on a Brother in Christ is totally uncalled for.  Even with all the heresy's I have seen espoused on this site by some of the trolls we have had pass through, you are the first that has said something that made me so angry, I can hardly type this.  Yes, I wish Dr. Zachary would stand truer to what I believe should be Christ honoring music standards, but to characterize him as an abomination worthy of hell, I will not stand for. 

Bro. Garry

In His will.  By His power. For His glory.

• Administrators

I keep seeing topics by Paul Chappell and then here is one by David Cloud which exposes some of Chappell's dangerous associations with CCM, Calvinists, RIck Warren, 'contemplative mysticism' etc.. Who does the owner of this forum agree with; Chappell or Cloud?

http://www.wayoflife.org/index_files/paul_chappells_pragmatism_and_dangerous.html#unique-entry-id-1247

I do not agree 100% with either one and I really do not know which one I would lean toward agreeing with more. Both have some good qualities about them.

Like Dave mentioned, the feeds are there for balance and if you know of an RSS feed that you would like, just let me know and I'll consider adding it.

• Members
I personally know Dr. Zachary and he has been in my home, my Pastors home with me present, and Jarons home on several occasions. I count him a dear friend and absolutely a Brother in Christ. I am going to assume you are like a lot of people stereotyping Dr. Zachary because he is a highly talented musician as "Effeminate" and his music and arts sensitivity come off to some as feminine. Jaron fights the same stereotype at WCBC from the non-music majors and students there. Would you call King David effeminate because he was not only a musician but played the harp?! I would love to see you say that to his face someday. I will tell you, you are WAY off base, and such an attack on a Brother in Christ is totally uncalled for. Even with all the heresy's I have seen espoused on this site by some of the trolls we have had pass through, you are the first that has said something that made me so angry, I can hardly type this. Yes, I wish Dr. Zachary would stand truer to what I believe should be Christ honoring music standards, but to characterize him as an abomination worthy of hell, I will not stand for. Bro. Garry In His will. By His power. For His glory.
Amazing! You guessed it first try. I didn't call him an abomination, I just wonder why a man who wears a beard won't be allowed to serve in church leadership, but a man who is effeminate (an actual sin, listed in the Scriptures) can serve on staff at 3 different "Bible Colleges". I like how you set it up, as of I was attacking musicians. So discernment isn't your gift. I've known Mike and Angie, since they were dating, and I've seen that sissy change the music everywhere he goes. Maybe we should heed the Scriptures, and not trust men who make it to 40, or 50 years as a self proclaimed Christian, yet haven't become: "such were some of you". Of course, you could carry on defending sin, and be part of the problem in the IFB, and not the solution. BTW, I didn't call him "gay", so I'm not sure why you used the word "abomination". But I see that you over reacted in pretense at outrage, though you have obviously heard him called effeminate before, by your own admission. Cowardice in confronting sin, is a trademark in the Hyles brand, from whence MZ came, No? Anishinaabe Edited by prophet1

• Members

So now you are attacking Golden State Baptist College and Dr. Jack Trieber, West Coast Baptist College, and Hyles Anderson.  Three of the best colleges in America.  I graduated Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College, San Dimas, CA (since moved to Oklahoma City and named Heartland Baptist College) in 1982 when Dr. Jack Baskin was president, you have venom to spread against them and Dr. Baskin too?    You are treading on very thin ice with God in such attacks.

Numbers 12:1 (KJV)
1  And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman. 

Was Moses in the wrong for marrying an Ethiopian, when God clearly commanded Israel to marry ONLY within Israel?  Absolutely, Moses was wrong, BUT who did God punish in His fierce wrath?

Numbers 12:8-12 (KJV

8  With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?
9  And the anger of the LORD was kindled against them; and he departed.

10  And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous.
11  And Aaron said unto Moses, Alas, my lord, I beseech thee, lay not the sin upon us, wherein we have done foolishly, and wherein we have sinned.
12  Let her not be as one dead, of whom the flesh is half consumed when he cometh out of his mother's womb.  

We never hear of a single rebuke from God over the obvious shortcoming by Moses in doing this wrong, it was the attack on God's prophet and trying to usurp his leadership position that angered God.  So just keep attacking great men of God and the Bible Colleges that are turning out wonderful IFB Pastors by the hundreds.

Bro. Garry

• Members

So now you are attacking Golden State Baptist College and Dr. Jack Trieber, West Coast Baptist College, and Hyles Anderson.  Three of the best colleges in America.  I graduated Pacific Coast Baptist Bible College, San Dimas, CA (since moved to Oklahoma City and named Heartland Baptist College) in 1982 when Dr. Jack Baskin was president, you have venom to spread against them and Dr. Baskin too?    You are treading on very thin ice with God in such attacks.

Numbers 12:1 (KJV)
1  And Miriam and Aaron spake against Moses because of the Ethiopian woman whom he had married: for he had married an Ethiopian woman. 

Was Moses in the wrong for marrying an Ethiopian, when God clearly commanded Israel to marry ONLY within Israel?  Absolutely, Moses was wrong, BUT who did God punish in His fierce wrath?

Numbers 12:8-12 (KJV

8  With him will I speak mouth to mouth, even apparently, and not in dark speeches; and the similitude of the LORD shall he behold: wherefore then were ye not afraid to speak against my servant Moses?
9  And the anger of the LORD was kindled against them; and he departed.

10  And the cloud departed from off the tabernacle; and, behold, Miriam became leprous, white as snow: and Aaron looked upon Miriam, and, behold, she was leprous.
11  And Aaron said unto Moses, Alas, my lord, I beseech thee, lay not the sin upon us, wherein we have done foolishly, and wherein we have sinned.
12  Let her not be as one dead, of whom the flesh is half consumed when he cometh out of his mother's womb.  

We never hear of a single rebuke from God over the obvious shortcoming by Moses in doing this wrong, it was the attack on God's prophet and trying to usurp his leadership position that angered God.  So just keep attacking great men of God and the Bible Colleges that are turning out wonderful IFB Pastors by the hundreds.

Bro. Garry

Hyles Anderson is not a well liked college on Online Baptist, Bro. Garry.  I happened to mention that with pastors, "I eat the water mellon and spit out the seeds."  One of the mods said that "eventually someone will choke on those seeds."  This was in reference to Hyles Anderson.  You will notice that mention of certain colleges and pastors get shot down by the mods on this site.  I merely point out the good in IFB preachers b/c I wasn't raised IFB.  I came out of the RCC, and got saved later in life.  I am extremely thankful for the IFB and take the good with the bad in what preachers say.  Christians, brought up in the IFB faith, or Christianity in general, tend to look at the bad more than the good.  It is very disheartening to hear and see this.

• Members

Sadly, many IFBs have drawn themselves together in "camps" and it's not been for the betterment of IFBs or the cause of Christ.

All too often in the midst of all this we discern and respond in the flesh rather than in the Spirit. This always makes things worse.