• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Singers Of Southern Gospel Music

honebee873

• Members

What are some of your favorite groups and what songs do they/you sing?

I absolutely love the Dixons :) and Breakin Ground is a wonderful young group too. I also love the Leonard Fletcher Family. Oh and the Rochesters. I could go on and on. :icon_smile:

I sure do hope it is okay to ask this...I notice the old music forum is no longer on here. If not, please do forgive me and remove this thread.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Since the Southern Gospel stations stopped playing around here some years ago I'm not sure about who is who anymore.

From time to time I can pick up a station farther away and I like some of what I hear but surely can't remember who the artists are.

Many years ago I liked Karen Peck and New River, The Easters, that group Brian Free sang with, some trios, and others I can't even think of right now. While I liked a lot of the music, I never bothered to learn the names of all the people or groups singing.

We did get to hear Brian Free and Assurance a year or two ago when they came through the area. They had some good stuff but some of it was louder than I expected.

• Members

We usually just buy the CD's of music guests visiting out church at our pastor's request.  As for the Rochesters, their sons' groups The Brady Rochester Family & also The Brent Rochester Family have excellent songs and are very talented musicians as well.  Reggie Payte, The Epleys, The Kendrick Family are also excellent choices for Godly music.  If you have a chance to welcome any of these families to your church you will not be disappointed.

BTW I was looking for a music forum to find more gospel artists. Why did this get removed? I know everyone's tastes are a little different, but it could be helpful to find more Godly music for your home.

Thanks - Jerry

• Members

My favorite groups while not all "southern gospel" are:  The Hookers, Bruce Frye, The Tharp Brothers, Ron and Shelly Hamilton, The Marshall Family, David Nevue, Dr. Mike Zachary, Alvin Martinez, Jaron Cannon, and then all the CD's from West Coast Baptist College, and Golden State Baptist College.

Bro. Garry

• Members

Personally, I would prefer to hear our church choir sing than any group I know of. Also we are blessed to have several individuals and groups within the congregation that sing for us!!

I cannot remember the details; but there was a Pastor who received a call from one of these groups, who happened to be in the area and was free to come to his church. They were asking for a minimum amount of money (I believe at least $1000.00) before they would come. The Pastor told them No Thanks.

Some call it a ministry, I call it entertainment. I need the Spirit to move my Soul; not a spirit to move my Toes!! :amen:  and :amen:

• Members

I often wonder about that sort of thing.

When I am asked to preach at another church I do not ask "How much".
In fact if they said up front we are not going to pay you anything I would still go.
It is common for churches to give a gift of some sort, but it is not expected.

It is not asked for, not discussed at all in my experience.

Even when we have brought an evangelist or missionary over - which is an expensive prospect where we are - they never ask how much we will give them.
They come and trust that the Lord will provide for their needs - if not through us then some other way.

And I put preaching as far more important than singing.

I agree that if you are paying for a singer then you are most likely paying for entertainment.

• Members

It all boils down to whether or not the heart is in it to serve God and not the pocket book. That is with singing, preaching, any service for God. It should never be about what is in it for us, but for what it can do for the cause of Christ. I do not feel God calls singers though...the Bible says that it is by the foolishness of preaching people are saved, not singing. Singing and playing God-honoring music is worship to our Lord and you should not have to be "called" to worship Him. If it is done in the right way, it is pleasing to the Lord and He inhabits the praise of His people.

Salyan, I agree, just like with anything that has ever been done to glorify the Lord, the devil always has his counterfeit! :thumbdown:  Southern Gospel is not what it used to be when I was a young girl. We didn't have a television, so we always had our stereo set to the local Southern Gospel station. But the Southern Gospel I'm referring to above is more like the Rochesters, The Dixons, The Simpsons and Breakin Ground. They all sing a lot of hymns, write their own music and they play their own instruments. All honorable and pleasing to the Lord  :flip:     

• Moderators

I often wonder about that sort of thing.

When I am asked to preach at another church I do not ask "How much".
In fact if they said up front we are not going to pay you anything I would still go.
It is common for churches to give a gift of some sort, but it is not expected.

It is not asked for, not discussed at all in my experience.

Even when we have brought an evangelist or missionary over - which is an expensive prospect where we are - they never ask how much we will give them.
They come and trust that the Lord will provide for their needs - if not through us then some other way.

And I put preaching as far more important than singing.

I agree that if you are paying for a singer then you are most likely paying for entertainment.

Wish I could "like" this 10 or 20 times (or more, just for emphasis)!!!!!!!!!!

• Members

I'm not a big fan of "Southern Gospel", especially the loud electric stuff. But my family and I sing and play acoustic stringed instruments at churches and I like to take some of the old hymns and slightly "Bluegrassize" them. These are some of the songs we will be singing at our next venue at a church this coming Saturday night...

Are You Washed in the Blood

Better Farther On

No Not One

He Took Your Place

One More Valley

The Scarlet Purple Robe

Where the Soul Never Dies

Jesus Paid it All

Archived